Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

wembley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

I'm not a portrait photographer but had a Real Estate Agent client ask for family shot not too long ago and I was struck by these 2 images and the concept of eye contact. Yes eye contact with the camera is great but the 2nd image of eye contact with each other really struck me. There just seemed to be a much better connection between them that elevated the image.

what do you think?

BTW the client chose the 1st image.

free upload pictures

screen grab

and sorry for the sizing. Since picasa-web has moved to google photos I've not been able to upload so trying a new website for hosting and posting.

cheers
wembley

Edited on Jan 22, 2017 at 11:19 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2017 at 09:23 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

I do both types of shots in my portrait sessions, and people are pretty split about what they like. Sometimes, when they look at each other, it comes across pretty awkward, so every group has its own dynamic.

In your photos above, I'd select the first one, but my wife would definitely select the second one.

Jan 22, 2017 at 09:59 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

I like both equally, for different reasons. I usually try to include both types in my client sessions.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:02 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
I like both equally, for different reasons. I usually try to include both types in my client sessions.

I agree with Lisa and Ron on this.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

I think the ones looking at each other are best captured in between posed shots.
When they don't think your taking a photo.

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:20 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

OMG thanks for the responses from some of the best portrait photographers on here. With no disrespect to the others its great to get a reply from Lisa Holloway.

My feeling is that the eye contact in #2 creates a triangular connection between the 3 that is not present in #1. Maybe it is a photographer's view but that stands out better than the better body positioning of the mom in #1 than #2.

I'm trying to include both but getting a nice balance of eye contact ala #2 is pretty hard for a non portrait photographer.

Cheers
Wembley

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:18 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

wembley wrote:
OMG thanks for the responses from some of the best portrait photographers on here. With no disrespect to the others its great to get a reply from Lisa Holloway.

Great... For a moment, there I was, accidentally lumped into a "some of the best" group with Lisa. And then -- BAM! -- slammed right back into reality.

No disrespect taken. Really.

Jan 23, 2017 at 09:47 AM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eye contact - with each other or camera?

And for an alternate opinion, ... The second one is not a bad photo, but the guy on the left feels left out to me. The two on the right are looking at each other, and he has no one to engage with his eyes.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:39 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.