New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Travel case question

dmendlik
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel case question

I've got some new Profoto D1's added to my kit and my old case is broken down and not made anymore so looking for a new case. Looking to carry 2-3 D1's, stands etc. Any recommendations on what you are using to transport your gear is appreciated.

Edited on Jan 23, 2017 at 04:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:31 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel case question

Well I use pelican cases with padded dividers for the lights for the stands I would use one of several options. First would be the nalpak second would be a hard golf bag case from skb. Or if you really want a good option for both check out the logistics manager from think tank.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:53 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel case question

I'm using a Lightware 1629 for Profoto Acute2 kit, Compact 300ws and Pocket Wizards. A Tenba 48" bag contains C Stands, Road Rags and pretty much everything else needed. If I was flying with gear I'd buy a Fiberbilt tube, my mentor used one for years without an issue. Another option is to buy a hard golf club case and use straps to keep it shut during transport.

I do have an extra Lightware, drop me a note if you're interested.

Jan 23, 2017 at 01:43 PM
MayaTlab
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel case question

If you decide on a Production Manager from Think Tank, check the one you'll get by removing the padded insert (it isn't obvious, but there is a zipper around it and you can remove it), because I've tried three new ones and all of them had major structural issues, including riveting issues. Here's an example from the second one I tried. The problematic rivet in this photo helps to secure the front plastic feet at the bottom to the protective shells. On the defective side it just goes through the outer layer, not the inner one. The other two also had significant, structural riveting issues.

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:25 PM
dmendlik
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel case question

Yikes on the Think Tank, hope they took care of you with that. Thanks for everyone else who replied.

Jan 23, 2017 at 04:05 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel case question

Tenba air cases are seriously constructed. They are also seriously overpriced, but at least I got mine on the cheap. I have two, one for the Profoto Striplight S and one for the FresnelSpot. These have been across town and across the country. Tenba cases (sometimes branded as Profoto) have custom dividers and inserts to keep the designated equipment from banging around. You can find good deals on eBay with a little patience.

Jan 23, 2017 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bgateb760
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel case question

I have a Think Tank Production Manager 40 currently. C-stands, booms and rollers still have to be carried separately, but when it's loaded up like this, It's still extremely heavy, and I wouldn't want to deal with anything heavier. I don't often load it up like this, but I just wanted to see if it'd be possible to take most of my lighting gear in one bag, and i was able to fit:

Broncolor Move Pack
2 Bron MobiLED heads
2 Profoto B1's
4 B1 Batteries
Profoto B2 Pack
Extra B2 Battery
2 Profoto B2 heads
2 Kupo Click Stands
Profoto Deep Umbrella M
2 OCF Speed rings
RFS 2.2
Air Remote TTL-C
Light meter
Profoto Gel kits
other random bits like batteries, cable wraps, etc

outside pocket has Profoto 2' OCF Octa, 2 1x3' OCF Strips, 2x3' OCF Softbox

Jan 24, 2017 at 05:13 PM
dmendlik
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel case question

Damn, that is one packed bag!

Jan 24, 2017 at 05:29 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel case question

I have Tamrac (medium) rolling studio, Pelican, Lightware and Bowens cases.

The Tamrac is a monster but fits in the boot of my car, its loaded with 4 monolights, stands, modifiers etc.. The pull up handle is great and the wheels are really useful. When fully loaded its just on the limit of being able to be lifted so care is needed to where its being used. Ive instead, also packed 6-7 Lumedynes with stands, batteries and stuff too, but still very heavy.

I prefer the Pelican 1600's and 1620's. Stood the right way up they stand up in the boot of my car. Stacked, I can get two high by two wide. I prefer my location kits like this to be self contained so the 1600's have Manfrotto 001B stands. (The Tamrac has larger Arri 050KA stands). The equipment gets left in the car occasionally so being hidden is a big advantage.

bgateb760's case looks - to me - too wide to fit in a boot/trunk. This is similar to my Bowens case. The Bowens case came with a kit I bought with full size stands, consequently with padding its too long to fit in a boot/trunk so I need to be more careful where I'm going and whether the car will be left as the case needs to travel on the rear seats and can be in view. The other cases can be hidden.

Lightware are great too but most used are the Pelicans.

I have the wheely adapter for the Lightware which makes it more useful. The Tamrac and Bowens and larger Pelicans have wheels, these are useful for dragging equipment a distance from the car. You can also secure additional bags/cases to their extended handle.. Tamrac make a case with a pocket the handles actually pass through to secure them to the roller case which makes them more secure. I prefer this setup when flying.

For 2/3 Profoto's - with stands - I'd measure your mode of transport then get a case to fit in the width then buy stands to fit and make sure you can get them to fit in the case. Its surprising how unmanageable stands can be when it comes to fitting them in cases. They just don't want to fit. The Arri 050KA's I use are used a lot by video and film guys and they're pretty much ideal. Like many ideal products they were discontinued (!) but can still be bought as used items and I would highly recommend them.

Feb 03, 2017 at 02:24 AM
sungphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Travel case question

Would you fly with this bag similarly packed? Guessing that would be over 50 lbs all told?

Oct 14, 2017 at 03:04 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Travel case question

Either the think tank production cases or pelican cases with dividers.

Oct 30, 2017 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password