New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2017 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

marsh9077

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a very very poor experience with Gitzo/Manfrotto's customer service. If not do you have any contacts there that can help me?

To start off with I own a total of 3 different Gitzo tripods all were over $1,000 with one of them being the new GT5543LS that I bought a couple month ago, so yeah I am a very good paying customer. Well one of the plastic clips inside the middle leg broke so I called Gitzo (really Manfrotto) and the person I spoke with knew nothing about tripods, lucky for them I had found a parts diagram on there website way be for she could. She told me email some pictures and a copy of my receipt to them so I did. A couple days went by and nothing so I called again and got another person that new nothing about tripods and could not find any record for my warranty request. So I emailed them again, called and nothing again. At this point I just told them I will just buy the part but I guess that requires them to find it then call me back to give me pricing availability and take my order. So now I am waiting for that.

Now a days with all the other tripods companies out there making just a good if not better products I don't think my next tripod will be a Gitzo after this experience. I am very disappointed in them as I really do think they make a very good product however that is nothing if they cant provide there customers with the support they need to continue purchasing there product.

Also if there is anyone that is on the fence between two different tripod companies you might want to take this factor into consideration.

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:29 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Gitzo is pretty well known for weak customer service. Lots of complaints on multiple forums.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:07 PM
SSO-Images
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

As a customer, I have one simple principle that I live by: DON'T give ANY business to any company that doesn't give a damn about the customers. Sorry that this isn't of any help to your current situation, but I'm sick and tired of these companies with lousy customer services while they've gotten their bank accounts fatten by these very customers to begin with. Gitzo isn't the only tripod company; nowadays, there are several excellent options. I don't buy Gitzo/Manfrotto products.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:24 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Unfortunately your experience is normal with Manfrotto Distribution. I go to the PhotoPlus expo in NYC year after year and talk to Manfrotto about their appalling service and every year they tell me they're fixing it and every year I say no you're not. The repair service is good because that's done by CRIS in Arizona, an independent equipment repair company. Parts service sucks because that's handled by Manfrotto Distribution.

I used to have several Gitzos and now I only have one, a 3-series systematic which has been durable. I swapped out my other Gitzos for Benro tripods which are Gitzo clones and in my opinion, better tripods as well. I've used Benro parts on my Gitzo and vice-versa. You can also get Gitzo parts from Gitzo Spares in the UK who have a decent reputation. I'll almost certainly not buy another Gitzo while I live in the US. Service in Europe is quite good.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:31 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Ever since Manfrotto became the distributor (manufacturer?) of Gitzo products, the QC of their gear and responsiveness to customers have declined. While I still own and use two Gitzo tripods, I have had numerous ball heads fail as well as problems with tripod leg connections. At one point, after my tripod was at Gitzo for 3 months, I broke down a purchased an Induro leg-set. Since that first purchase, I have been an advocate for Induro products as I feel that you get as good for less with better customer service.

I know that my thoughts did not resolve your issue, but I definitely agree with the notion that as consumers of high-end products, we deserve better from the manufacturer.

One final thought... is their a brick and mortar camera store near you that can help? I relied on my local pro shop to intervene when Gitzo took so long to repair my legs.

good luck,
bruce

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:36 PM
marsh9077

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

It sound like the general consensus is Gitzo has terrible customer service and my experience is just normal. That's too bad for a company with such a well known name in the industry.

I guess I have just lucked out and never had an issue with my tripods till now.

SSO-Images I agree with you about customer service, knowing all this about Gitzo my next tripod will defiantly not be giving my money to Gitzo.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

OwlsEyes wrote:
Ever since Manfrotto became the distributor (manufacturer?) of Gitzo products, the QC of their gear and responsiveness to customers have declined.

Gitzo is the maker of Gitzo tripods. They are manufactured in the city of Bassano del Grappa which is just north-west of Venice in northern Italy. Manfrotto is the distributor and both are part of the Vitec Group. I'll qualify your statement above by repeating that its only in the US that there are severe problems with parts service. If you travel internationally with a Gitzo tripod you're generally in good hands with the same Manfrotto Distribution that provides such lousy service in this country.

Jan 22, 2017 at 01:55 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

peter_n wrote:
Gitzo is the maker of Gitzo tripods. They are manufactured in the city of Bassano del Grappa which is just north-west of Venice in northern Italy. Manfrotto is the distributor and both are part of the Vitec Group. I'll qualify your statement above by repeating that its only in the US that there are severe problems with parts service. If you travel internationally with a Gitzo tripod you're generally in good hands with the same Manfrotto Distribution that provides such lousy service in this country.

My original Gitzo's dated back to the early 1990's. My first was a 310 Studex that was manufactured in France. I don't think I could beat that thing any harder, yet it never failed me. Somewhere around 2005 the production of Gitzo gear moved from one factory to another. Based on my own use, I feel as if the quality of production diminished during that transition. It appears to me that much of the super high end tripod market and their buyers have decided to put their dollars in Really Right Stuff's hands rather than Gitzo. This, however, may not be true for those who live in Europe.

bruce

Jan 22, 2017 at 04:09 PM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

It has been a while for me, but I had two cases of very poor customer support for warranty or parts situations. For one thing I ended up buying some structural adhesive and doing the warranty repair my self, for another I ended up with finding Gitzo Spares in the UK, and they were great for parts. I have since been migrating to Really Right Stuff for my tripod needs, especially since they now offer a pretty complete lineup. Just bought my 4th RRS tripod, and I now own one from each series. I sure wish I had purchased the RRS series 2 sooner.

RRS is not a perfect company, but they are very good. I have always had great customer service, and have talked to people that know their product, or can get a correct answer to a complex question. In my case, I am very willing to pay a bit more for excellent products and great customer service. I do also like that everything is made in the US, but that is not a primary factor in choosing to buy from them.

Jan 22, 2017 at 06:26 PM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Gitzo does not honor the Lifetime Warranty they had when I bought my tripods.

Ries does honor it with their products.

Jan 23, 2017 at 09:32 AM
Snapshott
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

I can only mirror what other have said. I too had to use Gitzo Spares out of the UK. It still took over 4 months to get the parts as they were back orded and then discontinued by Gitzo (so not a Spare problem). I've had prior issues too. So Gitzo is off my list of future purchases.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Daniel Smith wrote:
Gitzo does not honor the Lifetime Warranty they had when I bought my tripods.

Ries does honor it with their products.

actually they do. the caveat is that it is written to be subject to interpretation. that being understood it is their interpretation that is final.

Edited on Jan 23, 2017 at 10:16 AM · View previous versions

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Didn't know anyone still bought Gitzo. Their support has been nonexistent for years. RRS kind of owns that market now.

1-better designs
2-better support

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

not arguing the design/build/support facts in the US (which are subject to the whims of the buyer/fan)

there are plenty of Gitzo legsets sold around the world where RRS has no real representation (which is extremely limited outside of the US). so with the variety and global reach Gitzo is still the volume master.

I have 3.5 RRS legsets

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

Feisol...great products, excellent price...outstanding customer support. What else does one want?

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM
EGrav
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

I have a Feisol. Love it - and sold my old Gitzo.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:35 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

From Gitzo USA's site:
Please note: Manfrotto Distribution is authorized to service and ship equipment within the United States only. For all service, in or out of warranty, a valid U.S. shipping address must accompany the repair.

CRIS is open from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm (MST) Monday through Friday.
All packages should be shipped to:
Manfrotto Service @ C.R.I.S.
250 North 54th Street
Chandler, AZ 85226
Phone: (480)940-1103
Email: [email protected]

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:04 PM
ross attix
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

My reply was to the OP who is from the US, as am I. Brand popularity outside the US is irrelevant to his question.

sjms wrote:
not arguing the design/build/support facts in the US (which are subject to the whims of the buyer/fan)

there are plenty of Gitzo legsets sold around the world where RRS has no real representation (which is extremely limited outside of the US). so with the variety and global reach Gitzo is still the volume master.

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:15 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

sjms wrote:
actually they do. the caveat is that it is written to be subject to interpretation. that being understood it is their interpretation that is final.

unless you want to go to court

---------------------------

as per an above post, it is Man-frodo, Gitzo's importer, that is the cause of the trouble - parts are not stocked but instead are sent over from Europe on an an needed basis, usually with a detour thru the asteroid belt

OTOH, I have 3 Gitzo tripods (or maybe 4??) and have had only 2 issues in 30 years

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:36 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Very Poor Experience With Gitzo Customer Service

rw11 wrote:
unless you want to go to court

---------------------------

as per an above post, it is Man-frodo, Gitzo's importer, that is the cause of the trouble - parts are not stocked but instead are sent over from Europe on an an needed basis, usually with a detour thru the asteroid belt

OTOH, I have 3 Gitzo tripods (or maybe 4??) and have had only 2 issues in 30 years

Doesn't matter where the problem originates, the result is the same...your are Sh*t out of luck holding a gitzo.

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:51 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.