Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Matt.Dieterich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Hi guys!

Haven't posted in a while, just moved down to TX to get my teaching cert, so things have been crazy.

Here's a shot of the wildest sunset I saw from Mount Rainier Nat'l Park while working there in 2015. While working over at Sunrise doing night sky programs, forest fire smoke filled the air and set the sky off into an incredible array of color on August 10th. I stood in awe watching the red, orange, and pink colors fill the sky! Fortunately, I had my camera ready on the tripod for this once in a lifetime view.

Camera details :
Nikon D800, 27mm, F/11, 1/8th second, ISO 400, GND filter.

Please let me know how I can improve this shot. Looking back now, I wish I would have done a longer exposure to get movement in the clouds with a ND filter, but that is hindsight with the skills that I have learned since then.

Cheers,

Matt

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:34 PM
junglialoh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Majestic Mt Rainer is shown above hill.

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:03 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mount Rainier Sunset

junglialoh wrote:
Majestic Mt Rainer is shown above hill.

Thanks! Such a gorgeous volcano!

Jan 22, 2017 at 03:12 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any feedback or critique on how I could improve this shot? Thanks so much!

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:04 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Hey Matt,

An overall nice scene with some vibrant colors. The first thought that came to mind was a simple crop off the left side to lose where the side of Mount Rainier starts go back up. I would crop on that left side so it mountain was still angling down. I think where it starts to go back up distracts and causes the mind to then wonder whats over there rather then immersing itself in the scene.

Jim

Jan 26, 2017 at 02:27 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mount Rainier Sunset

You captured an amazing sky here! I would suggest you try a 16:9 crop and trim just a smidge off the left hand side. See what it looks like. you could also try to bring up the exposure just a bit on the lower right hand corner. I would also maybe try to do some dodging on the side of the peaks facing the sun just to add a bit of drama. Very nice image though.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:51 AM
film_4ever
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Typical noob mistake ... horizon is crooked !

Beautiful image. Wonderful capture of colors.

Thanks for sharing !!

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Other than the crop suggested, the trees look a bit tilted on the left side, but not the right.
Could be some WA distortion. Try that & see if it fits at 16x9.
Great scene though, mix of colors and of course the majesty of Rainer

Thanks for posting

Dan

Jan 26, 2017 at 01:43 PM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mount Rainier Sunset

My 2 cents: I too would be inclined to crop on the left up to the col. I might also try cropping on the right and some of the foreground to put the small clump of pines right in the lower right corner. Colors can be all over the place at that time of day, but I would have expected the light on the mountain to be a bit warmer. Maybe do some experimenting with WB? Great shot at any rate.

Jan 26, 2017 at 02:41 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Hi Jim, Thank you very much for the feedback. I will take a look at cropping off that left hand side!

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:45 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Hi Gary,

I appreciate your tips about cropping and dodging, I will give both of those a try. The tree on the right really took a hit in exposure since my GND filter, I will see if I can lighten it up a bit more.

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:46 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Thanks Dan I appreciate your feedback and tips!

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Thank you so much for the tips and advice. I will give the cropping and WB adjustments a shot.

Feb 05, 2017 at 03:48 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Amazing taking a look at this photo weeks after I first "finished" it. In this new version, I warmed up the color balance to get rid of the blue, which wasn't there out in the field, and did a 16x9 crop. Thank you everyone for the tips.

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:12 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mount Rainier Sunset

New version is a stunning shot and I like the processing much more. Great capture!

Feb 05, 2017 at 04:51 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Thank you very much for the kind words! I am much happier with the new version!

Feb 05, 2017 at 05:17 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Beautiful moment at Mt Rainier! Congrats.

Nice job on the revision.

The upper left darkness of the sky was bugging me just a bit. Also the eyeflow starting from the right dominant tree (instead of a left to right lead in). But overall beautiful and what a treat it must have been to be there taking it!

Feb 07, 2017 at 02:02 PM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mount Rainier Sunset

Mark Metternich wrote:
Beautiful moment at Mt Rainier! Congrats.

Nice job on the revision.

The upper left darkness of the sky was bugging me just a bit. Also the eyeflow starting from the right dominant tree (instead of a left to right lead in). But overall beautiful and what a treat it must have been to be there taking it!

Hey Mark,

I appreciate your feedback. I always am so grateful to learn techniques and have critique from advanced shooters like yourself.

Feb 07, 2017 at 07:03 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.