New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

DougVaughn
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

I wanted to experiment with new studio lights and found a model who is also a dancer (and a nurse as her real job). After doing some simple portrait lighting, we wanted to try dance motion with strong rim lights. I took a couple test shots to figure out the exposure from the front, intending that to be my key light, but she really liked the heavy shadows from underexposure and wanted me to kill the front light altogether. I talked her into just enough so her face wouldn't be in complete shadow.

She's looking for color, but I prefer black and white for my portfolio, so I'll do both with a set of 8 images. Below is the first processed two different ways in B&W. I'm curious which is more appealing to others, or if there's something I should be doing differently altogether?

I added the color image for good measure. I'm color blind and fight terribly with skin tones, so if it's too red, too yellow, too green or something, feedback is appreciated.

Jan 21, 2017 at 09:43 PM
tobycat2
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

Skin tone looks good to me.

Jan 22, 2017 at 04:57 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

Doug, I personally like the drama of the first here over the second one. Is that some platinum toning in the first?
Douglas

Jan 22, 2017 at 06:53 PM
DougVaughn
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

Thanks Douglas. It's actually coffee toning in Tonality Pro. I stole the cross-process coloring of their coffee preset (don't remember exact name) but did my own contrast, clarity, structure, glow, etc. to taste.

The second is NIK Silver Efex, which I usually prefer, but I'm starting to like what I can do with portraits in Tonality. The first was my preference also, but I lose objectivity too easily after spending a lot of time on an image.

Jan 22, 2017 at 09:00 PM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

Beautiful, the first one is my fav.

Marcelo

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:52 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

I prefer the toning and soft quality of #1...nicely done.

Bob

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:03 AM
tomandmarj
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

I like #2. the b&W processing here brings out more contrasts and details, especially in the skirt. this enhances the depth of the image. an interesting project.
regards, tom

Jan 23, 2017 at 05:12 PM
lazlo369
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&W Portrait - Feedback Appreciated

Extremely well photographed. The color image looks perfect, no odd hues at all.

Jan 23, 2017 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.