New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

Jack Kelley
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

I returned a Mk II body because the front dial was not operating crisply. It gave barely perceptible tactile feedback at each stop. Words that come to mind to describe it: mushy, soft, spongy. With even thin gloves on, it's almost impossible to know by feel alone that you've hit the desired setting. I returned the body as defective.

Well, the replacement arrived, and it has exactly the same problem. Front dial only. Given the huge variance in serial numbers from the original, the odds against coincidence seem astronomical. I''m guessing Olympus produced a whole run of bodies with this issue.

Has anyone else here encountered it?

Jan 21, 2017 at 06:55 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

Jack Kelley wrote:
I returned a Mk II body because the front dial was not operating crisply. It gave barely perceptible tactile feedback at each stop. Words that come to mind to describe it: mushy, soft, spongy. With even thin gloves on, it's almost impossible to know by feel alone that you've hit the desired setting. I returned the body as defective.

Well, the replacement arrived, and it has exactly the same problem. Front dial only. Given the huge variance in serial numbers from the original, the odds against coincidence seem astronomical. I''m guessing Olympus produced a whole run of bodies with this
...Show more

Mine is the same way. By contrast, the dial by the thumb is much firmer and gives more tactile feedback. Like you, I wish the front dial was firmer.

Jan 21, 2017 at 07:06 PM
RobCD
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

My front dial is not as "crisp" as the rear dial but I haven't found it to be an issue.

Jan 21, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Jack Kelley
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

Thanks, mitesh and Rob. Good to know. I guess I'll keep this one. Looks like a long wait for another. B&H said their last shipment wasn't enough to fulfill all orders, and given that you guys are seeing the same behavior, there's no guarantee a replacement would solve it. It's mainly a minor muscle-memory issue from body to body, but clearly a manufacturing defect since both dials on my other two bodies work as expected. Funny thing is, I got three with consecutive serial numbers, and it was the one in the middle that differed. Built by an under-caffeinated robot, maybe.

Jan 21, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Paul_100A

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 Mark II front dial soft

Mine too.
I was going to ask the same question.
I wonder if the dial mush will subside with use?
I played with the store's demo for a while and I do not remember noticing any mush.
My mushy front dial was close to the first thing I noticed.
I put some use on the camera this evening and the actual functional operation of the dial did not bother me though.
I also wonder if this mushy is a designed 'sound dampening' feature being that the new camera is 4K capable. Perhaps Oly engineers wanted a quieter camera when recording?
Paul

Jan 22, 2017 at 04:24 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password