Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

heikoM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I think this looks quite awesome:

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-M/Leica-M10

heiko

Jan 21, 2017 at 09:56 AM
trashschollie

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

Best digital M ever.
Wedding? Never!

Jan 21, 2017 at 09:59 AM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

Really unsure on this one. I get all the benefits over my M240. And I like the SL sensor. The problem is that as I settle for an SL/S system for most of my shooting the M becomes a third body. Once my SL 50 Summilux arrives I won't pull it out for weddings. Plus the things that most annoy me on the M (mandatory LENR and no real long exposures) are carried to the new model.

OTOH, a daily walk around camera, that's smaller and lighter than before is where this camera makes sense. And at a wedding the size would be useful to be really unobtrusive. I almost always pull out the M for at least a few shots. Plus the tilting EVF is really a useful thing and the M10 allows off centre focusing. The M system finally has a decent TTL flash that matches the size of the camera.

The sensible part of me says yo keep what I've got. But don't be surprised if, after I collect my 50, I also end up with a new M body.

Gordon

Jan 21, 2017 at 03:28 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

With EVFs, the rangefinder has never been less relevant and M lenses are often surpassed in quality by other brands now too. The M cameras are nice luxury items but not much more.

Thanks for the laugh leica:

Since the release of the Leica M3 at Photokina in 1954, every single M-System camera has represented the pinnacle of innovation for its day.

Jan 21, 2017 at 04:10 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

Mark_L wrote:
With EVFs, the rangefinder has never been less relevant...

Unless you enjoy using a rangefinder rather than an EVF...

Jan 21, 2017 at 04:20 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

canerino wrote:
Unless you enjoy using a rangefinder rather than an EVF...

+1

Jan 21, 2017 at 04:46 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I've always been intrigued by Leica. I played around with a friends and one at the Leica store here in DC. Problem is ive never had that kind of extra money to play. Maybe one day. Until then I'll stick with my X-Pro2

Jan 21, 2017 at 05:00 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

This is a very intriguing camera...
I obviously don't shoot color enough for it to replace my D3s or have any desire to carry a 3rd camera on me but by the looks of it it is a winner.

I just upgraded to the Monochrom V2 and it is a remarkable improvement over the original.
Fast shooting, large buffer, all ISOs are 100% usable.
I am super impressed.

If the M10 can shoot at 12k iso like the Sonys it will be the camera to have for Leica folks in the next few years.

Of course Leica prices are still high but they did manage to at least not make the price any higher than previous offerings (even reduced it a bit).

Not everyone enjoys the RF experience but for those that do the M10 is finally looking like a legitimate working persons camera.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:05 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I spent a good hour with one yesterday and it is a sweet little camera. Lots of small improvements that add up to a noticeably better camera.

Stupidly expensive? Yes. Worth it? Maybe. Tempting? Definitely.

Gordon

Jan 23, 2017 at 03:28 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

flash wrote:
I spent a good hour with one yesterday and it is a sweet little camera. Lots of small improvements that add up to a noticeably better camera.

Stupidly expensive? Yes. Worth it? Maybe. Tempting? Definitely.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

what did you think about the bigger viewfinder?

heiko

Jan 23, 2017 at 03:39 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I like it. Difference is subtle until you need it. When I started it had a 50 lux chrome on it. Couldn't see much difference to mine except that there is more around framelines. M10 seemed easier to focus then my type 240. Turns out it was the 50 black chrome. I don't like tabs and I think it's also better damped than the normal lux. When I swapped lenses my M240 was just as easy to focus with the 50 black chrome.

Then I tried a 35mm. Much better on the M10. More around the frame. I imaging 28mm shooters would love the new RF.

Thought the focus accuracy was the same until I tried a 135APO. The M10 is much easier to focus with longer lenses. The little change in magnification makes a real world difference with longer lenses.

They had no M10's left to buy so I bought the 50 black chrome lux.

Seriously, I was 10% interested before and now I'm 80% going to get one. It's luverly....

Gordon

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:31 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

New rule :: if you get excited by this camera and can justify the expense, you're not allowed to call the 5D4 overpriced.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:38 AM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I'm as big a Leica fan as they come (except for maybe Doug!). The M10 (or any new Leica) does not seem like a wise business purchase (unless you can somehow manage to capitalize on 'Leica Weddings'). The body is just the start of the cost for Leica. Conversely, it seems that you can buy an extremely capable wedding kit for the cost of one M10 + Lenses.

Great personal tool, probably not the best for weddings.

Jan 24, 2017 at 08:19 AM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

I could only see using a Leica for weddings if it's *really* your thing and you're committed to the approach it offers (demands). I imagine you'd have to pitch it to clients the same way a film shooter pitches the benefits of film.

Having said that, I have an M9 and would not hesitate to pull it out if I ever got a chance to breathe during a wedding, which has happened on occasion. The M10 looks killer!

Jan 24, 2017 at 04:52 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

canerino wrote:
I'm as big a Leica fan as they come (except for maybe Doug!). The M10 (or any new Leica) does not seem like a wise business purchase (unless you can somehow manage to capitalize on 'Leica Weddings'). The body is just the start of the cost for Leica. Conversely, it seems that you can buy an extremely capable wedding kit for the cost of one M10 + Lenses.

Great personal tool, probably not the best for weddings.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just doesn't make sense business wise. However, for personal use I really would like the new M Mono. Love the files it produces. Color photography is so overrated.

Jan 24, 2017 at 09:29 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

As someone who does shoot Leica as my working cameras I will say this.....

Shoot what you want and don't take my experience as Gospel..... but......

I shoot Leica at weddings and other work stuff because I want to shoot with gear i like. I'm under no illusion that my M, S or SL will take noticeably better images than someone with a Canon. They won't. It isn't a business decision either. I've gotten to a position when sometimes I can make, what is, a stupid business decision with no consequences. I worked fucking hard to afford my Leica's and I *want* to shoot with them. So I do. I have more cameras than most people have socks but I still always end up back where I want to be. Shooting my Leica's. Last weekend I took an SL and an S to shoot a wedding with my M and a 50 purely as a backup. So there's my bag, open as I reach to put a 50 on the SL, with the M in a pocket ready to go. "I'll just grab a quick one with the M 'cause it's quicker than changing"...... 200 shots later I'm having a ball. This isn't work anymore. I feel great. So are the photos.

Middle of reception and i'm still playing between the cameras. The only groomsman hands me a beer and says, "You look like you're having so much fun. Don't you get sick of it?"

I'm not recommending anyone go out and buy an M10. You won't make better images and you won't make more money. But if you already own a camera like an M9 or Monochrom (or anything at all of ANY brand for that matter) and you love shooting with it but you don't shoot it when you work.... Why not? Why are you not shooting with the tool that gives you the most enjoyment to shoot with? Why are you not feeding the soul as well as your bank account?

We're so obsessed with megapickles, focus speeds etc. We argue relentlessly over a third of a stop in DR between cameras. We discuss about how our clients can't see the difference between lens X and Y. We make sensible business decisions. How can I market this? AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!

We are creatives. We do our best work when we're on the other side of the line marked "sensible". Yes it's going to make you reliable to shoot with a set of 2.8 zooms and a 1 series Canon. Yes it's sensible. It's the smart thing to do. It's safe. But there's a saying that goes, "A boat is safest when it's docked in the harbour. But that's not what boats are designed to do."

If you've got your shit together, try painting with a different brush. Not for the client. Not for the money. Just for yourself. They won't see the difference but you will and it will make you happy. And you might just grow as a creative. Just a little bit. Shoot a few frames at your next wedding with your Leica or with film or an Instax. Because if you're shooting your personal work that way I'll bet real money you really would like to shoot the same stuff at work. So just do it. Stop being so sensible and be a creative.

Gordon

Jan 25, 2017 at 01:50 AM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

flash wrote:
As someone who does shoot Leica as my working cameras I will say this.....

Shoot what you want and don't take my experience as Gospel..... but......

I shoot Leica at weddings and other work stuff because I want to shoot with gear i like. I'm under no illusion that my M, S or SL will take noticeably better images than someone with a Canon. They won't. It isn't a business decision either. I've gotten to a position when sometimes I can make, what is, a stupid business decision with no consequences. I worked fucking hard to afford my Leica's and I *want*
...Show more

I'm saving this quote. Well said my friend. Well said. I think it's pretty cool that you shoot with the cameras you love. I've always wanted to shoot the cameras I enjoy most at a wedding but never tried until 12/10/16. I left my two Nikon D4Ss at home and took two Fuji Xpro2s to Puerto Rico for my final wedding of the year. It was PHENOMENAL!!! It was like I fell in love again. Since then I have gone back to my D4Ss. One day I'll have the balls to do it again.

Jan 25, 2017 at 02:34 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

flash wrote:
I shoot Leica at weddings and other work stuff because I want to shoot with gear i like. I'm under no illusion that my M, S or SL will take noticeably better images than someone with a Canon. They won't. It isn't a business decision either. I've gotten to a position when sometimes I can make, what is, a stupid business decision with no consequences. I worked fucking hard to afford my Leica's and I *want* to shoot with them. So I do. I have more cameras than most people have socks but I still always end up back where
...Show more

This is pretty much completely the opposite of what I believe the requirements of a good business model is and what one should be looking at in that regard.

It's also one of, if not the best post's I have read in a very long time.

Well said mate. I am argumentative frequently to try and be proven wrong and have my eyes opened and to be blunt, Fk all people have ever done that. You have and really won my respect for what and the way you said it.
Don't be surprised if next week I am on my same old rant forgetting most of the valid points you have made here but also don't think I disagree with them. Sometimes I just have trouble remembering the good advise and wisdom I have been given.

I think your honesty is what really won me over. It seems to me that many people try to justify their unwarranted toys from all sorts of BS excuses and garbage but few ever admit the real reason they want them and that's to play or enjoy themselves. That's fine by me, what shits me to tears is people trying to insult my intelligence that they NEED them. Good on you for having the balls to say it like it is.

We all have our toys, I'm going to buy another Vintage engine tomorrow. Have a heap, I set them up as generators and play with them for no practical use other than I find peace and enjoyment with them. If people do the same with their cameras, I don't understand why they just don't have the balls to say so rather than make up crap about it being because they want to offer their clients the best or some other see through crap.

You comments are pretty much against everything I have believed and argued in the past but I can't tell you how good it feels to finally be basically be proven wrong and feel like I have learned and gained some knowledge in in that.
It's a craving I have had for a LONG time that's finally got a bit of satisfaction.

Well said and much respect to you Gordon.

Next time I'm in Melbourne dodging Physcos on Bourke street ( yeah, I was right bloody there, never been to Melbourne before and what happens the day I am on that very street?? Still pretty freaked out over it. ) Maybe I could buy you a beer or 5?

Jan 25, 2017 at 08:21 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

Five or so years ago my wife and I were in SAMY's in LA. We took the elevator up to the Leica section. I asked the sales representative if I could look at the M8. As Lied der Deutschen played in the background, I held a digital Leica for the first time. After a few moments, my wife leaned over and said: "You only live once, I think you should get it."

Sadly, my Scots nature kicked in and I left with a new camera bag as a consolation prize. I wonder if that free pass has an expiration date...

I live in fear that Leica will follow up the M10 with a third generation Monochrom. If there was a similar price reduction, I may do something foolish.

I'm with Gordon. I have a love/hate relationship with my M3. It's like driving a vintage MG TD. It's quirky and hard to learn to drive well. There are other cars that outperform it in many aspects. Yet, after you learn to work with its idiosyncrasies, both using the M3 and driving the MG can be magical.

Jan 25, 2017 at 01:26 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · anyone go for the new Leica M10?

glort wrote:
This is pretty much completely the opposite of what I believe the requirements of a good business model is and what one should be looking at in that regard.

It's also one of, if not the best post's I have read in a very long time.

Well said mate. I am argumentative frequently to try and be proven wrong and have my eyes opened and to be blunt, Fk all people have ever done that. You have and really won my respect for what and the way you said it.
Don't be surprised if next week I am on my
...Show more

Wow, you admitted that you were wrong. Cool!

But you know, there were other people here, telling the same thing just with different wording... (0:

heiko

Jan 25, 2017 at 02:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.