New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Dropping In

Funonthebun

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dropping In

I've been lurking around FM for few months now, trying to learn from this resource as much as I can. I've had my kit since late summer and have been trying to shoot as often as I can here in Utah.

That said, I've been taking the camera out backcountry skiing since we've been having one of the best winters in several years. Below is a shot of my friend dropping into a pretty steep slope, which I've sort of buried myself into. There was a pretty bad flare next to the sun spikes that I tried to remove, but I'm not too happy with it. I was wondering if y'all have any advice to get rid of these? Any other comments or critiques are more than welcome!

Jan 20, 2017 at 02:09 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dropping In

Hey Fun, congrats on posting - I know it can be a big step to put yourself "out there"!

Also, welcome to FM and PC. Hopefully if you've been lurking you know that this place is pretty freaking awesome, so hopefully you get something out of it.

Pretty envious of you being out West! If I were out there I'd probably be a landscape dude myself after seeing some of stuff that gets posted from those parts.

Very neat image that you've got here - beautiful as well. A nice sense of scale, height and depth in play and having your buddy boarding down the edge adds an extra layer of interest.

I would probably look to crop out the top portion of the image to put the focus more on the snowboarder/landscape as well as reduce the visual contention that sunburst introduces. I feel removing that piece allows the viewer to lock onto the contrast of the red jacket on white snow and then follow the natural path into the meat of the landscape.

Have you got any room to add on the bottom? I feel a bit extra room will enhance the image a fair amount.

And as a nit, it seems that some of the snow in the scene could have either blown or close to blown highlights.

Below is a quick rework of your image. Please let us know if you'd prefer us NOT to rework your stuff!

Again, welcome!!

Jeff

Jan 20, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Funonthebun

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dropping In

beavens wrote:
Pretty envious of you being out West! If I were out there I'd probably be a landscape dude myself after seeing some of stuff that gets posted from those parts.

Have you got any room to add on the bottom? I feel a bit extra room will enhance the image a fair amount.

And as a nit, it seems that some of the snow in the scene could have either blown or close to blown highlights.

Below is a quick rework of your image. Please let us know if you'd prefer us NOT to rework your stuff!

Again, welcome!!

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Utah is a special place, especially so because I grew up in Houston.

Unfortunately I don't have any shots w/ more room on the bottom. We were in a hurry to get moving before the sun cooked south facing aspects, thus composition was almost an afterthought.

I like your crop, definitely focuses the viewer on the splitboarder.

And yes, y'all can have your way my stuff.

Cole

Jan 20, 2017 at 03:19 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dropping In

My initial impression was the same as Jeff's, except I would crop it even more and entirely get rid of that annoying sunburst.

Jan 20, 2017 at 03:45 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dropping In

Funonthebun wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have any shots w/ more room on the bottom. We were in a hurry to get moving before the sun cooked south facing aspects, thus composition was almost an afterthought.

No worries - feel free to take some creative liberties and add a little in.

---------------------------------------------

Camperjim wrote:
My initial impression was the same as Jeff's, except I would crop it even more and entirely get rid of that annoying sunburst.

Was on the fence about the remainder as it felt a bit tight cropping it out. Perhaps a crop + clone would be the best avenue?

Jeff

Jan 20, 2017 at 04:43 PM
Funonthebun

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dropping In

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RpHdpc]

Crop + clone to get rid of the sun

Jan 20, 2017 at 07:23 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dropping In

An improvement IMO, Cole!

Jeff

Jan 20, 2017 at 09:20 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dropping In

I wasn't overly troubled by the sun in your original. [Because I'm used to seeing it in the sky, as opposed to something, say, man-made, and it looked to be in the correct place to cast the shadows the way they are.]

I do prefer the crop and clone-out in your latest edit.

But the original gives me a sense of majesty and somehow better conveys (to me) how high you are. And thus I feel that it can stand on its own as a very nice pic.

PS: as a fellow newbie to FM, I am pleased to see that you've begun sharing your work; something that I've still yet to do.

Edit: grammar

Jan 21, 2017 at 06:06 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dropping In

You have captured with your friend a beautiful and sparkling grandeur for us to enjoy and even to envy.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:58 AM
Funonthebun

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dropping In

Rick Joyce wrote:
You have captured with your friend a beautiful and sparkling grandeur for us to enjoy and even to envy.

Thank you Rick.

Jan 21, 2017 at 09:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dropping In

my first reaction was, fine with the sunburst. Adds to the dynamism
But seeing your crop and clone, I think that is the way to go
awesome scene and skiing
and yes, check the highlights, but even if some are blown, this is a keeper!

Scott

Jan 22, 2017 at 02:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Dropping In

I'm torn between the two crops. The heavy vignetting of the OP and the mass of bright in the sky really pull away (competing) from the skier ... which, imo, the skier is the star of the message @ "dropping in".

The last crop (OP, not Jeff) has the added benefit of cropping some off the bottom, which improves the mass relationship of the skier. Rick's point about grandeur ... while I don't care for the OP version ... Jeff's 1/2 sun retains a bit of that grandeur message, via "uplifting skyward" draw ... yet, not so much that the skier can't pull us back down to earth, also (thus, creating / increasing movement).

That said, curious to see the last crop while leaving the 1/2 sun in place.

Tough call between the two crops ... what the heck, make it tougher yet between three crops.
(no edits made, just cropped some bottom off Jeff's)

Either way you go with the crop options, +1 @ Scott ... keeper.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:38 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.