New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

jkochuni
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

When shooting on a tripod do people leave on or turn off the IS on their 500mm F4 lens? If you leave it on what mode (1 or 2) when shooting BIF? I have always used the lens with the IS on mode 1 when using a tripod, but recently someone told me they prefer to shoot with IS off when using a tripod.

Jan 20, 2017 at 07:34 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

I shoot BIF with my 500/4L IS either handheld or on a monopod. I use handheld with IS turned off for birds that are crossing in front of me or flying over me relatively quickly, in which case lens inertia helps to reduce or even eliminate hand shake as you track. For flying birds further away or stationary birds, I generally use the monopod with IS in Mode 2, for tracking horizontal or vertical relative motion, or in Mode 1 for a nominally-stationary subject.

When I use my 500/4L IS on a tripod (with Wimberley Sidekick on Manfrotto 468 MG), I usually have IS turned off, but will turn it on if there's a source of vibration (usually wind), that produces noticeable shake in the finder.

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:26 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

My thoughts on big lenses on tripods is this....you aren't fully stabilizing the lens if you are tracking birds or using a gimbal or keeping your left hand on the lens and moving it around. Therefore I would keep IS ON in mode 1 or mode 2 in the same manner you would handholding (i.e. use them for their intended purposes). If you are up at around 1/1600 or more SS then you can turn it OFF even when handholding and sometimes results improve as there is no fighting the IS.

If you are locking down your head, using a remote and shooting a hummer feeding setup or some sleeping animal than I'd turn it OFF, especially if you are going to a slow SS (probably not for the hummer example).

To me, tripods and big lenses are just a way to take the weight off....not much different than a monopod except you can walk away from them for a minute without catastrophic events. There is still all sorts of movement going on...to prove that just switch to 10X LV and watch for yourself....even not touching the lens if there is wind you will see you aren't stabilized or if you are on a surface that can vibrate anyone walking will show the image move in LV.

Bottom line....use IS most of the time on tripod

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:33 AM
Paul Tessier
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

On, Mode one. It can reduce the vibration of mirror slap and even help movement introduced by pressing the shutter button. That lens has tripod sensing tech so there shouldn't be any feedback problems. I only turn mine off if I use MLU/Live view and a cable release.

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:50 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

The term, "shooting on a tripod" is a bit ambiguous.

If the Tripod-head allows the cam/lens to be locked down in a manner to prevent any movement, then there's no need for IS.
A Gimbal-head, however, is designed for movement, though smooth, & controlled, whereas a Monopod or hand-held equate to "erratic" movement, the degree of which is dependent on the user's ability, & can differ from person to person.

With Mark-1 lenses, through trial & error, I settled for Mode-2 tracking BIF, OFF with "still" shots, & Mode -1 Hand-held (except when Panning).

Mark-2 lenses are designed to detect if "locked down" & can theoretically be left "ON" in all situations. I've gotten to the point of leaving Mode-3 on for most all situations.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to take "a lot" of test shots in the various configurations; and let the results be the determining factor; though the" difficulty" is keeping note of Mode=shot, as IS info is not in the EXIF.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Archibald
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

Turn it off if doing time exposures, since the image will probably drift slowly with IS on.

Jan 21, 2017 at 05:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

Here's what the manual says...

Jan 21, 2017 at 06:33 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

I'm with arbitrage. The decision to use Mode 1 or 2 depends on whether I'm trying to track (Mode 2) or shooting relatively stationary subjects (Mode 1).

I know that the manual says to turn IS off whenever mounted on a tripod, but I find that I can still get low wavelength shaking unless I'm using a CamRanger and nobody's around the camera. The only lenses I tend to turn IS off when on a tripod are with lenses shorter than 200mm FL.

Jan 21, 2017 at 06:48 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

arbitrage wrote:
My thoughts on big lenses on tripods is this....you aren't fully stabilizing the lens if you are tracking birds or using a gimbal or keeping your left hand on the lens and moving it around. Therefore I would keep IS ON in mode 1 or mode 2 in the same manner you would handholding (i.e. use them for their intended purposes). If you are up at around 1/1600 or more SS then you can turn it OFF even when handholding and sometimes results improve as there is no fighting the IS.

If you are locking down your head, using a remote
...Show more

+1 this is exactly what I experience, however -please note that most here have way more experience than I do!

Jan 21, 2017 at 09:29 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

Depends on the vintage and how much battery usage you are worried about. My 300L F4 IS is first generation IS and does not auto detect no movement and does not shut IS off automatically. I only noticed it going freaky when on a tripod. When on a monopod it never gave me problems. Always a little movement I guess. With my 100-400 II which is 3rd generation will detect no movement and shut off.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

I always left IS on when I had my 500 v1 on a tripod - never even thought about it.

Use mode 2 for BIF.

The person that said they prefer to shoot with IS off while on a tripod - are they doing BIF or your regular shooting?

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:26 AM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

My personal experience with the 500L f4 is that it is tripod sensing, however when locked down on a tripod and shooting objects such as the moon turning off the IS has resulted in sharper images.

Just my 2 cents.

Jan 22, 2017 at 06:51 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

My 500 v1 before I sold it was always on mode 2 and I never turned the IS off while on a Tripod. I never turned it off to save battery power as I always carry a spare battery in the bag.

Jan 22, 2017 at 06:57 AM
Mike Veltri
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

jcolwell wrote:

That is to save Battery Power only!

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/image_stabilization_lenses.d

Jan 22, 2017 at 07:04 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

jcolwell wrote:

Mike Veltri wrote:
That is to save Battery Power only!

Yes. As I said in my first reply, I use IS on a tripod if there's any noticeable shake in the finder (or on the LCD); otherwise, I turn it off (if I remember).

Jan 22, 2017 at 07:29 AM
Bruce n Philly
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

If your 500 is gen I, you have issues. I owned and loved this lens, always on a tripod, but IS slowed it down. In short, IS slows AI Servo on my 5D Mk II. I met a guy out in the marsh who had the same lens and problem and told me to turn IS off. He had a 7D. I don't know if this is with all bodies, but that is an issue we both had.

So... With that lens, I turn IS off for BIF / AI Servo and got way better results. Also if your SS is 1600 or over, you won't need it anyway for BIF.

Otherwise, I keep IS on mode I, at all other times. No use for Mode 2 because if I am planning, I am most likely shooting AI Servo, and IS slows down focus performance on that lens.

Peace,
Bruce in Philly

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:36 PM
jkochuni
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · IS on or off when using a 500mm F4 with tripod

All great advice. I'm going to try turning off IS on my next BIF adventure.

Jan 25, 2017 at 09:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.