Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

ah a CMOS sensor. Buy with confidence hahaha

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:20 PM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

BSPhotog wrote:
Be sure to report back, I'm curious how it will be in the field.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is sexy as hell and is really interesting from a tech standpoint. I am skeptical how much, if anything, you gain over a high MP DSLR, though. The DR/IQ from the D8x0/5Dsr/A7RII are already so good and the lens lineups are very mature.

The Fuji/Pentax/Hasselblad sensor is very slightly better than the one in the Leica S I shot with yesterday. But you're still talking nearly 15 stops of DR and some of the best glass on the planet. I'd love to shoot the Fuji for a test. The Leica S is like shooting a 10D with an enormous viewfinder and a mini MF sensor. I did have the advantage that I can share lenses and flashes across the cameras I carried. The Fuji would require a separate set of small format lenses.

The other cameras we had with us were a Leica SL, Leica M, Canon 1Dx2, Canon 1D4 and an A7R. Looking at the files this morning there's no doubt that the MF files have more DR and better tonal transitions than any of the 35mm cameras. Fall off is different too but some of that is the exceptional Leica S glass which are near perfect from wide open. The S files need no sharpening and they can be pushed and pulled in almost any way without breaking.

I doubt that it would matter to the clients. I think the difference is there but it's subtle. The photographer will notice. The clients maybe. And I don't think there's any way you'd see it in a web image. But here we go, anyway.

L1007938.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

L1008011.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

With my system I can use all of my S lenses on my SL with an adaptor, with AF. Based on yesterday I'll be carrying the 35mm camera with zooms and a 50mm 1.4 and then using primes on the S. I really enjoyed shooting the larger sensor. I could tell the difference and that's all that matters to me.

I think it'll come down to the glass. If the Fuji lenses are as good as the sensor there will be a tangible benefit. If the lenses are only good and not great, or you need to stop them down to get the best from them, then it won't be worth the hassle.

Gordon

p.s. this is the first large batch of 1DX2 files I've had to play with. Very impressed with the new Canon sensor. Might have to stop the Canon DR jokes.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:19 PM
Jay_Be
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

The first image is the Fernleigh Track tunnel?

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM
flash
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

Yep. Wow. That's really observant. They live close and wanted something simple there. Also a good choice as it rained most of the day.

Great spot too. Just be nice to the cyclists.

L1007969.jpg by Gordon Cahill, on Flickr

Gordon

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

Those have way too much noise, completely unacceptable!

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:53 AM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

flash wrote:
Yep. Wow. That's really observant. They live close and wanted something simple there. Also a good choice as it rained most of the day.

Great spot too. Just be nice to the cyclists.

Gordon

I lived all of my life in the Hunter till around 9 years ago, now I'm 6 hours drive away but the Hunter will always be home. The tunnel and track is a great location and likely one of the most popular for bridal party shoots in the Newcastle/Lake Maquarie area, which you would obviously know. I covered a wedding on Dudley Beach on New Year's Eve and have another at Caves Beach Resort in July. Looking forward to that one with Caves Beach being so gorgeous around the rocks and caves. And it will be near low tide.

Jan 21, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

1/125 flash sync. Ouch.

Jan 21, 2017 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

flash
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

Mark_L wrote:
1/125 flash sync. Ouch.

The S system has HSS flash and CS (leaf shutter) lenses available. The Fuji has HSS flash. And if you consider that for the Fuji the lenses are all around f 2.8 or slower. 125th isn't such a big issue. It's a much bigger shutter to move out of the way.

But yes, it would be nice.

Gordon

Jan 21, 2017 at 08:13 PM
isaacimage
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

So,is anyone got one ?

May 12, 2017 at 03:14 AM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

Duy got one and is doing some really rad (mostly fashion) stuff with it.

isaacimage wrote:
So,is anyone got one ?

May 12, 2017 at 07:30 AM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

I've got one. My intent was to use it mostly for commercial/fashion stuff but I've brought it along to a couple e-sessions as well. It's fun for me and I really love the feel of it. I also really like the files/colors that come out and don't need to do much to get it where I like it.

Here are a few shots (though nothing on the web will really show that it is better than a full frame). A couple of these are using adapted Nikon lenses (where it says f stop is 1.0)

GFX 50S    f/1.0    1/2000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    GF63mmF2.8 R WR lens    63mm    f/13.0    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    GF63mmF2.8 R WR lens    63mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens    120mm    f/4.0    1/500s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens    120mm    f/5.6    1/500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

GFX 50S    GF120mmF4 R LM OIS WR Macro lens    120mm    f/5.6    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

May 12, 2017 at 07:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

ZachOly wrote:
Body + 35 f2.8 (equivalent) + 95 f4 (equivalent) is $10,700 USD

Leica M10 body + 35mm f2.0 + 90mm f2.0 is $15,285 USD
Canon 1D + 35mm L + 85mm L is $9,497 USD
Just adding some perspective.

May 12, 2017 at 01:05 PM
ayjayy
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

Duy, how do you like the 120mm compared to the 63mm? Is the AF faster on one vs the other?

May 12, 2017 at 02:20 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Fujifilm GFX looks to ship end of February.....

The 120 has way better AF than the 63. The 63 kind of reminds me of the nifty 50, and has a kind of weird AF. It's not awful, but it's not great (especially for a $1500 price tag). From my understanding the 32-64 zoom lens has pretty fast AF but I haven't tried it (though i'm now tempted to after using an f4 lens and finding it sufficient for me).

I also have the 23 f4 and 110 f2 on pre-order, but those won't arrive until late June/early July. I don't know what kit I'll end up with after they're all out... and the 45 f2.8 is due out in the winter (which is a 35 equivalent)... However I am planning on focusing on commercial/fashion work and not so much documentary work so I may not be inclined to get it.

May 12, 2017 at 04:51 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password