Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

Desmolicious
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

Hello

While I really like my D750, I don't use it that often. Normally I take the batteries out of my cameras when I don't use them, to reduce risk of leakage etc. But those cameras tend to be old film jobs where there are no memory or programmed settings.
If I take the battery out of my D750, how long before it loses the settings I programmed into it? And... if I take the battery out for a while, would putting it back in (say after 2 weeks) reset the amount of time I can take it out again? Aaand, how long would the battery have to be put back in before I can take it out again?

Sorry for all the questions, and yes I know I should just use it more.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

The discussion about how long a camera can be left without a battery origins I think from the days of the old DSLR's (like the Nikon D1) when in addition to the main battery, DSLR's used to have an extra (small) button battery to power the internal clock, as discussed here https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1143951

Based on my experience with later model Nikon DSLR's I can ease your worries and confirm your D750 will retain the personal settings/changes you made in the (custom) settings even if the battery is removed from the camera for a long period

I always take the batteries out of my DSLR's, no matter if I won't use them for a short or longer period
Two weeks won't have any impact, not even on the status of charge of the battery, contrary to when leaving the battery in (in my D1X it would deplete within one day)

E.g. haven't/don't use my D3 much since I got a D800 in 2008 (but it's a great workhorse, and great back up to have for 'just in case'), and consequently have it stored up without a battery for (literally many) months on a stretch
But if/when I pop in the battery, it will start up without a hitch and can immediately be used, without any 'problems with the (custom) settings or time/date
Similarly with my D7100, DF and (back up) D800, although I use those more regularly then my D3

Don't see any problem/issues either in how long you have to keep in/ fast you take out the battery after you've inserted it

Jan 19, 2017 at 06:41 AM
kingmeow
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

According to my D500 manual (and it may be in your D750 manual too), the internal battery, when fully charged, will maintain the clock for 3 months. Although it didn't say but I'm assuming all the settings, etc. are maintained by this battery too since it's keeping the internal clock running.

Unless, of course, your settings are saved in EEPROM memory in which case battery is not necessary to maintain them.

The way lithiums are made now I would not worry too much about leakage. I always have a pack in my bodies, even my rarely used D70.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

You can also save your settings to a memory card via the Setup Menu, Save/load settings.

Jan 19, 2017 at 10:54 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 w/ Battery removed? Settings saved?

Thanks everyone for your replies, much appreciated.

Jan 19, 2017 at 04:11 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.