Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

tshore
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

Sometimes I think I may be getting better at this. Yesterday I spotted this Merlin, a regular resident at the Las Gallinas ponds, perched in a tree about 100 yards away from his habitual perch where I have observed him the last two winters. Based on prior behavior, I thought he might leave that other tree fly to his more usual haunt. I set myself up with the sun behind me, hoping to catch him flying toward me to his new perch. Sure enough, he eventually took off, but, alas, in another direction. Thinking he still might eventually fly in to his habitual perch from a different angle, I moved about 100 feet "down-sun" to keep the light source behind me if he came in from the direction I last saw him, should he appear. About a minute later, in he comes, indeed from that angle. I got a few shots, of which this came out best. The -1/3 EC was a mistake, but was recoverable in post. Not a perfect shot by any means, but one that makes me think I may be getting somewhere because it involved having gotten to know the animal, assessing the conditions and planning the resulting shot. I've been at this about 4 years, and I'm only just starting to learn this craft. Thanks to the many on this board who have helped me with feedback and advice.

© tim shore 2017

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:59 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

Congrats Tim. It's gratifying when you get things right. Nice results too ~ Ron

Jan 18, 2017 at 08:07 AM
Warkari
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

nicely done. Like you I too am learning that there is a lot of fieldcraft time put in behind all the wonderful photos I see on this forum. It is rarely the case that the photographer just happened to get a great picture of that bird in perfect light, perfect position and clean background.

- Amit

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM
steve_a_reno
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

Great shot of a fast moving target.

Jan 18, 2017 at 03:33 PM
Bsmooth
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

How many times we seem to have everything going for us, and all of a sudden a small thing happens ,like the sun suddenly goes behind a cloud, or a bird which for every reason should be coming towards you goes in the opposite direction.
Trying to specialize on BIF can be a very frustrating experience, but the good ones like this are always worth waiting for. Its the "almosts" which drive you crazy though. Those shots which are perfect except maybe the entire subject isn't in the frame , or something like a twig or branch ruin the shot, the list goes on and on.
I think the biggest thing I changes in the last year was trying to shoot in Manual as much as possible, where I was exclusively shooting in Aperture Priority before and adding light as needed.
I now seem to get many more shots overexposed as opposed to getting more underexposed using AP, that and I'm using higher ISO's than I was before, up to 1600 which for me was unheard of before last year. Its quite a learning experience thats for sure, but shots like these make it all worthwhile !

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:45 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

Hi Tim,

This is decent. As far as exposure goes, +1 EV for a bright sky is a good starting point. Also, get your ISO up so you can have a faster shutter speed with the proper exposure. Even better, use manual exposure for flight so you don't have to worry about changing backgrounds and the percentage of the frame your subject takes. Google and read about the principles of "Sunny 16" and then apply equivalent exposures. Memorize your sunny day exposure settings and you will never have problems on a sunny day and "Sunny 16" will tell you what to do on a cloudy day.

A quick way to get a good sunny 16 exposure is to set your desired aperture and ISO. Then choose something that is a middle gray such as green foliage, a human hand, or even blue sky pointing away from the sun. Move your shutter till exposure shows middle and you are there. This setting will work for anything illuminated by the sun.

Morris

Jan 20, 2017 at 01:31 PM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

morris wrote:
Hi Tim,

This is decent. As far as exposure goes, +1 EV for a bright sky is a good starting point. Also, get your ISO up so you can have a faster shutter speed with the proper exposure. Even better, use manual exposure for flight so you don't have to worry about changing backgrounds and the percentage of the frame your subject takes. Google and read about the principles of "Sunny 16" and then apply equivalent exposures. Memorize your sunny day exposure settings and you will never have problems on a sunny day and "Sunny 16" will tell you what to
...Show more

Morris's advice is very good, especially using manual exposure and the explanation for it, plus using the fast shutter speed and whatever ISO it takes to get that shutter speed. Long ago, when I first started digital with ugly results, this was the first and most valuable advice I got from fellow FMers, and my keeper rate greatly increased after that. A tidbit I'd add is to use something white to set your exposure if your birds are white (e.g., gulls terns, geese...). It seems like there is always something white around: a sign, a t-shirt, etc. Then quick check the histogram to be sure you haven't blown your whites.

Jan 20, 2017 at 05:43 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

jdc562 wrote:
Morris's advice is very good, especially using manual exposure and the explanation for it, plus using the fast shutter speed and whatever ISO it takes to get that shutter speed. Long ago, when I first started digital with ugly results, this was the first and most valuable advice I got from fellow FMers, and my keeper rate greatly increased after that. A tidbit I'd add is to use something white to set your exposure if your birds are white (e.g., gulls terns, geese...). It seems like there is always something white around: a sign, a t-shirt, etc. Then quick check
...Show more

For white make your shutter speed 2/3 to one full stop faster in manual. Test and see what works best for your camera.

Morris

Jan 20, 2017 at 05:50 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

Manual exposure is good advice only if the light falling on the moving subject does not change. For subjects moving from sunlight to shade, or vice-versa, it is bad advice. Also, when scattered clouds are changing the light every few seconds, manual exposure will keep giving you wrong exposures.

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:20 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Incoming Merlin, and thoughts about improving as a wildlife photographer

lovely little falcon Tim

Jan 20, 2017 at 09:19 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.