New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Specific EM1 MKII questions

formula4speed
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Hey all, now that this camera has been in some of your hands for a little bit I'm wondering if you could lend me some knowledge. I have been through the long thread and I don't think I'm duplicating anything. Some things I'm wondering about:

High-Res Mode: Did they get this hand hold-able? I thought they announced it would be, but haven't seen it mentioned. Possibly a future firmware update?

Focus stacking: I believe the older E-M1 had this as well. Is this worthwhile for shooting macro or is it better to blend manually? Is the final image RAW or Jpeg?

Focus speed with lower end lenses: I own some of the nice primes, but my long lens is the consumer Panasonic 45-200mm. Does the focus speed still hold up when used with "non-pro" lenses? Can't afford the big glass and the camera at the same time.

Overall IQ: I've got the original E-M5 with the 16mp sensor. Any major improvements? Noise levels look a bit better from what I've seen, how about dynamic range?

If you've got any thoughts on the above questions, I'd love to hear them. This camera is at the very top of my budget and I'm fairly torn about upgrading from my trusty E-M5. Thanks guys.

Jan 17, 2017 at 03:55 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

High res is not handholdable. Possibly a future upgrade, but I doubt it.
Focus stacking can be done two ways, the first is the camera will take a series of images and blend them to give a stacked JPG. It works very well but only works in jpg. Second, you can have the camera take a series of raw images with varying focus and then combine later in Zerene, or your program of choice. It does a better job and you will have a Tiff at the end with better IQ.
Focus speed with be fine with older lenses, likely better than mark 1.
I think you'll see improvements over the original E-M5 in terms of noise, I have not seen the mark 2 tests for dynamic range , but I expect it to be similar to the M1.

Jan 17, 2017 at 04:28 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Thanks, I thought I read they were trying to get the high res mode usable at 1/60, but perhaps that was just a rumor.

Focus stacking seems interesting, I think m4/3 is an excellent platform for macro shooting. I often grab it over my FF Sony gear.

I've got a couple trips coming up, and this could make for a sweet travel camera...

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:40 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

They were/are working towards that goal ... but it's still a work-in-progress.

formula4speed wrote:
Thanks, I thought I read they were trying to get the high res mode usable at 1/60, but perhaps that was just a rumor.

Focus stacking seems interesting, I think m4/3 is an excellent platform for macro shooting. I often grab it over my FF Sony gear.

I've got a couple trips coming up, and this could make for a sweet travel camera...

Jan 17, 2017 at 08:27 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Thanks Bobby, at least I'm not going crazy. Would be sweet if they can pull it off via firmware in the future.

How about in camera HDR? Assume between the IBIS and high frame rate you could knock out a few frames handheld?

I appreciate you guys putting up with me, the download link for the user manual isn't working for me

Jan 17, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

bobbytan wrote:
They were/are working towards that goal ... but it's still a work-in-progress.

It would be nice if it could be done in a firmware update, but I suspect it will take some hardware magic to pull it off.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:09 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

I agree. And we may see it in the E-M5 Mk III.

Iwas joeking wrote:
It would be nice if it could be done in a firmware update, but I suspect it will take some hardware magic to pull it off.

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:24 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

I also may pull the trigger soon, so I've been checking...

The focus stacking is a nice feature but is not (yet?) compatible with the new 12-100 "walkabout pro" lens
Focus bracketing seems to be compatible with "MFT" lenses (i.e. AF is needed)
From theirwebsite:
•Focus Bracketing:
3 to 999 shots, focus steps adjustable from 1 to 10 (compatible with Micro Four Thirds lenses)
•Focus Stacking Mode8 shots are taken at different focus points and automatically composited together into a single image
* Angle of view becomes slightly smaller
* Compatible with :
M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro
M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO
M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO
M.Zuiko Digital ED 30mm f/3.5 Macro
M.Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm f/2.8 PRO
M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm f/1.8 Fisheye PRO
M.Zuiko Digital ED 300mm f/4.0 IS PRO

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:34 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

High Res does not work handheld but I've seen some get useable results very braced and without a tripod.
Focus stacking works well but is a jpeg and a slight crop, so compose a little wider and expect a slight crop.
AF speed is consistently good with all m4/3 lenses. Even a slow lens like a 20mm f/1.7 seems relatively snappy.
IQ is slightly better than the older 16mp, more so if you base it off jpegs due to improved processing. RAW files have maybe a 1/2 stop improvement, nothing drastic.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:01 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

I noticed the list of compatible lenses as well for focus stacking, I was mostly interested for macro and I already own the 60mm. Great lens and m4/3 is probably my favorite system for shooting macro.

I'd like to try the high res mode, but it's not the reason I'd get the camera, so if it's tripod only not the end of the world but I'm sure I'd use it more if I could do it handheld.

Good to know it works well with the other lenses as well, I actually still shoot the 20 1.7 and I really like the focal length. I have active nieces and nephews so decent tracking would definitely be useful at times.

Minor boosts in IQ are all I generally expect, I shoot in RAW. At least for static subjects the IBIS really helps keep the ISO down.

Jan 18, 2017 at 02:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

TMaG82 wrote:
High Res does not work handheld but I've seen some get useable results very braced and without a tripod.

Makes sense that the camera needs to be stationary - it has to be the same sytem for moving the sensor around that can be used either for IBIS or high res shot, but not both together (yet?)

Jan 18, 2017 at 04:29 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

AJSJones wrote:
Makes sense that the camera needs to be stationary - it has to be the same sytem for moving the sensor around that can be used either for IBIS or high res shot, but not both together (yet?)

I wonder if it's possible to get the same high res effect by using camera movement instead of the sensor? For example, make it so it works handheld and samples according to the operators unsteadiness due to handholding??

Jan 18, 2017 at 04:54 PM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Iwas joeking wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to get the same high res effect by using camera movement instead of the sensor? For example, make it so it works handheld and samples according to the operators unsteadiness due to handholding??

Aligning is computationally intensive in the general case. The Olympus system can use a much simpler algorithm since the sensor movements are well-defined. There are software techniques for image combination in post-processing. PhotoAcute will usually work well handheld, but takes some horsepower. In-camera processing is probably doable but only in the future.

Photoshop is decent at alignment, but often not as good as PA. Some claim increased resolution by uprezzing RAW files, stacking them in PS and aligning and averaging. At worst, the techniquet reduces noise; at best it makes a great looking file. All of this, though, is a lot of work compared to using a tripod with the Mark II, and subject movement will always be a problem to be managed.

Jan 18, 2017 at 05:42 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Main gains with the new E-M1 Mark II is slightly more resolution, two SD card slots so you have either a backup or overflow option, 4K video, faster autofocus with one of the 4 processors being used solely for that purpose, and improved image stabilization.

The image stabilization is very impressive. I can get tack sharp images with the 300mm f/4 lens and this camera at 1/8s. Very impressive.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

elkhornsun wrote:
Main gains with the new E-M1 Mark II is slightly more resolution, two SD card slots so you have either a backup or overflow option, 4K video, faster autofocus with one of the 4 processors being used solely for that purpose, and improved image stabilization.

The image stabilization is very impressive. I can get tack sharp images with the 300mm f/4 lens and this camera at 1/8s. Very impressive.

I just want the tracking AF and stabilization, the stabilization will surely trickle down the the E-M5 line, but perhaps not the tracking AF. The problem with having 2 systems, FF Sony and m4/3, is deciding which to spend precious limited funding on. New Loxia lenses for Sony or killer all around camera in the E-M1...true first world problems.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:05 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

formula4speed wrote:
I just want the tracking AF and stabilization, the stabilization will surely trickle down the the E-M5 line, but perhaps not the tracking AF. The problem with having 2 systems, FF Sony and m4/3, is deciding which to spend precious limited funding on. New Loxia lenses for Sony or killer all around camera in the E-M1...true first world problems.

No doubt about that. A week ago, I was balancing three systems: Canon, Sony, and Olympus. In the end, I decided to sell the Sony and pare down the Canon to just the two big lenses and camera bodies. For me, m43 offers the best balance of capability and portability. Lower overall system cost is an added benefit.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:28 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Thread title seemed like the right one. Mine arrives on Feb 3

Do any of you users find situations where you absolutely need the UHS-II card in the UHS-II slot (in comarison to a high speed UHS-I Class 3 card in the same slot) to get the shot (bursts at 60 fps, for example? And if you do need the UHS-II for that situation, do you see a slow-down or buffer limit if there is also a card in the other slot (being used for "back-up" using either jpeg or raw+jpeg). Just trying to figure out what new cards to get to meet the capabilities of the new body.
Or perhaps thre is a post or site somewhere that covers some of the possible situations?
Thanks
AJ

Later that day ...

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/olympus-e-m1-ii/olympus-e-m1-iiA6.HTM
They ysed a Lexar 64GB UHS-II card

Continuous H mode RAW: 0.07 second (15.4 fps); 102 frames total; 7 seconds to clear*
Time per shot, averaged over buffer length of 102 frames, then slows to an average of 9.5 fps when buffer is full, which is still fast!

Pro Capture H mode RAW 0.02 second (60.6 fps);
51 frames total; 7 seconds to clear*
Time per shot, averaged over buffer length of 51 frames, then slows to an average of 9.5 fps when buffer is full, but with a lot of cycle variation.

*Slower cards or using slot 2 can produce correspondingly slower clearing times and may also limit length of bursts in continuous mode. ISO sensitivity and noise reduction settings can also affect cycle times and burst mode performance.

Jan 28, 2017 at 05:07 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

So another simple question if you guys don't mind.

How many shots in RAW do you get on whatever size memory card you are using? I know it can vary with ISO and the detail in the shot, but ballpark ~1300 for 32Gb card about right?

Jan 30, 2017 at 02:11 AM
CurtG

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

1300 is about right as a rule of thumb. (See page 148 of manual for more)

Jan 30, 2017 at 10:40 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Specific EM1 MKII questions

Thanks, don't have the camera so I didn't have the manual and the web link for the manual wasn't working for me before. Seems to be working now so I can answer some of my own questions.

Thanks everyone.

Jan 30, 2017 at 02:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password