Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking for the best possible solution

John Skinner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for the best possible solution

I'm not going to be able to upload any examples on this thread. But anyone that responds will know exactly where I am with this.

I want to shoot more behind the backboard images this year than in years past. One of the reasons that I've held back on a lot of games was due to the inner reflection I'm getting from the rear of the glass backgrounds and polluting the images.

Now, depending on the league, I've been able to drape a small black cloth somewhere in view behind the rig, thus making the rear reflection disappear, but these are few and far between. I was thinking of something along the lines of a collar... very similar to what they place on a dogs head once they have cleared a surgical procedure.

If this was painted all flat black, and the diameter opening for the lens was that of the lens in use, and, depending on how large of a circumference I could get away with, this might do the job.

But I don't have a dog (small or otherwise)
I don't know if there are easier ways just not thought of by me.
and... looking for a proven method right out of the gate.

I don't want to be mucking about with experimental this and that.

So, there it is.... Anyone? Bueller?

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM
FaulknersFoto

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for the best possible solution

I've heard that some people will just put a circular polarizer filter on and then bump the ISO.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:23 PM
Top Gun
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for the best possible solution

cine foil

[url]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44690-REG/Rosco_RS100113_Matte_Black_Cinefoil.html[/url]

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:09 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for the best possible solution

Top Gun wrote:
cine foil

[url]https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44690-REG/Rosco_RS100113_Matte_Black_Cinefoil.html[/url]

Yea, this is my last resort. I've looked at this for some time..

Jan 16, 2017 at 03:03 PM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for the best possible solution

I attended a class on through the backboard shooting with Shawn Cullen. He's setup cameras for a variety of top photo outlets and shares his method HERE.

He uses a self-made gobo taped to the lens and below to the backboard.

There is also a product called LENS SKIRT that would work but I understand that the gobo is often the pat of the backboard remote that the referees ask to be taken down.

Others use rubber lens hoods mashed up against the glass and say they help.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for the best possible solution

eyeglasses or windshield cleaners (having anti-glare compound) apply locally to both sides of backboard along with the use of cinefoil should be an effective solution.. :-)

Jan 18, 2017 at 02:24 PM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for the best possible solution

What bpalermini said, Shawn has two basic layouts he uses frequently and allowed me to copy them at one of the SportsShooter Academies. I'll holler at him and see if he's cool with sharing them. Also, he makes the COOLEST dual trigger/shutter button setup ever for firing remotes separate from the primary camera. Super good dude.

Jan 20, 2017 at 12:27 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for the best possible solution

cine foil. its pretty much everything I've ever seen the pros use at NBA games. I met Shawn a few times and ya, he knows the pocket wizards inside out. That side trigger that sits on the grip of the cameras is pretty cool. Crazy to see how they make all the cameras sync off one set of lights.

The closer the lens is to the backboard and the less steep the angle, the smaller the gobo can be. Also, bring windex and clean the inside of the backboard. outside too if you can, but it will eventually dirty up with the basketball hitting it. Use a higher aperture if possible. set your prefocus. and hope the play comes your way.

I only managed to do a backboard remote a handful of times, but I had the team guys assistant help me. Considering he did it every game for half a decade plus, I thought it best to have him show me the ropes.

Oh, and for anyone doing this, arrive early. Last thing you want i setting this up last minute. Plus, more time to talk to refs or anyone else if there's a hassle.

a photo I took from a lifetime ago
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48323/hillbboard2.jpg

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for the best possible solution

Okay.. Cine it is.

Thanks for the input people.

I've never seen a vert. done from the back glass.. It kinda works eh?

In as much as my 'remote' setup. I use the MultiMAX models with my own unique ID assigned from from Pocket Wizard. On the external port, I've attached about a 6 foot cord with two internal leads, and a mono plug on the PW end.

The cord comes out of a momentary contact pedal switch. So I carry to my location, set it down on the floor with my PW on a lanyard around my neck, and depending on what I've setup, I can fire strobes/remote(s) all in any combination, or, together or separate from the body in-hand just by pressing down with my foot.

It works remarkably well.

Jan 23, 2017 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.