Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I usually tell myself that I don't need a battery grip for my smaller cameras and then I get out shooting and miss having the ability to hold the camera ergonomically in portrait orientation.

I'm not sure if I will buy one for the 5DIV but I'm leaning towards getting one. I've had mixed experience with both OEM and 3rd party grips...

1)7D2 had the OEM grip....was very good, material matched the camera but there was a bit of an ergonomic issue with the position of the AF joystick that I didn't like....I can't even remember what the issue was but I think it was positioned too low.

2) Newer 5D3/5DSR grip...very cheap feeling, drained batteries if let in the grip even with the grip switch off. Dials and AF joystick were flimsy and junk!! Also slowed the camera ON time and seemed to slow everything with the camera and that is bad news on the already glacial 5DSR.

3) Newer D500 grip....amazing quality....only difference I could find comparing it to an OEM grip (that a friend had) was that the wheels weren't the same rubberized material. But the AF joystick was an exact part match to the one on the camera and the one on the OEM grip.

4) Vivitar 80D grip...this one was decent but not as good as the D500 one.

So I'm torn whether to just get the Canon one for the 5D4 or try one of the aftermarket ones available. The Newer D500 one was so good that I would never spend the money on the OEM D500 but the 5DSR one was terrible and those were the same company!! Even the 80D grip I felt gave me most of what I wanted and I remember comparing it to the 7D2 grip and thinking buying the OEM 7D2 was a waste of money.

In Canada so far I can only find this 3rd party grip:
https://www.amazon.ca/Pixel-Vertax-Battery-Replace-Compatible/dp/B01M366X0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484522531&sr=8-1&keywords=bg-e20

So if anyone has bought the Pixel Vertax one I would love to hear what you think.

Oh and please refrain from delving into a discussion on using OEM vs 3rd Party for batteries or battery grips. I know all about the differences and every time it becomes a pissing match with nothing gained.

Pixel Vertex is $120CDN
Canon OEM is $529CDN....Yikes!! But I can buy from BHPhoto with forex and get it at ~$470CDN

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:29 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

Or...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1470187/0#13879852

I would never use a third-party grip (or batteries), but that's just me...

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:51 PM
Eric Larsen
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I'd be interested in hearing about non-Canon grips just because it would be interesting....but I'd snarf that B/S one from molson and call it good!

Jan 15, 2017 at 07:33 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I plan on getting a 5D4 this fall and had been contemplating getting a battery grip after reading about the heavier body/less lens shake post. Wow!!!! Why is it so expensive!? At that price, I'd seriously consider an aftermarket grip.

Jan 15, 2017 at 07:35 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

M. Best wrote:
Wow!!!! Why is it so expensive!?

Canon is now making them out of a special type of unobtanium alloy...

Jan 15, 2017 at 07:42 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

Can't wait to see the price of the next 5DV battery grip.....

Francois

Jan 15, 2017 at 08:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

qc_mountain wrote:
Can't wait to see the price of the next 5DV battery grip.....

Francois

I know, the recent prices of the D500 ($560CDN) and now 5DIV have just been ridiculous and then you have Nikon giving away free battery grips with D500 and D810 over the holidays.....I can't even begin to imagine the margins on those OEM grips....

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:34 PM
raceroy

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I purchased the Pixel Vertex once the stroke symptoms (sticker shock from having viewed the Canon Grip price) ... $88 US .... It works great with no issues... I would not support my camera lens and grip by their tripod screw... but I don't mount the camera on that screw as I am using with very long lenses and mounting the lens... works great ... no worries..

Jan 16, 2017 at 01:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

raceroy wrote:
I purchased the Pixel Vertex once the stroke symptoms (sticker shock from having viewed the Canon Grip price) ... $88 US .... It works great with no issues... I would not support my camera lens and grip by their tripod screw... but I don't mount the camera on that screw as I am using with very long lenses and mounting the lens... works great ... no worries..

Thanks....a lot of the time I won't even use the grip unless using long lenses so I am leaning towards the Pixel for now. If this was a camera I was using with my long lenses all the time I would be more inclined to buy the OEM like I did with the 7D2.

Jan 16, 2017 at 05:02 PM
tyue

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

Any update regarding third party grip for 5D4? I am in the market for one.

Thanks.

Jun 02, 2017 at 01:30 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I ended up getting this 3rd party one: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N5PZ6JL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The good things about it are that the grip material is nice and even feels better (a little more "grippy") than Canon's own.
It isn't draining batteries like my 5DSR one did....I can leave 2 batteries in it with camera in sleep mode or off and there is no significant drain a day or two (or longer) later.
The joystick and the little AF mode switch below the joystick are similar to the camera ones in shape and size.

The downsides to using this 3rd party one:
The buttons and scroll wheels don't turn or push as good as the ones on the 5D4. The wheels are more clicky and the buttons are just different.
The position of the joystick compared to the back buttons is further apart than when using the camera normally. This makes it tough to use muscle memory to get to the joystick and move AF points. HOWEVER, this is the same on the Canon OEM grip as far as I can tell from pictures....it was the same issue on my 7D2 OEM grip.

Overall I'm happy with my purchase and don't have any desire to spend $100s more for the OEM grip.

Looking at Amazon listings it appears that the one I have (DTSE) and the Newer one are probably identical whereas the Pixel and some others are different.

Jun 02, 2017 at 09:13 AM
tyue

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

How about the tripod screw? Is it reliable?

Thanks.

Jun 02, 2017 at 09:45 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

tyue wrote:
How about the tripod screw? Is it reliable?

Thanks.

If you mean the screw insert in the grip to put on a tripod then I don't know as I've never used it. The screw that goes into the body has been good. Hasn't been loosening on its own or anything...tightens down well.

Jun 02, 2017 at 10:01 AM
tyue

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

Thank you very much, it is very helpful. I am surprised it is so difficult to find reviews of this grip online.

Jun 02, 2017 at 10:03 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I always buy grips for my 5D cameras--for me it makes handling 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and other hefty lenses much more secure.

I bought them for my two 5D II and 5D III bodies (Neewer and Vello). They look almost identical to the OM grips and worked fine for several months. But eventually I had a 50% failure (full or partial) in these non-OM grips and had to replace them with OM grips.

With my latest 5D IV upgrades I just bit the bullet and bought Canon grips. I don't know why these relatively simple devices are so hard to make reliable.

Jun 02, 2017 at 10:32 AM
tyue

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I paid $329CDN for my 5D2 grip back in 2008.

Now a grip for 5D4 is over $500CDN, I thought I can live without one. Until I shot my 70200IS on portrait mode, I knew I need a grip.

Right now, I am leaning towards a Neewer.

Jun 02, 2017 at 10:43 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

Vello seems to be a popular brand here in the States. It gets promoted on sites like B&H a lot.

Jun 02, 2017 at 11:05 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

tyue wrote:

Now a grip for 5D4 is over $500CDN, I thought I can live without one. Until I shot my 70200IS on portrait mode, I knew I need a grip.

I'd go for the Newer...looks identical to mine but a little less expensive on amazon canada. Actually our prices are very good compared to US. Amazon US won't ship battery grips to Canada even though they don't contain lithium batteries...but still they won't

Jun 02, 2017 at 12:17 PM
sungphoto
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

I've tried the pixel version, and I didn't like the "clicky" feel of the shutter button. I also felt like the joystick on the grip was too fiddly - very easy to do a center push rather than moving the pad left in portrait orientation. Felt nice in hand though.

Ordered the Meike and the shutter button felt a lot better - more like the one on the camera, but the joystick was just plain broken out of the box and wouldn't move in one direction, so I returned it.

Haven't tried the vello one (which apparently is the same as the neewer) but I'm curious how it compares.

At this point though I'm a little put off from the quality control on these third party grips, and inclined to just wait for a used canon one to pop up

arbitrage wrote:
I usually tell myself that I don't need a battery grip for my smaller cameras and then I get out shooting and miss having the ability to hold the camera ergonomically in portrait orientation.

I'm not sure if I will buy one for the 5DIV but I'm leaning towards getting one. I've had mixed experience with both OEM and 3rd party grips...

1)7D2 had the OEM grip....was very good, material matched the camera but there was a bit of an ergonomic issue with the position of the AF joystick that I didn't like....I can't even remember what the issue was but I
...Show more

Jun 02, 2017 at 12:20 PM
dhachey
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Anyone using a 3rd party 5DIV battery grip?

tyue wrote:

I also bought the Neewer. It works just fine on a 5D3, and reportedly also on the 5D4 and 5DsR.

Jun 02, 2017 at 12:21 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.