New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

jnam
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

I am shooting 120 film with my Mamiya RZ Pro II
Big difference in price and availability between 210,250,350 APO and non APO lens
Anyone have experience with both who can comment whether analog image quality - however you describe it - is materially different to warrant extra cost?
Thanks for your time and insights!

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:35 PM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

I have not shot with those lenses. But generally speaking, medium format film photography gear is worth almost nothing compared to what it sold for - except apo lenses. Same holds for enlarging lenses also and to some extent large format lenses. I would start with the non-apo lenses and then be your own critic as to whether the apo lenses might be worth it.

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

For Mamiya 645 lenses, the difference is very significant. I've owned all of the 645 A / APO lenses except the 500/4.5 APO, and most of the non-APO "C, N" lenses. All of the A / APO lenses are excellent, even in comparison with contemporary excellent lenses from Canon and Zeiss. Some of the non-APO lenses are also excellent (e.g. C 55/2.8 N and C 80/2.8 N), while others are relatively poor (e.g. C 150/3.5 N and C 210/4 N).

Jan 15, 2017 at 03:13 PM
jnam
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

Jharter ... good point, non APO so cheap, reasonable place to start and judge for myself. Have to say though I am blown away by image detail and tonal transition on my 6x7 negatives.
Tempted to go big from start... ugh 😄

Jcolwell I have read that APO makes most difference in telephoto lens and that seems to be your experience too?

Jan 15, 2017 at 03:48 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

jnam wrote:
Jcolwell I have read that APO makes most difference in telephoto lens and that seems to be your experience too?

Well, the shortest APO is 200mm, and the shortest A is 120mm.

Jan 15, 2017 at 04:04 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

I have the RZ 210 APO but not the non-APO, so can't really comment re differences. Bought it new, one-owner! It cost a bomb in its day. I used it for car photography for many years, never had any complains about it, but it's gathered dust (figuratively speaking) for about the last decade.

I used to shoot cars at sunset with Velvia or other E6 (for magazines). The tonal gradation you get with RZ's is just magic and even the best 35mm Leica or Zeiss lenses could never touch it, just due to format alone.

Jan 15, 2017 at 04:24 PM
jnam
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

JohnJ
You want to convert that dust collector to cash? 🤑
Jay

Jan 15, 2017 at 04:31 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

jnam wrote:
JohnJ
You want to convert that dust collector to cash? 🤑
Jay

Yeah, I do. But I think shipping to the US (from Australia) is a bit expensive so you might be better off getting one locally. I'll send you a PM.

Jan 15, 2017 at 05:08 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

I have the RZ 350mm APO (and holder) and like the other Mamiya APOs I've used for for the M645 and 645AF systems, it's very sharp across the frame and improves little upon stopping down.

I don't have any like-for-like experience between APO vs. non-APO Mamiyas of the same focal length. I did use an M645 500mm for a year or so. I couldn't find (nor afford) the M645 500mm APO. But comparing my M645 500mm to my M645 300mm APO (even wide open though they are quite different lenses) the APO is sharper with very little chromatic aberration (both axial and lateral). The 500mm was certainly sharp, but it wasn't clean at the edges.

If you shoot portraiture, the RZ APOs might be sharper than you want...

For other things such as landscape or product or architecture or what have you, you'd be happier with the APOs I think.

Jan 15, 2017 at 05:35 PM
jnam
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

Sirimiri,
Thank you. Another great point, since I will be largely using these for portraiture. Never a one size fits all solution with glass!
Best,
Jay

Jan 15, 2017 at 05:42 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

sirimiri wrote:
I don't have any like-for-like experience between APO vs. non-APO Mamiyas of the same focal length. I did use an M645 500mm for a year or so. I couldn't find (nor afford) the M645 500mm APO. But comparing my M645 500mm to my M645 300mm APO (even wide open though they are quite different lenses) the APO is sharper with very little chromatic aberration (both axial and lateral). The 500mm was certainly sharp, but it wasn't clean at the edges.

I had the same M645 300/2.8 APO and C 500 N lenses, and had the same experience. The 300 APO is every bit as sharp as the CANON EF 300/3.8L IS. The C 500 N was on par with the SMC Pentax 500/4.5, but nowhere nearly as good (for sharpness across the frame) as the Nikkor ED 500/4P and Canon EF 500/4L IS. I owned APO and non-APO at 150mm and 200/210mm, and the A / APO lenses blow them away.

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:04 PM
jnam
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

Jcolwell .... you state "blows them away"
Thank you; definitive from experience, exactly what I was looking for and saves me the time and expense of experimentation. Life's too short. APO it is folks.
You all have been just great on jumping in and sharing your thoughts and experiences.
My appreciation and best wishes to you all!
Jay

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:12 PM
JohnJ
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

jnam wrote:
...You all have been just great on jumping in and sharing your thoughts and experiences.
My appreciation and best wishes to you all!
Jay

That's FM forums for you.

As an aside, if shooting portraits, the 2.8/110 is a great lens (I love it), although not long enough for some, and the 140 macro is possibly good.

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:26 PM
jnam
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mamiya RZ APO vs non-APO telephoto lens

I have the 110 and agree with you, love it. I am less wowed by my copy of the 180 and that is my primary motivation to look at the 210. I can now say 210 APO! 😄

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:29 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.