New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Roberts Horn

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Roberts Horn

Roberts Horn is a spur of Mt Timpanogos which is hidden in the fog here. It's adjacent to the Sundance ski resort. The best view point is another 1/10 mile up the road, but moose was laying on the road and seemed in no mood to move.

The clouds only parted for a few minutes and was getting thicker as I left. These two images provide the best view I got this day.

The scene was darker than this in person, but correcting the whites tended to brighten the scene. Like to hear any suggestions.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Roberts Horn

Both are very nice but #2 has it for me hands down. Your composition is much stronger and the way you used the path as a leading line draws us in nicely. Love that wispy cloud coming in from the left.

I played around with a crop idea I had but it didn't look right and felt cut off so I kept your crop as I think you nailed it best. I took it into NIK to make a few adjustments but I'm not sure if it improved much. The biggest thing I noticed was bringing out more detail via shadows in the FG snow seemed to help. To my eyes at least.

Very subtle adjustments I did make. <-- said in my best Yoda voice.

Dave

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:00 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Roberts Horn

Thanks Dave, this looks fine to me. Snow images are not easy for me as its all about detail rather than color.

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:26 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Roberts Horn

Actually Ben, now that you say that. I didn't mention it but I did convert it quickly to mono and it looked pretty nice. This image would work very well in B&W but I know you're not to crazy about mono so I didn't mention it.

Might want to play with it just for the hell of it.

I'm starting to sound like Jeff now ain't I.

Dave

Jan 15, 2017 at 03:46 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Roberts Horn

The composition in #2 makes for a stronger image with the leading lines of the road.

Steve

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:02 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Roberts Horn

Thanks Steve. Had I been able to get to my normal spot I could have eliminated the road. I tried to do that in the first but it made for an awkward comp.

Jan 16, 2017 at 09:54 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Roberts Horn

#2 is my pick for the comp and better highlight detail.

Davester, looks like I'm seeing some cyan casting in your rework.

Jeff

Jan 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Roberts Horn

Thanks for commenting Jeff. It's really hard to keep the blue/cyan out of snow images. I have that one strip of blue, which is probably ice along the far berm and I left it because that's probably what you see.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Roberts Horn

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks for commenting Jeff. It's really hard to keep the blue/cyan out of snow images. I have that one strip of blue, which is probably ice along the far berm and I left it because that's probably what you see.

100%! Your OP temp is more accurate IMO.

Jeff

Jan 16, 2017 at 01:17 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Roberts Horn

beavens wrote:
#2 is my pick for the comp and better highlight detail.

Davester, looks like I'm seeing some cyan casting in your rework.

Jeff

Well I''l be. I think I see it now that you pointed it out. At first I thought I caused it from dropping the shadows and bumping up clarity on the FG snow and path area, but I think I see it in the trees on the left also. I had to look back at Ben's OP image to compare but yep, I did screw something up there, which is odd because I thought I had added a little warmth to it. And I was on my good monitor! Hmmm...

Good eye Mr! And thanks for pointing that out to me.

Sorry about that Ben.
I was really just testing you to see if you catch it.
Yeah, that's it! That's the ticket!

Jan 16, 2017 at 01:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Roberts Horn

Hi Dave, I seldom comment about color cast because i am so unsure of it myself. Kent says he never threw a blue snowball, but snow often appears blue to me in the shadows.

They say the human eye corrects stuff like that and maybe that is something my eyes don't do. Like blue snow, red everything at sunset etc.

Jan 16, 2017 at 01:26 PM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Roberts Horn

The fine points of photographic technique have been handled superbly by others here, so let me dwell only on what I consider the elements of composition in the second scene.

Detail in the snow shrouded high elevation trees is displayed accurately while the mountain and its slopes are portrayed beautifully under wisps of mist and enveloping, rolling fog.

Jan 16, 2017 at 04:17 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Roberts Horn

Thanks Rick, very welcome comment.

Jan 16, 2017 at 04:22 PM
Familiarity
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Roberts Horn

I also like #2, Ben. If luck had been more on your side, there'd be less cloud or better positioned cloud. Though I kinda like the clouds in #1.

Any pics of the moose?

Jan 21, 2017 at 03:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Roberts Horn

I did not have a long lens and was not anxious to approach that close for the moose.

Jan 21, 2017 at 06:14 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Roberts Horn

ben egbert wrote:
I did not have a long lens and was not anxious to approach that close for the moose.

Woosie.

Actually, I've been up close and personal with a very large bull one time and I don't blame you. They are massive!
I was in the (somewhat) safety of my truck at the time so I lived to talk about it.

Dave

Jan 23, 2017 at 03:33 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Roberts Horn

ben egbert wrote:

Kent says he never threw a blue snowball, but snow often appears blue to me in the shadows.

They say the human eye corrects stuff like that and maybe that is something my eyes don't do. Like blue snow, red everything at sunset etc.

Ben,

Just to be clear ... I never said I haven't seen snow appear blue in the shadows. But, by the time you immerse yourself in that same light, bend down, grab up some snow, pack it into a ball and now look at just the ball itself before heaving it in childlike joy ...

nope, no way Jose, nada, nil, null ... I've never thrown a blue snowball. Our eye / brain accommodation takes care of such things for us.

The discussion regarding "as seen" vs. "as captured" is one that will always be correct in either regard, as long as we know the diff. But, the point of the "blue snowball" is that our "as seen" is also variable, predicated upon accommodation, as well as orientation (immersed in the same light vs. in different light, observing the light).

As such, we have the choice(s) regarding the intent of our rendering / message. Some folks like to show the color of the light, others like to show the color of the snow (presumed white in white light). Your pic, your call ... particularly true in mixed lighting scenarios.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Roberts Horn

RustyBug wrote:
Ben,

Just to be clear ... I never said I haven't seen snow appear blue in the shadows. But, by the time you immerse yourself in that same light, bend down, grab up some snow, pack it into a ball and now look at just the ball itself before heaving it in childlike joy ...

nope, no way Jose, nada, nil, null ... I've never thrown a blue snowball. Our eye / brain accommodation takes care of such things for us.

The discussion regarding "as seen" vs. "as captured" is one that will always be correct in either regard, as long as we
...Show more

Hi Kent, my color vision is ok when tested by the process of sorting out various shades, but seems to be off in some way, and it's hard to know what others see. I was questioning if my brain accommodation circuitry was even working. I don't recall seeing a blue snowball either, but I do see red or pink snow at sunset and blue snow in shadows or shade.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:13 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Roberts Horn

ben egbert wrote:

but I do see red or pink snow at sunset and blue snow in shadows or shade.

And as snow itself is colorless ... it reflects the incident light that strikes it @ AI=AR. The other variable then becomes the degree to which we are accommodating. Distant view and different light befalling upon us ... not so much accommodation. Closer proximal view and same lighting upon us ... more accommodation.

If you were to drive up to that same pink snow (i.e. close enough to make a snowball) ... I'm willing to bet that you'd see it as white.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Roberts Horn

I've seen yellow snow! Does that count?

And I've made a few snowballs that had a little yellow in them.

Dave

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:37 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.