New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Alaska in June

MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alaska in June

I'm off to Anchorage in June to visit my brother and his wife who stay there.

Is there anywhere I can do day trips from Anchorage that would allow me to photographer bears, eagles and whales?

I've seen some of the flying tours to go see bears but these are a bit out of my budget.

Is Barrow worth a visit?

Has anyone done the Denali glacier landing tour?

Mark

Jan 14, 2017 at 04:28 PM
bflood
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alaska in June

I'm assuming that, when you say day trip, you mean that you won't be spending the night on the trip, that you plan to return to your brother's place each day.

With that limitation, it'll be a matter of luck. If you drive south along Turnagain Arm, you may see eagles fishing, you may see a bear on a hillside, and the only whale you might see on such a day trip would be a (white) Beluga whale - they get into the Arm sometimes. But you might see nothing. If you continue south onto the Kenai Peninsula, you may find bears and eagles along the Kenai River. They'd be there because of the salmon run, but so will a zillion fishermen and women. I suspect that wildlife photography along the river would be difficult.

If you go to Seward, you could take one of the 8-hour cruises to the Kenai Fjords NP. You'd have a good chance to see a whale, puffins, sea otters, and maybe a distant eagle. Don't take one of the short, 3-hour trips - they don't get out of the bay at Seward. Fitting a day-long cruise into an out-and-back day trip from Anchorage would make for a very long day.

Going north, I suppose you might see a bear with luck, but your luck is likely to be better in Denali NP. However, the park is around 4 hours from Anchorage (each way) - not conducive to a one day trip.

No experience with flights to the Denali glacier or with Barrow. Have you looked at how far it is from Anchorage to Barrow?

Jan 15, 2017 at 10:26 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alaska in June

Bob,

Thanks for the advice. Regarding Barrow, yeah I had looked on the map and saw it was at the complete opposite end of Alaska from Anchorage and that if I wanted to visit there I would need to fly on Alaskan air to get there.

Mark

Jan 16, 2017 at 08:37 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alaska in June

I have taken one of the flights around Denali (with K2 Aviation, out of Talkeetna) each of the three times that I have been in Alaska. My recommendation is to wait for good weather, and jump on it if you get that good weather forecast. The following image was taken June 3rd, 2014:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Places/Alaska/i-dpSpsQz/0/XL/20140603-_D4S3367-Edit-3-Large%20Print-XL.jpg
That is Denali, Ruth Glacier and Ruth Gorge. The cliffs of Ruth Gorge are over one mile high. The scale of things there is hard to imagine. Good luck and enjoy the area!
Keith W.

Jan 17, 2017 at 01:04 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alaska in June

Oh, I meant to add that I did try the Glacier Landing tour one year, but the weather wasn't fully cooperating. Still, the flight was more than worth it!
Keith W.

Jan 17, 2017 at 01:06 PM
Akpilot

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alaska in June

If you want a guarantee at seeing bears go to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. Enclosed animals but the enclosures are measured in acres so it's easy to get good backgrounds.

Eagles check out the Homer Spit.

Whales, go on a whale cruise out of Seward. You can also get good shots of puffins if you bring big glass.

Barrow, if the day fly out bear viewing trips are out of budget than Barrow is way out of budget.

Alaska has amazing scenery around every corner. If you are staying on a tight budget than take a flight seeing trip out of anchorage. Unless you specifically want an inflight picture of Denali or a specific glacier near there why spend more 💰.

Jan 17, 2017 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.