New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2017 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Lunatique
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Nice. I like the one with the red scarf the most.

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:28 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Lunatique wrote:
Nice. I like the one with the red scarf the most.

Thanks, Lunatique!

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:34 AM
Gary Schmeidle
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

All are outstanding Ron but I especially like 5 and 6! The shadows really add something to them!

thanks for sharing them

Jan 19, 2017 at 05:11 PM
donrisi
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

I shoot a lot of dancer audition pics, and by and large, yours are fabulous.

#1 — what a lot of photographers don’t understand is that a dancer can hit this time and time again, but it’s up to the photographer to catch it at the exact right split second. It’s all on you. It is very difficult, and you NAILED IT. Both hands, the head, and more importantly, both feet, but especially the foot tucked up under her, are in the exact right positions. Catching that in a photo is not nearly as easy as it looks. Well, done. Superb lighting, too, BTW.

#3 — poses like this are easier to capture, but well done nonetheless. And again, beautiful light. Love the brick wall and floor as well.

#5 — While it’s not as technically difficult to capture an arabesque in a photo, it’s still got its challenges -- you have to wait for her to get that back leg up and the ankle turned just right, then capture it before she falls out of it. Add in the fabric that has to be captured at its peak moment, and you’ve got a handful. You did a magnificent job of catching all of that. Again, I love the lighting, wall, and floor. Fabulous.

#6 — Great pose, captured at the exact right moment, wonderful light.

Back to #2 & #4 — Love the light, love the smoke. However, I can’t say I’m ever a fan of shooting down on anyone, especially dancers. In my experience, shooting down on a person makes them look considerably shorter than they actually are. If they are even remotely on the heavy side (which this young lady certainly isn’t), shooting down accentuates that heaviness. But with a dancer — especially a classical ballerina, it’s all about looking long and tall, and shooting down on them makes those long, beautiful legs look quite a bit shorter than they actually are. In #2, it makes her in her entirety look shorter than she really is. I don’t know her reaction to these two shots, but I’d bet she would prefer her legs to look like they are a mile long, as opposed to the appearance of being shortened that shooting down on her creates.

Please take this in the spirit in which it was offered. This a an overall fantastic set of beautiful dance photos, and I’m sure she’s just thrilled.

Jan 20, 2017 at 09:47 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Gary Schmeidle wrote:
All are outstanding Ron but I especially like 5 and 6! The shadows really add something to them!

thanks for sharing them

Thanks, Gary! And thanks for sharing your faves!

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Thanks, Don! It's always nice to get comments like this from someone who understands the challenge of dance photography. I totally get what you're saying about 2 and 4, as well, totally understand how the angle of the shot influences how long the legs look, and every dancer wants to be seen with long legs. :-)

I do like to shoot them from different angles just to see if we can find something new with this different perspective. The dancers tend to like it a lot, mainly because it's such a different view than they're used to seeing themselves. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so. I like No. 2 for its focus on her upper body.

Thanks again for your comments!

Ron

donrisi wrote:
I shoot a lot of dancer audition pics, and by and large, yours are fabulous.

#1 — what a lot of photographers don’t understand is that a dancer can hit this time and time again, but it’s up to the photographer to catch it at the exact right split second. It’s all on you. It is very difficult, and you NAILED IT. Both hands, the head, and more importantly, both feet, but especially the foot tucked up under her, are in the exact right positions. Catching that in a photo is not nearly as easy as it looks. Well, done.
...Show more

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM
Mar73
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

So why is this not the feature thread of the week? It is showing 12 votes at the top of the page and the feature thread won with 7. This thread does not even show up.

Jan 21, 2017 at 07:05 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Thanks! I think the Featured Thread of the "Week" is now going two weeks. The previous winner won with 7 votes. I appreciate you sounding out about this! :-)

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:10 PM
twoshadows
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

There is great food for thought here, Ron. To echo others, your BTS info and pictures are much appreciated. Even better are some of the insightful comments. Don, I especially enjoy the perspective your comments bring to the conversation. With my experience in and shooting sports and hummingbirds, I understand how critical timing is with moving subjects. What's more, lighting a moving subject (like a hummingbird or a dancer) Is difficult. And if you're trying to make it look dramatic? Well now you have your work cut out for you.

I would love an opportunity like this. Ever since I started photography I have wanted to photograph dancers. I often visited Jacob's Pillow when I lived in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. They have a wonderful gallery there that I think you would appreciate. Rose Eichenbaum is the photographer and your work would fit right in.

I have one suggestion regarding dramatic lighting. Pick a side. Instead of trying to explain it in my not-so-educated parlance, here is a link to her site:

http://www.roseeichenbaum.com/#s=4&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&p=1&a=0&at=0

The specific photo I'm referencing is under Photographer>Dance>Studio, image number five of Eliana Gerard. (the link should take you there) When I think of a dramatically lit dancer, this comes to mind.

In your examples I would like to have seen more separation between the dancer and the wall, the main light at a strict 90° angle (it seems yours is for most of these) and the fill at a 45° angle behind the dancer (the main reason for more separation between dancer and wall - the other is better control of lighting the back wall). I don't know the technical term for the way I would use the fill, but it creates a rim of light along the edge of the subject.

This is my interpretation of dramatic lighting and how I would handle it. I offer this critique in the kindest spirit and with greatest respect.

Kindness,

Ms Julian

Jan 22, 2017 at 12:54 AM
BobnJake
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Great stuff Ron, you can certainly pull off magic in your studio, I got such an education in photo setup when Nina was there for her shoot, you listen to her for input on what she was trying to , then together you two worked making subtle changes to get everything PERFECT, loved when after taking a series of shots for one pose, I saw a big smile on your face, when you looked up and said, I GOT IT!!!
Thanks, Bob

Jan 22, 2017 at 07:50 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

BobnJake wrote:
Great stuff Ron, you can certainly pull off magic in your studio, I got such an education in photo setup when Nina was there for her shoot, you listen to her for input on what she was trying to , then together you two worked making subtle changes to get everything PERFECT, loved when after taking a series of shots for one pose, I saw a big smile on your face, when you looked up and said, I GOT IT!!!
Thanks, Bob

Thanks, Bob! That was such a fun shoot! And it was so good to meet you and spend some time with you (and introduce you to Chicago-style pizza!).

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:43 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Thanks, Julian. We all shoot in different styles, and it's really about what our brand is, our style is, as opposed to what is better. I did look at the picture you mentioned, and it's considerably different from my style when I use dramatic lighting. Definitely works for that photographer, but just not my thing.

I'd had a shoot with the Houston Ballet at Jacob's Pillow a few years ago, and Annie Leibovitz's work with dance in the early 1980s was on display in their gallery. JP is a glorious place for dance.

Thanks for your comments!

Ron

twoshadows wrote:
There is great food for thought here, Ron. To echo others, your BTS info and pictures are much appreciated. Even better are some of the insightful comments. Don, I especially enjoy the perspective your comments bring to the conversation. With my experience in and shooting sports and hummingbirds, I understand how critical timing is with moving subjects. What's more, lighting a moving subject (like a hummingbird or a dancer) Is difficult. And if you're trying to make it look dramatic? Well now you have your work cut out for you.

I would love an opportunity like this. Ever since I started
...Show more

Jan 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM
twoshadows
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

- I'm glad you took it in the spirit it was meant. I have since been shown other photos, amazing photos, and my eyes have been opened a little more.

Best,

Miss Julian

Jan 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM
falconbach
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Great job on these. I have to say that though that #2 and #4 are my least favorites by far. #2 viewpoint is rather awkward to my eyes but in #4 clumsiness comes to mind when I look at the posture of the dancer.
My fav's are #6, #1 and #3 in that order.

The lighting and exposure are great in all of them. #3 could maybe have been improved a little with very small bit of fill light on her front.

Having said that, take these with grain of salt - I have never photographed dancers so maybe my points are completely off.

Jan 28, 2017 at 08:21 AM
story_teller
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Hi Ron, there's a large crowd of photographers who can take great photos, but when your photos inspire others to take action, the crowd gets significantly smaller! Well done!

Larry

Jan 28, 2017 at 09:20 AM
niani.gil
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Very well done Ron
Difficult to pick, but #5 is my favourite
Nigil

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:37 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Thanks, guys!

Jan 29, 2017 at 07:25 PM
milkod2001
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

excellent work with lights, great shots

Jan 30, 2017 at 06:07 AM
droaingsong

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

Great shots with suitable explanations.

Feb 03, 2017 at 11:09 AM
1swt2gs
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Dancer audition pics gone artistic

#2 is def a winner for me! The top down shot makes her look tall!

Feb 05, 2017 at 10:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.