FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

This tiny, spindly, mite is often to be seen running rapidly around on rotten wood, tree bark,etc. It constantly waves its front legs around, using them much like antennae, mainly touching the substrate ahead of it. They are usually very difficult to photograph.

I was tracking a Dicyrtoma with my lens when two white legs entered the frame momentarily. The first image shows an adult, which looks just like the coloured illustration in the original description of L. motatorius. The other two show an immature, less-coloured individual. The pink blob, on the left, in the latter images is the rear, OOF, of the Dicytoma.

EM-1, x2 TC (4/3) Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 at f11 (f22 effective), Raynox MSN-202 supplementary, triple TTL off-camera flash, hand-held.

The FOV was 5mm wide, cropped to ca 4mm in the first image and a little less in the others.

Harold

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Harold Gough 2017

Edited on Mar 28, 2017 at 03:39 AM · View previous versions

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:44 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

Good find Harold- like the first shot
Brian v.

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:46 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

LordV wrote:
Good find Harold- like the first shot
Brian v.

Thanks, Brian.

It slowed down in that fuzzy growth, perhaps trying to blend in with the background.

Harold

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:53 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

But how did you ever find this little specimen? Well captured and presented Harold!
Douglas

Jan 14, 2017 at 07:38 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

douter wrote:
But how did you ever find this little specimen? Well captured and presented Harold!
Douglas

Thanks, Douglas.

Essentially, I have an awareness, based on lots of experience, that certain species are likely to be present. I locate individuals with the naked eye but framing them is a nightmare and many are never framed. The terrain is mostly very three-dimensional, requiring vertical refocusing as well as horizontal tracking. Recycling of the flash guns takes several seconds, another cause of missed images.

Not many shots are keepers.

Harold

Jan 14, 2017 at 08:14 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

Very nice Harold ~ Ron

Jan 14, 2017 at 08:34 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

surfnron wrote:
Very nice Harold ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

A previous, but rather different encounter with the genus:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1387900

Harold

Jan 14, 2017 at 01:59 PM
dclark
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

I am astounded by the images that macro masters can capture. Your description of the technique and equipment used baffles me, but the images are amazing.
Dave

Jan 14, 2017 at 04:38 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

nice lookin set Harold

Jan 14, 2017 at 07:55 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Linopodes motatorius Mite

dclark wrote:
I am astounded by the images that macro masters can capture. Your description of the technique and equipment used baffles me, but the images are amazing.
Dave

Thanks, Dave.

Think of it more like using ultra-telephoto lenses. The angle of view may be tiny.

Where macro differs is that as magnification increases, so the light in the image is diluted, effectively reducing the aperture. The most effective way of dealing with that, in the field anyway, is with flash. I often spend a lot of time positioning my flash guns, often having to balance them on e.g. rotten logs, prior to shooting. If my subject changes position and/or direction I may have to reposition the flash accordingly. The other delay factor is that macro is heavy on battery life and having to insert fresh one can lose shots.

Rather as with telephoto, DOF is an issue but very much more so, often with a total of a mm or two. If we stop down too far, we get diffraction.

kmunroe wrote:
nice lookin set Harold

Thanks, Kenny.

Harold

Jan 15, 2017 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.