New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Pius Sullivan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Which program can I use to get the shutter count on my 5DS-R? I have shuttercount but does not work for the 5DS-R..

Thanks

Pius

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:39 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shutter count 5dS-R

It appears that Canon has closed the door on access to info needed for the count. The Shuttercount website says it happened in 2015. I was quite happy with Shuttercount, it seemed to be the most accurate of any I tried. Too bad.

Jan 17, 2017 at 05:01 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shutter count 5dS-R

I haven't heard of any programs that work now. I sold mine with a shutter count based on my file names which was easy to check in LR but the buyer must have faith in the seller to trust that as it can be manipulated. I just checked how many times it reset at the 10,000 limit and then got my number.
Still, I can't see how a 5DSR will ever use up its shutter, especially as they haven't been on the market all that long. Personally I don't care one bit what the shutter count is on a camera I purchase as it has no statistical significance.

Jan 17, 2017 at 05:46 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shutter count 5dS-R

arbitrage wrote:
Personally I don't care one bit what the shutter count is on a camera I purchase as it has no statistical significance.

I agree, although it can help to know shutter count when you're selling a camera. Same as keeping the original box & gubbins.

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:11 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shutter count 5dS-R

If i would have the choice to get a car with 10,000 Km for the same price of a car with 85,000 Km i would choose the 10,000 Km one. The same would be logical for a camera .

Francois

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Nobody should sell a 5DsR, at least not until the 5DsR II.

EBH

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:44 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shutter count 5dS-R

EB-1 wrote:
Nobody should sell a 5DsR, at least not until the 5DsR II.

EBH

I sold mine for the 5D4....but YMMV......

Jan 17, 2017 at 07:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shutter count 5dS-R

jcolwell wrote:
I agree, although it can help to know shutter count when you're selling a camera. Same as keeping the original box & gubbins.

For sure....buyers of cameras are ridiculous....Personally I wish the standard was to just throw out the box and we could ship in smaller boxes (saving money) and I wouldn't have an entire spare bedroom closet dedicated to bloody boxes

When I sold my 300 2.8, I could have shipped that in a box 10x smaller than the original....even if I shipped in the plastic case I would still have been able to use a box 1/2 the size of the Canon box.

I wish we could somehow change the trend for needing boxes....shutter counts I still understand although if we can't even get programs to tell us anymore than that trend is going to have to end also. Other than 1 series sales that tell you in the menu. I'm not wasting time and money to ship to CPS just to get a shutter count before selling. I will use LR file numbering to give the buyer an honest number and they can take it or leave it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 07:25 PM
1swt2gs
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Shutter count 5dS-R

I don't think its unreasonable to ask for a shutter count when spending something like 3k for a used camera.

As qc_mountain mentioned, it really does depend on shutter count to see how relatively new the camera is. Buying a camera with a extremely high shutter count means its been used more and closer to required maintenance.

Jan 17, 2017 at 08:27 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Some people have a phobia about shutter count. I would rather buy a camera that looks like new and has been used only in a studio with 100,000 shots on it, than one that looks beat-up with 10,000 shots on it.

So what if a $3,000-$5,000 camera needs the shutter replaced for $300-$500?

There are lots of photographers shooting with cameras that have had the shutter assembly replaced and work perfectly for many more years.

And one can certainly buy a car in worse shape with 10,000 miles on it than one with 85,000 miles on it.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:50 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Shutter count 5dS-R

1swt2gs wrote:
it really does depend on shutter count to see how relatively new the camera is.

No it doesn't. A pro, and even amateurs, can have 100,000 shots on a month-old camera, and someone else can have only 10,000 shots on a year-old camera.

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:55 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Shutter count 5dS-R

1swt2gs wrote:
... Buying a camera with a extremely high shutter count means its been used more and closer to required maintenance.

A low shutter count can mean that the camera has been used a lot, and has a new shutter box.

Jan 18, 2017 at 06:36 AM
AgnesL

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Hi,
ShutterCount app solved the problem, so it reads the shutter counter of Canon 5DS R.
http://www.direstudio.com/shuttercount/tech-specs/#cameras

Cheers

Mar 05, 2018 at 05:55 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Pius Sullivan wrote:
Which program can I use to get the shutter count on my 5DS-R? I have shuttercount but does not work for the 5DS-R..

Thanks

Pius

ShutterCount does work if you have the latest version.

Mar 05, 2018 at 10:37 AM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Shutter count 5dS-R

Conversely a low shutter count on an old body can indicate that it has been used extensively for video with associated component heating. Or perhaps it has been sitting in a drawer for years and might have dried lubricants. Hard to tell which but both are useful signals.

I saw a worn 5D2 on eBay recently with fewer than 7,000 actuations. I stayed away from that one.

I don't understand why Canon keep trying to hide the shutter count. What's in it for them?

Mar 05, 2018 at 10:58 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Shutter count 5dS-R

luminaire wrote:
I don't understand why Canon keep trying to hide the shutter count. What's in it for them?

They don't hide it - at least I have no problems checking it, per my post above...

Mar 05, 2018 at 11:35 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Shutter count 5dS-R

molson wrote:

Hence why this thread is 14 months old...

Mar 05, 2018 at 11:55 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Shutter count 5dS-R

molson wrote:

Thanks for the tip.. Worked fine first time.

Mar 05, 2018 at 12:19 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Shutter count 5dS-R

arbitrage wrote:
Hence why this thread is 14 months old...

Then why are you keeping it going...?

Mar 05, 2018 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.