New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

pplskills
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

My main camera is a Sony A7 ii and I have a bunch of Sony lenses. I won't risk taking my really expensive gear into the rain so I'm looking to pick up a second camera body which would only be used to shoot in the rain and snow. I mean heavy rain and snow...I'm not going to baby it or use an umbrella or anything. I'm looking for a camera and lens combo that has the least chance being ruined by water.

I've heard good things about the Olympus micro 4/3 cameras. What do you guys think about a E-M5 mark ii and the 12-40 2.8 pro. I've seen youtube videos of people putting this combo in the sink and running water over it. I can't afford the E-M1 Mark ii. I can afford the mark 1 but it looks like the E5 mark ii has better specs. Thoughts?

Jan 13, 2017 at 02:41 AM
Wolfie5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

Hi,
I'm been using Olympus digital for some years and I've stayed with them since the original E-1 because they make bodies and lenses that are well sealed. I've used an original E-M5 with a 12-40 Pro for about 18 months - I take it saltwater fly fishing and its get splashed with saltwater, wiped with fish slime, sprinkled with sand and pelted with rain. Still going strong. Most of the shots on my website are with this combo. So I can heartily endorse that the combo you mention is a good choice, if anything the E-M5 MkII has slightly better build quality as well.
https://aucklandswoffer.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/p9111034web.jpg

https://aucklandswoffer.wordpress.com

One thing I've learned the hard way - don't walk around with the touch-shutter function activated on the rear LCD - every time the camera bumps against your body it shoot a picture or two hundred ...

Jan 13, 2017 at 04:12 AM
pplskills
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

Thanks for reply. I'm also considering Fuji X-T1 with a 35 prime which is also weather sealed. Hard to know if it is as good as Olympus. Glad to know about your experience with your E-1. I wonder what Sony has to offer.

Jan 13, 2017 at 04:33 AM
pplskills
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

Welp, no way I'm going to risk my Sony. Fuji has also gotten mixed reviews. Guess I'm gonna go with the E-1.

Jan 13, 2017 at 05:37 AM
owyhee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

I will second the high praise for Olympus weather sealing. I have taken my EM5 and 12-40 everywhere under all conditions and have had no issues. Soaked it in the rain, had wet snow pile up on it, used it in dusty and really really dusty conditions with no issues. I have no dust on the sensor and no dust in the lens that I can see.

Jan 13, 2017 at 08:51 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

I don't know about the other cameras and how well they are sealed, but here is my EM1. Every time I wanted to take a shot and adjust the zoom, I had to crack the ice.

Once I was home, I just gave it a warm shower in the sink and dried it.

When Ming Thein reviewed the the EM-1, he ran hot water on the camera for 30 minutes in the shower.

Freezing temperatures by Thomas Dekany, on Flickr

Jan 17, 2017 at 05:59 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best Waterproof Camera Body and Lens Combo

My Pany G85 is also weatherproof (though not sure if it's equivalent to the E-M1) and should do you well too. It's my skiing camera where it gets subjected to the humidity of being stuffed inside my coat, pelted by snow, and subjected to heavy condensation when brought back inside the humid house from being soaked in the cold.

Had an E-M1 and couldn't get along with it (UI and externals), but it was certainly a sturdy and finely engineered (mechanically) piece of gear.

Take a look at the G85 . . . has a built-in flash as well and the IBIS is very very good.

Jan 17, 2017 at 07:26 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.