New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Lumix LX100 Samples

gheller
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I know, not a "Canon", but many people in this forum have been wondering about a good P/S as compared with the Sony and Canon equivalent, so I figure posting here would help.

After a couple of weeks on vacation with this camera (I chose the retro silver / brown one), here are my thoughts:

- Love the look of the camera
- Switching from AF to Macro was very tough with the leather case on
- IQ nice, but thought it would be better than the Sony RX and G7X (of which I have owned both). IQ was at or even slightly lower, especially at full zoom. Granted I was shooting only jpeg, so RAW shooting may have yielded better results.
- Manual control was laborious. Often my family was frustrated as I adjusted f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO to fit the situation. I shot manual as well with the Sony and Canon, and never felt as frustrated like this.
- I thought that the lack of touch screen wouldn't bother me, but for macro shots, it would constantly pick something to AF on that wasn't intended. Had to focus and recompose many times.

Overall, I would have to say I was slightly disappointed and will be looking for another P/S for family trips.

Here are some images to peruse:

https://goo.gl/photos/vE1VMY6FTGg5R1K87

HTH

Greg

Edited on Jan 09, 2017 at 10:50 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2017 at 10:30 PM
rlandrigan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lumix LX100 Samples

Thanks for the report - this is confirming what I was feeling about the camera, but hoping to find untrue...but looks like this is a great idea not fully implemented.

Jan 09, 2017 at 10:35 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lumix LX100 Samples

It's always a tricky segment - generally full of marketing bullcrap that over promises and tries to 'wow' amateurs with how technically advanced this or that camera is. Instead of focussing on basics of operational and AF speed/accuracy, and IQ.

Jan 09, 2017 at 10:40 PM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I *really* wanted to like this camera. Fast (f/1.7) and retro styling... who could want anything more?

I am looking at the LX10... a bit faster (f/1.4) but a smaller sensor (1"). The low resolution of the LX100 was a bit disappointing. I think they put it at 16.7MP, but it uses around 12 at a time because of the ability to choose format (square, 16:9, 3:2, etc).

Greg

Jan 09, 2017 at 10:41 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lumix LX100 Samples

After going through a bunch of pseudo P&S cameras (RX100, X-E2, X-T1, M5) all I can conclude is that the best P&S camera for me is a Canon 5D (insert whatever Roman numeral here). I can get a proper picture with a 5D(x) faster than any so called P&S. I'm done with this segment until something useful comes along. If I don't want to carry a 5D sized camera then I a fine with my iPhone.

So my kit is now top end Canon DSLRs and iPhone.

Jan 09, 2017 at 10:46 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lumix LX100 Samples

Isn't this why God invented Fuji?

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:14 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I was very tempted by the Lumix LX100 for point 'n shoot duty a few months back (former Lumix GX1 user) but ended up with an EOS M3 when the price dropped below $300. I took the M3 on vacation last month and found it much easier to use compared to the Pen E-P3, E-P5 and GX1 I owned before it, but a little harder to use than a SL1. And image quality is excellent. I recall the Pens and GX1 were really tough to get balanced fill flash in low light and I had to monkey with them endlessly to get decent slow sync images. In Av mode on the SL1 and M3, slow sync images are close to perfect at default.

Jan 10, 2017 at 01:39 AM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lumix LX100 Samples

gheller wrote:
I *really* wanted to like this camera. Fast (f/1.7) and retro styling... who could want anything more?

I am looking at the LX10... a bit faster (f/1.4) but a smaller sensor (1"). The low resolution of the LX100 was a bit disappointing. I think they put it at 16.7MP, but it uses around 12 at a time because of the ability to choose format (square, 16:9, 3:2, etc).

Greg

The Sony RX100 series or the Canon G7X II or G9X II should fit your needs. I find the IQ to be more or less comparable based on the sample pics out there for all the 1in sensor cameras with 24/28 to 70/100mm zoom range lenses. You're really paying more for features like EVF, 4k video and such. I took advantage of a good deal from best buy on an open box RX100 mark 1s and am very happy with it. Images look great and matches well color wise with my main Sony camera kit.

With the RX100, you can set it to auto and it does have some advanced functionality if you want more control. I'd imagine the canon ones operate similarly. The Panasonic LX10 seems nice on paper but I find it packed with far too many gimmicky features when I tried it in store. I ignored the RX100 V for that similar reason - it's overkill for the 80% of use cases that most people use point and shoots for and massively overpriced.

Jan 10, 2017 at 01:47 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I did own the RX100 (Mk 3 if memory serves) and did like it quite a bit. Also owned the G7x (mk1) with similar feelings.

Wanted to step up to a larger sensor, but that didn't really make much of a difference in IQ and was not nearly as easy to use (in full manual, which is all that I really use)

greg

Jan 10, 2017 at 01:53 AM
tzhang4284
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lumix LX100 Samples

gheller wrote:
I did own the RX100 (Mk 3 if memory serves) and did like it quite a bit. Also owned the G7x (mk1) with similar feelings.

Wanted to step up to a larger sensor, but that didn't really make much of a difference in IQ and was not nearly as easy to use (in full manual, which is all that I really use)

greg

Ah missed that little bit in your original post! I had a APS-C based Nikon Coolpix A for a while and that did move the needle from an IQ perspective vs the LX100 and the 1in sensor cameras but I "downgraded" to an RX100 since i found a single focal length to be too limiting. I think the LX100's lower resolution sensor really levels the playing field for the 1in sensor cameras vs. the LX100.

If you really want to move the needle in the IQ dept, move to an APS-C point and shoot - Nikon Coolpix A (D7000 in your pocket basically), Ricoh GR, Fuji X70 and Fuji X100 but be aware you will be focal length limited. I would re-buy the Coolpix A or buy the Fuji X70 if I were to go this route again.

I think the LX100 is a camera that reviewers love but not really practical for day to day use. I would either go with a more complicated DSLR or mirrorless camera for max IQ and control or use a point of shoot for simplicity and compactness. Maybe if they used a best in class higher resolution sensor with a lens that covered the entire image circle, it would've made a difference but as it stands, it seems underpowered relative to the concept of giving you the power and control of a more complicated camera with the portability of a point and shoot.

Edit: the lack of a built in flash was also a deal breaker for me when i tried it out. I think for this class of cameras, built in flash is 100% essential - more so than a built in EVF.

Tony

Jan 10, 2017 at 02:37 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lumix LX100 Samples

Probably will look at the G7xII for my summer trip (unless something better pops up before then).

As for the lack of flash on the LX100, I used the camera for 2 weeks traveling around and not once did I use it. I much prefer natural light, but for some, I know this is a problem. Likewise, I never used the EVF that people rave about.

Aloha

greg

Jan 10, 2017 at 03:39 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I tried and could not enjoy the LX100. It isn't small enough to be a pocket camera (maybe coat pocket), and isn't good enough/capable enough to justify the size. I'd rather carry an EOS M_ variation, Fuji X, or Sony (anything).
Now if I want a pocket cam, that is simple- either my phone which I always have- Google Nexus 5X, or a Sony RX100 of some sort.

Jan 10, 2017 at 08:37 AM
HansB
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I've tried the LX3, LX100, RX100 but always end up going back to Canon P&S when I don't want to carry my 5D. Airplane was taken with S100, the others with G9X. The G9X is easily pocketable.The last is heavily cropped.

http://www.pbase.com/hb1840/image/164813972/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hb1840/image/164813973/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hb1840/image/164813975/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/hb1840/image/164813976/original.jpg

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:01 AM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I owned the LX100 for about a month to use on a trip in which my larger camera equipment just wouldn't have worked (honeymoon). I find it odd that you find it more difficult to shoot in manual mode than the RX100 and the G7X. Those other cameras require you to go through the menu for too many things. I always shot the LX100 with back button focus, the focus ring to control the ISO, obviously aperture ring and shutter speed dial to control those, Fn1 to change the focus point location. Heck, I never needed to take my eye away from the viewfinder. It was a more pleasant shooting experience than my Canon 6D. The LX100 is the sole reason I'm considering the Fuji XT-2, as I learned that the manual dial experience is so enjoyable.

As far as the decision to purchase the LX100 to improve image quality over the RX100 iii or Canon G7X...had you asked, I think anyone who has used the camera could have explained that didn't make sense. Although the sensor is larger, none of the aspect ratio crop modes available actually use the entire sensor. In addition you are comparing 12MP to 20MP. Off the bat, knowing those two things, it does not bode well for the LX100.

Edited on Jan 10, 2017 at 01:21 PM · View previous versions

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:04 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lumix LX100 Samples

I felt the LX100 jpgs actually looked worse in many situations than my phone's output.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:13 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.