Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

Nick3434
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

So I bought an X-e2 today and need an m42 adaptor, but it is coming from Japan so I have a little time. I broke down and jumped on a kit in mint condition with a 18-55....and as much as I hate zoom lenses, I read a lot here on how the 18-55 is not really a kit lens, and feel like being honest the 18-55 looks to really make this camera what it is supposed to be, convenience with great photos, and perfect for the wife to use as all around. So I am finally officially in the Fuji club.

Anyway, I have a Pentax 55 1.4 that I want to use with it, so that is my starting point and I will just add X primes as I go. My question is, is this an easy dumb mount like for my canon ef and any eBay adaptor is fine? Or is there something recommended? Canon mount from m42 you could use cheapest China adaptor and it will not effect photos.

Also what is a speed booster? like if I get that for my 55 1.4, can I essentially get 1.4 on FF dof on the Fuji? Optics wise this is a fantastic lens, and would I have something faster than the Fuji 1.2 if I speed boosted this? I read a little but I really don't follow the speed boosting or how and if it hurts images etc (Has to some right?)

Thanks.

Jan 09, 2017 at 06:01 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

Nick3434 wrote:
...My question is, is this an easy dumb mount like for my canon ef and any eBay adaptor is fine?

Yes. You also have to enable "shoot with no lens" in camera-setup menu 3. I use Fotodiox M42 to EOS adapters with most of my M42 lenses, and put them on an EOS to X adapter for my X-E2.

I don't use speed boosters, but the concept is simple; it takes the entire full-frame image circle that's output from the lens, and reduces it in diameter to match the smaller APS-C sensor that's in the camera. This preserves the FF field of view, and also increases the amount of light across the smaller image circle (it's compressed), and so it "boosts" the lens. It's the opposite of a teleconverter. In both cases (booster and teleconverter), the additional optics will compromise the bare-lens image quality, but the amount of compromise (i.e. IQ reduction) will vary widely with the quality of the added optics. A good teleconverter like the Canon 1.4x III Extender makes very little difference to IQ. I assume that some boosters are just as good, but you know what they say about assumptions, eh?

Jan 10, 2017 at 08:22 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

M42 is probably the easiest mount to adapt since it is so simple itself.

I have Kipon BavEyes in EF mount (then to Fuji with M42 or Contax lenses adapted to EF). Center sharpness is great, extreme edges get soft. If you do relatively center subject images (portraits or objects for example), its not really a problem but edge to edge landscapes, for example, wont cut it.

With the basic adapter, you get a great 75 1.4, so that's nothing to sneeze at

18-55: Definitely give it a chance, it is pretty impressive. I am constantly dismissing it since I have 'better' prime lenses but the IS and image quality make a much better lens than you'll expect!

Jan 10, 2017 at 09:06 AM
Nick3434
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

Cool. I didn't realize I had to change a mode to shoot no lens. I think I need to fight my ADHD urges and actually read up on the manual and make sure the firmware is up to speed. Since my manual is going to be in Japanese (I bought it from Japan, hahaha) I will just find one on Internet that is best for most recent firmware. Definitely going to be weird since I have only used canon dslrs and know my 6d with eyes closed going through stuff.

I think I will get a basic adaptor and go from there, can always add. I am really excited to see how much smaller this rig operates. Still on fence with if getting the zoom was right call or not, which is why I am focusing on getting the Pentax on it, but yes, everyone says the zoom is a sleeper.

Jan 10, 2017 at 09:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · M42 adaptor/speed booster, does it matter?

You can leave it in "shoot with no lens" permanently, as it still works the same with Fujifilm X-mount lenses.

You definitely should check that the FW is up to date. A year or so ago, Fujifilm released a FW update that made substantial improvements to the camera, including a noticeable increase in AF system performance. I think it was FW vewrsion 4.0, which is what I'm currently running. It's simple to check; turn the camera off, push and hold the DISP/BACK button while turning it back on, and then you see the FW status/upgrade screen. Just turn it off and back on without the button push to go back to normal.

Jan 11, 2017 at 05:40 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.