Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

AmbientMike
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

Just on ebay, saw eos to m4/3 that had speedboosters/fl reducers and some sort of aperture control. How well do these work? What are the best brands, or are they pretty similar?

I don't have a wa for m4/3, so I'd be using it possibly on an 11-16. Is this a good idea?

Would these potentially damage the aperture, or does the aperture just stay wide open,with an aperture built into the adapter? Should I get one sans speedbooster?

Any other ways to do this or suggestions?

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:46 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

This one
http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_EF-m43-BT2

Jan 10, 2017 at 02:38 AM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

Smart adapters for EF lenses to M4/3 are the Metabones (both speedbooster and non focal reducer versions) and Kipon (non focal reducer only).

These allow AF (at least AFS anyway with most lenses and M4/3 cameras) as well as aperture control and if applicable often work for IS too.

There ARE dumb adapters available for Canon EF but they are only really of use for lenses with mechanical aperture and focus (some third party lenses only really).
I have a Lens Turbo focal reducer for Canon EF to M4/3 and it is useless with all my Canon lenses (some limited use with my 17 f4 L TS-E in that I CAN at least use it but no aperture control though I can at least focus it). My Kipon smart adapter works great for AFS at least on my GX7.

You would be best to try the Metabones Speed Booster for what you want though I think a lens like the 11-16 would be fine with a 22-32mm angle of view.

Jan 10, 2017 at 06:55 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

I don't know what the Kipon costs, but for the cost of the Metabones you could get a used Olympus 9-18mm which is tiny and reviewed pretty well. Just something to consider.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:09 PM
DamC.Licks

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

Overlooked the fact that you want to use it wide angle. Keep in mind that the field of view with an 11- 16 will be like 22-32 on 4/3, so add a speedbooster to compensate for that somewhat, and screw up the whole optical formula in the process, and I would say forget it! It would be a sure recipe for mush and CA. Agree with the above. Look for a dedicated FT or mFT WA.

Jan 11, 2017 at 04:33 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Adapt EOS to M4/3 with aperture control etc.?

I have Metabones adapters and since I also have a lot of Canon glass, the adapters are a great way to use that glass on a new system. As for the comment above: "sure recipe for mush and CA" - I don't find this to be the case at all.

Jan 13, 2017 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.