New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Strawbery Fields, Forever?

Charlie San
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strawbery Fields, Forever?

An interesting turn of events regarding our public parks here in Colorado and one that may be of interest to photographers on this site. Also, I think it is worthy of hearing about outside the local area.

In 1885 the citizens of Colorado Springs voted to acquire land for a public park that is commonly known as the Strawberry Fields. Recently the Broadmoor Resort has sought to acquire this land in a land swap. As some of you may know, the Broadmoor is a magnificent 5 star hotel and resort that is the pride of Colorado Springs. They have quite expansive land holdings in the Springs and along the front range, and a good bit of influence. What their intent is for acquiring the land is unknown but I am sure they want to use it commercially and I heard that they want to build wedding facilities and horse stables there.

The Colorado Springs City Council has approved the land swap which strikes many of the citizens as outrageous, that a purchase that was voted on by the citizens and that has been a historical part of the area can be traded to a private business without the vote of the people seems wrong. They have formed an organization to oppose this swap and you can read a pretty fair appraisal here: http://www.savecheyenne.org/. I am not myself taking sides here nor am I asking that anyone get involved more than considering what is taking place for there is more at stake than just this park or just here. for example...

The Garden of the Gods is certainly the crown jewel of the park system here in Colorado Springs. It is consistently listed as one of the best city parks in the nation and it is a wonderful photographic location too, but it seems to me its public use may be more tenuous than the Strawberry Fields. The former was simply donated while the park in question was voted on and purchased with public funds. Are your public parks in such risk too?

Jan 09, 2017 at 07:42 PM
Fred Amico
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strawbery Fields, Forever?

This seems to be happening in a number of places. Locally we have a nature park that has been meticulously restored to most of its natural state, and is a very nice place to visit. Recently the city council thought we should build sports fields and such there, and there was huge opposition.

The dispute finally made its way to the ballot box,with two opposing measure on the ballot - one to keep the park natural (favored by most citizens), and one put forth by the city council under the guise of "improving" park facilities.

For now, the public won, but who knows what the future will bring.

Jan 09, 2017 at 08:15 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password