New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

I am starting to think that way now. I've always felt that with the 100-400 you will mostly use the lens at the 400mm end, which is slightly soft on the PL ... but having to put on the TC, then take it off, and then putting it back on again is a royal PITA and may cost you a shot or two.

mitesh wrote:
I used to be that way, too, Alex until I realized that there are times when versatility and focal length flexibility are more desirable than ultimate sharpness or faster aperture . I'm poorer for that knowledge, however, because now I own both zooms and primes

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:52 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

Good to hear from you, Bobby! The 'monkey said you guys got a lot of shots at Bosque, but I wasn't sure if he meant photos or the other kind of shots .

Jan 15, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

DamC.Licks wrote:
"Like Canon has been slack in competing with Sigma & Tamron 150-600mm lenses in that price range"...
I used to think that too until I tested a 100-400 II against the best of the 150-600s the Sigma S. The Canon is sharper wide open WITH a 1.4x Extender III at 560mm that the Sigma at 600 (actually only 560)mm even stopped down to f/8.

So what if the Canon combo is better? It is not in the same price range as the Sigma Contemporary or Tamron. The Canon combo is $1,000 more.

The reason both Sigma and Tamron have sold so many of those lenses is because of the price, not the IQ.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

mitesh wrote:
Good to hear from you, Bobby! The 'monkey said you guys got a lot of shots at Bosque, but I wasn't sure if he meant photos or the other kind of shots .

Always good to catch up with The Monkey. He brought cold beer for us! Will take me awhile to process my images but here's one that I posted on Will's thread.

E-M1MarkII    M.300mm F4.0 + MC-14 lens    420mm    f/5.6    1/500s    250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 16, 2017 at 06:48 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

^^^ Just beautiful!

Jan 16, 2017 at 07:28 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

Thank you!

mitesh wrote:
^^^ Just beautiful!

Jan 16, 2017 at 08:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

Is there a reason why the weird guidelines appear on the mat & frame? Saw this on someone else's posting on the N&W Forum.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1470173

Jan 16, 2017 at 08:21 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

With the combination of the 5-axis image stabilization of the E-M1 and E-M5 cameras and the 300mm f/4 IS, one can take pictures at 1/8s with the 1.4x teleconverter, hand held, and get sharp images. I have shot with Canon IS and Nikon VR lenses and they are not even half as effective in image stabilization as this Olympus combination that is truly state of the art.

Jan 23, 2017 at 01:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!

elkhornsun wrote:
With the combination of the 5-axis image stabilization of the E-M1 and E-M5 cameras and the 300mm f/4 IS, one can take pictures at 1/8s with the 1.4x teleconverter, hand held, and get sharp images. I have shot with Canon IS and Nikon VR lenses and they are not even half as effective in image stabilization as this Olympus combination that is truly state of the art.

It is an amazing system they've created. My issue is the subjects I shoot are always sort of moving...even a perched bird moves all the time...therefore I still have to have a fairly high SS like 1/320 to compensate for the small movements....higher is even better of course.....1/8s is great but not for wildlife....unless its sleeping

But still even having that type of IS at 1/320 would increase my keeper rate substantially as at those speeds with 800mm of lens its not just subject motion that is the issue.

Being able to go lower and lower with SS even if it isn't to 1/8s is a bonus as it allows you to keep the ISO way down and take advantage of the M43 sensor without going into the unpleasant M43 ISO ranges that one usually ends up with when at f/5.6 and 1/1000 or faster SS.

Jan 23, 2017 at 02:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password