Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!
  
 
jstephens62
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


I am both a birder and photographer, and for years while birding I have shot with with my Olympus OM-D EM-1 with the Panasonic 100-300 for casual hand-held bird shots. When I was serious, I would use my Canon 5D MIII with the Canon 500 f4 MI and gimbal head. As I was never really satisfied with the Oly/Panasonic shots, I decided to rent the Panasonic 100-400 and the Olympus 300 f4 for a weekend. Oh my gosh! What have I been missing all this time. The Panasonic was great, but the Olympus is just mind blowing. This is a 100% crop of a Black-capped Chickadee, hand held at 1/400 sec, f4, ISO 1250. It is not a good shot, but it does show what kind of resolution the lens if capable of. The Canon gear is clearly better for birds in flight, but for perched birds I am now an Olympus shooter.







Jan 09, 2017 at 02:37 AM
Iwas joeking
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


It is an awesome lens although I think the focus clutch should have a locking mechanism.


Jan 09, 2017 at 02:44 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Yeah ... there should be a locking mechanism. The first time you accidentally and unwittingly bumped/shifted the clutch to MF you would go "WTF happened to the AF?" Happens to us all I think.

Iwas joeking wrote:
It is an awesome lens although I think the focus clutch should have a locking mechanism.




Jan 09, 2017 at 03:07 AM
Iwas joeking
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!




bobbytan wrote:
Yeah ... there should be a locking mechanism. The first time you accidentally and unwittingly bumped/shifted the clutch to MF you would go "WTF happened to the AF?" Happens to us all I think.



I think I do it every time I use it!



Jan 09, 2017 at 03:11 AM
Bobg657
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


In the menu on both EM1's you can make that inoperative (under Cog A3 for the Mark 2)


Jan 09, 2017 at 03:23 AM
jstephens62
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


One thing I liked about having the manual clutch was in challenging situations, I could very quickly switch to manual. With focus peaking I could see the area of focus sweep back and forth until I had it where is wanted it. Again this is a bad shot, but I was able to get focus on this House Sparrow in this blackberry tangle. I think this would have been harder to get with the Canon system.







Jan 09, 2017 at 03:36 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


What sparrow?

jstephens62 wrote:
One thing I liked about having the manual clutch was in challenging situations, I could very quickly switch to manual. With focus peaking I could see the area of focus sweep back and forth until I had it where is wanted it. Again this is a bad shot, but I was able to get focus on this House Sparrow in this blackberry tangle. I think this would have been harder to get with the Canon system.




Jan 09, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


If the Oly 300 f4 Pro with a TC gives better results than the P/L 100-400 at 400mm, I would be impressed.




  E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    1600 ISO    +0.3 EV  






  E-M1MarkII    LEICA DG 100-400/F4.0-6.3 lens    400mm    f/6.3    1/640s    1600 ISO    +0.7 EV  




Jan 15, 2017 at 03:30 AM
bobbytan
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Check out Robin Wong's review of the Olympus 300 PRO. Lots of sample photos (with crops) taken with and w/o the MC-14 can be found towards the back end if the review:

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/01/olympus-mzuiko-300mm-f4-pro-lens-review.html?m=1

Imagemaster wrote:
If the Oly 300 f4 Pro with a TC gives better results than the P/L 100-400 at 400mm, I would be impressed.



Jan 15, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Thanks, I have seen those shots.

I would like to see comparison shots; Oly 300 Pro plus 1.4x TC versus P/L 100-400 @ 400mm, with same subject with same settings.



Jan 15, 2017 at 05:55 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


rxgolf
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


bobbytan wrote:
Check out Robin Wong's review of the Olympus 300 PRO. Lots of sample photos (with crops) taken with and w/o the MC-14 can be found towards the back end if the review:

https://robinwong.blogspot.com/2016/01/olympus-mzuiko-300mm-f4-pro-lens-review.html?m=1



Thank you for sharing the link. I have been looking at reviews and shots from both these lenses. Of course we all know that having a range of 200-800mm vs a constant 600mm may be the difference between getting a shot or not. BUT, I have seen nothing from the 100-400 here or anyplace else on the net that shows the performance that this link shows with the Oly 300mm. That is really impressive! I am not saying the 100-400 is not capable of this performance, just that I have not seen it yet!
Great choices and not an easy decision even with the Oly seeming to have a definitive advantage at 300mm! But, if you want the very best 300mm option that seems to be the Oly.
Greg



Jan 15, 2017 at 02:45 PM
Iwas joeking
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!




rxgolf wrote:
Thank you for sharing the link. I have been looking at reviews and shots from both these lenses. Of course we all know that having a range of 200-800mm vs a constant 600mm may be the difference between getting a shot or not. BUT, I have seen nothing from the 100-400 here or anyplace else on the net that shows the performance that this link shows with the Oly 300mm. That is really impressive! I am not saying the 100-400 is not capable of this performance, just that I have not seen it yet!
Great choices and not an easy decision
...Show more

The Olympus has an advantage in IQ for sure over the zoom and being faster at both 300 and with the TC on is not to overlooked either. However, the huge zoom range may be the deciding factor for some.



Jan 15, 2017 at 03:00 PM
Iwas joeking
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Resolution tests here comparing the two. The oly is a much sharper lens.
http://www.lenstip.com/476.4-Lens_review-Panasonic_Leica_DG_Vario-Elmar_100-400_mm_f_4.0-6.3_ASPH._POWER_O.I.S._Image_resolution.html

http://www.lenstip.com/478.4-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_300_mm_f_4.0_ED_IS_PRO_Image_resolution.html



Jan 15, 2017 at 03:07 PM
arbitrage
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Does Olympus have any rumoured/announced plans to make a 100-400 PRO that could come closer to the 300 PRO but still provide the versatility of a zoom??


Jan 15, 2017 at 04:51 PM
Imagemaster
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


arbitrage wrote:
Does Olympus have any rumoured/announced plans to make a 100-400 PRO that could come closer to the 300 PRO but still provide the versatility of a zoom??


Have not seen any. Like Canon has been slack in competing with Sigma & Tamron 150-600mm lenses in that price range, Oly has been slack in bringing out anything at 400mm and longer for their MFT cameras.

They should have a 100-400, 400 f5.6, and a 1.4x TC that works with more than just two of their lenses. And a 300 f4 with a TC is NOT the same as a 400 f5.6.

I certainly don't deny that the Oly 300 Pro with the TC has better IQ than the P/L at 400mm, but what does that matter for the many Oly owners that want a more versatile lens at a lower price, and more reach, with and without a TC



Jan 15, 2017 at 05:05 PM
Iwas joeking
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


I think Olympus definitely needs to up their game with the 1.4x teleconverter. If you look at the links I posted, there is a marked drop in resolution with the 1.4x. Maybe it's just the physics of lens design and smaller sensor getting in the way, but it seems reasonable to expect better performance with the TC.


Jan 15, 2017 at 05:10 PM
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Hopefully, an added benefit of an Olympus branded 100-400 PRO would be the ability to combine IBIS with the lens OIS for increased stabilization. The 12-100/4 with the E-M1 II offers up to 6.5 stops combined.


Jan 15, 2017 at 05:40 PM
DamC.Licks
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


"Like Canon has been slack in competing with Sigma & Tamron 150-600mm lenses in that price range"...
I used to think that too until I tested a 100-400 II against the best of the 150-600s the Sigma S. The Canon is sharper wide open WITH a 1.4x Extender III at 560mm that the Sigma at 600 (actually only 560)mm even stopped down to f/8.



Jan 15, 2017 at 06:02 PM
Bubble
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


mitesh wrote:
Hopefully, an added benefit of an Olympus branded 100-400 PRO would be the ability to combine IBIS with the lens OIS for increased stabilization. The 12-100/4 with the E-M1 II offers up to 6.5 stops combined.


+1 on 100-400 Pro. I think they can do it. I still like the idea of using the same camera/lens brand than mix/match. But i'm just an old school when shooting wildlife..prime only. No zoom.



Jan 15, 2017 at 06:39 PM
mitesh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Olympus 300 f4 - OMG!


Bubble wrote:
+1 on 100-400 Pro. I think they can do it. I still like the idea of using the same camera/lens brand than mix/match. But i'm just an old school when shooting wildlife..prime only. No zoom.


I used to be that way, too, Alex until I realized that there are times when versatility and focal length flexibility are more desirable than ultimate sharpness or faster aperture . I'm poorer for that knowledge, however, because now I own both zooms and primes



Jan 15, 2017 at 06:45 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password