New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

Iwas joeking
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

I was wondering how many shots people are getting with the mark 2? I seem to be getting insane numbers of images with it. Today I shot in minus 18 celsius weather for a several hours and got 3,700 images before the battery dropped below 10%!
That seems nuts to me. Another big shoot I shot 2,900 and still had around 35% left.
I'm not complaining, it's awesome but very unexpected. Today was a mixture of mechanical and electronic shutter. I have the image review turned off, IS on, but it seems crazy.
Anyone else seeing this kind of capacity?

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:00 AM
Bobg657
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

I do seem to get thousands of images, of course that only takes about 10 minutes!😀

Are you turning the unit off between shots or using power saving mode? Witm my EM1 I turned it off between shots, but the Mark 2 seems to take longer to wake so I'm experimenting still.

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:21 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

Bobg657 wrote:
I do seem to get thousands of images, of course that only takes about 10 minutes!😀

Are you turning the unit off between shots or using power saving mode? Witm my EM1 I turned it off between shots, but the Mark 2 seems to take longer to wake so I'm experimenting still.

If I don't expect to shoot for a few minutes, I turn it off. I haven't tested it, but it does seem like the wake up time is as long, or longer than a full power up, so I started to just power it off.
With the mark 1 version I needed to carry a boatload of batteries because the batteries didn't last long, now the battery life is great, but I still need multiple batteries because I'm taking a zillion shots!

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:28 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

I've had mine for almost a week now, and I've spent a number of hours taking shots, just testing focus, going through the menus, etc. (all with IS on), and I just recharged the battery for the first time today. Oh, and it still had 30% left when I took it out to recharge!

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:51 AM
Brian Wadie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

I tend to shoot mostly with sequential electronic shutter low speed and see around 2k shots / charge over a 2.3 - 3 hour total on time

If I do a lot of single shot, walk-about work with much image review and menu changing I have brought that down to 1400 on one session

That's running two batteries over about 24k retained shots (so it will an unknowable amount more)

I'm delighted with the charging speed too

that's with WIF, instant review and the LCD switched off (LCD off except when used to review images / make menu changes)

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

Olympus have raised the bar when it comes to battery life for mirrorless cameras. But it certainly pays to try and conserve battery power. The wake up time is long, so you are better off switching the camera off rather than let it go to sleep by itself. Other power saving tips would include turning Auto Review Off, WiFi set to the Airplane mode, dialing down the monitor brightness, power saving start time, etc.

Iwas joeking wrote:
If I don't expect to shoot for a few minutes, I turn it off. I haven't tested it, but it does seem like the wake up time is as long, or longer than a full power up, so I started to just power it off.
With the mark 1 version I needed to carry a boatload of batteries because the batteries didn't last long, now the battery life is great, but I still need multiple batteries because I'm taking a zillion shots!

Jan 09, 2017 at 04:19 PM
Julius
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

bobbytan wrote:
Olympus have raised the bar when it comes to battery life for mirrorless cameras. But it certainly pays to try and conserve battery power. The wake up time is long, so you are better off switching the camera off rather than let it go to sleep by itself. Other power saving tips would include turning Auto Review Off, WiFi set to the Airplane mode, dialing down the monitor brightness, power saving start time, etc.

Bobby,
I can set the image review off but can not find any airplane option in the WiFi settings. Where is it?

Jan 10, 2017 at 03:09 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

Julius wrote:
Bobby,
I can set the image review off but can not find any airplane option in the WiFi settings. Where is it?

Julius,

I'm not sure if there is an airplane mode, but I have found an option to turn Wifi off. In the menu, under the wrench symbol is a menu option for "Wifi Settings". Select that and toggle "Wifi Connect Settings" to "Off".

Jan 10, 2017 at 03:24 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

Julius, I got these "power management" tips from somewhere and it may have been a talk by a Sony Artisan! I don't know if Olympus Image Share (the Smart Phone App) may have an airplane mode feature but it was in reference to Sony cameras. Sorry!

Julius wrote:
Bobby,

Jan 10, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Julius
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Battery life with E-M1 Mark2

mitesh wrote:
Julius,

I'm not sure if there is an airplane mode, but I have found an option to turn Wifi off. In the menu, under the wrench symbol is a menu option for "Wifi Settings". Select that and toggle "Wifi Connect Settings" to "Off".

Thanks Mitesh and Bobby,
That is what I did even before I read this message, since this was the only option I found and since I doubt that I will ever use the WiFi option I turned it off.

Jan 10, 2017 at 05:20 AM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password