New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Received lens Friday night

RatX

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Received lens Friday night

Had to adjust for front focus (5). Still learning what the lens does. OOF areas are definitely interesting, especially in front of the focus point. Today, I asked my dog to pose for a few shots.
Said, give me a few different looks. She obliged. Good dog.

Jan 08, 2017 at 03:59 PM
RatX

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Received lens Friday night

Looking at these - still looks like front focus or my wobbly hands. Still not getting good result up close, but I like the look.
Work in progress.

Jan 08, 2017 at 04:03 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Received lens Friday night

Make sure you do all your AF tests within the return period, because if you can't fix the AF at all combinations of subject distance and focal length with a single value you're better off exchanging it.

You might benefit from some more controlled testing as well comparing PDAF to CDAF (live view).

Jan 08, 2017 at 04:14 PM
youie
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Received lens Friday night

What lens are we talking about here?

Jan 08, 2017 at 04:14 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Received lens Friday night

It's a 58/1.4G

Jan 08, 2017 at 04:21 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Received lens Friday night

1) front focused
2) back focused
3) front focused

This lens is a pain to hit focus, but is worth it when it does! Coming from someone that still hasn't figured this lens out! 😬

Enjoy the new lens!

Jan 08, 2017 at 05:34 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Received lens Friday night

Interesting that a person can state it's front or back focusing, when we don't actually know the focus point. Or am I missing something?

Jan 08, 2017 at 05:47 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Received lens Friday night

If he was attempting to get the eyes in focus... then yes?... maybe I'm missing something? Like I said- my comment was more how much of a pain this lens is to nail focus, and not critical. But typically you try to get the eyes in focus...

Charles Loy wrote:
Interesting that a person can state it's front or back focusing, when we don't actually know the focus point. Or am I missing something?

Jan 08, 2017 at 05:57 PM
JPuckettPhoto
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Received lens Friday night

youie wrote:
What lens are we talking about here?

Took the third reply for someone to ask the vital question.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:30 PM
RatX

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Received lens Friday night

Thanks for the input. I was beginning to wonder about my ability to focus. This lens is not at all like my old 50 1.4 D.

And, yes, when the 58 works, it works very well.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:50 PM
RatX

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Received lens Friday night

Sorry. I was excited about the lens because it rendered better than I expected.

I was focusing on the right eye. My post should have had more info. It's not like my 85 1.4 D or my Zeiss 25 2.0, yet both give nice rendering wide open. Lens is sharp at 2.2 and above. It's 1.4 and 1.6 that give me trouble. I get much better results focusing 10 feet and farther.

These photos of my lovely dog were taken using single focus point. I have been getting better results with the 58 1.4 on my D4S with group or auto than I do with single focus point. I might need to get the camera calibrated or I need to work more with the lens.

I have 30 days and taking lens on trip to NYC and will give it a work out.

Jan 08, 2017 at 07:05 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Received lens Friday night

Looks great for the first few! Enjoy the lens!

RatX wrote:
Thanks for the input. I was beginning to wonder about my ability to focus. This lens is not at all like my old 50 1.4 D.

And, yes, when the 58 works, it works very well.

Jan 08, 2017 at 10:42 PM
mysh
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Received lens Friday night

This lens can be extremely frustrating but when it comes together it really shines.

Jan 09, 2017 at 12:15 AM
RatX

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Received lens Friday night

and mysh

This lens has me excited about taking photos. Have gone to manual focusing when time permits and getting great results. Sure wish Nikon had focus assist like my Sony. Will be keeping this lens.

Jan 10, 2017 at 06:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Received lens Friday night

DOF is thin so a dog as your subject is hard to assess focus because even a slight movement of your dog can make a focus hit into a miss. I would verify focus on static subjects then you'll be all set!

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:38 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Received lens Friday night

The 58/1.4 G is an awesome lens Calibrating it carefully will give you great results. This lens quite often will require fair amount of fine tune correction. My lens required +20, and I sent it in to Nikon, and the correction now is +15 both on my D750 and D810. According the tech manager at Nikon this is quite normal.

Do check both f/1.4 and f/2.8 as there is a focus shift moving backwards as you close the lens down. I fine tuned at f/1.4 and checked at f/2.8 and tweaked it from there.

Once you have calibrated the 58/1.4, try the face/eye AF and see how it works with the D4S. With the D750 and D810 it works amazingly well

Typically I have only used the AF-C Single with AF back button, as I usually don't trust AF points being selected automatically. Although the AF points detecting and showing in the OVF are different parts of the face, the face and eye detection works really well.

For shots where I think face/eye detection is not appropriate, I revert to AF-C single point with the back button. I keep my finger on the button, with the narrow DOF, will allow for minor subject movement including myself.

Have fun !!!

Jan 11, 2017 at 01:15 AM
RatX

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Received lens Friday night

Thanks for the positive comments and input. The lens renders nicely. Plan to try it on my A7M2 to see how it works with focus assist. Hope the IBIS helps.

+7 seemed to fix the front focus - for most shots (scratching head). Will try at 2.8 and face detect as you suggest, Charles. Really enjoying this lens. Most fun I have had in a while. Down to only this lens, 70-200 v2, and a beat up 180 2.8. Lent (gave) my 50 1.4 D to someone who wanted to try primes, but was not economically ready to do so at this time.
My Sony has to be content with only the Basis 25. I seem to be developing immunity to GAS - or getting smarter?.

Jan 12, 2017 at 08:02 PM
Bohemien
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Received lens Friday night

There is no cure from GAS...

When used wide open, unlike any of my other lenses, this lens focuses better over some distance. Try it with your subject at least 3m away. Also, use the central focus point only. This lens has a curved plane of focus (this has been stated in several reviews) which results in problems with the outer focus points or AF modes where the camera selects the point (when shooting wide open).

Enjoy the 58G, it's a spectacular lens!

Markus

Jan 13, 2017 at 01:42 AM
RatX

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Received lens Friday night

Glad I was not going nuts (was about to send my camera in for calibration). Your experience with close focus mirrors mine. Moving the focus point leads to odd results, but using center or auto works fine. When close focus works, wow. This lens renders like no other I have had. I thought the focal length would be too long for city shooting, but it was perfect - unlike my 85 that was too long or my 50 that was blah. Having fun again. That's a good thing.

Jan 17, 2017 at 06:40 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.