New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Repair or Replace?

childan

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Repair or Replace?

I broke my 24-105 f4 lens the other day. I think something on the focusing is broken. I can't zoom in or out all the way. it stops after like 20mm.

The question is to repair it or replace it. I can get it brand new for $600. i only talked to one local company (Dallas) about it and they estimated $300. I really don't want to send it in to Canon to get an estimate. Do any of you have recommendations of places to get it repaired? Its hard to spend half of the cost of a new lens just to repair an older lens. Any advice?

Jan 07, 2017 at 04:10 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Repair or Replace?

You will find them often on the Buy and Sell forum used, but in good shape, for very affordable costs. If you don't want to repair, buy used for sure, no need to buy new.

Jan 07, 2017 at 04:12 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Repair or Replace?

I’ve owned three copies of this lens over 6 years. None of them were ever as sharp as or focused as accurately as the SIGMA version (link below) which I've had for over a year now and shot well over 12,000 images with it. I've even tested it against the new 2017 version which Canon just released. Again, I find the SIGMA to be better in every way.

SIGMA 24-105

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:04 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Repair or Replace?

I see one with recent date code listed right now on the B/S board from a high-feedback member for $475. I don't think I'd bother to pay for the repair. I'd just get another lens.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:16 PM
sfgumbo2

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Repair or Replace?

I had my Canon 85 do the same thing and I got it repaired at Archinal Camera Repair in Richardson for, I believe, around $100.00. They are good people to work with.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:28 PM
childan

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Repair or Replace?

These are all great points. With the cost offered to me, i'd rather not have to deal with getting it repaired and buy used or new.

@Cphoto1954, I have seen and looked into that lens. It looks like a very good lens. I was wanting to keep the cost down seeing i don't have as much time to take pictures these days (hobby photographer photographer with 2 kids under 3). I will keep that as an option though. Thanks!

@ sfgumbo2, Archinal is the company I reached out to first and they said labor alone would be $250 + cost of parts. Its really so expensive for a relatively cheap lens.

What do you think about the 24-70 f4. I heard this one is really sharp. I wouldn't get the range but i heard it's macro is stunning for the type of lens it is.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:36 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Repair or Replace?

I have the 24-70 4L IS and, indeed, it's a very good lens. Compared to my circa 2006 24-105 4L, they're about the same in terms of sharpness center frame--very sharp--but the 24-70 is better in corners, has a quasi-macro range, has much lower barreling at the wide end and way less less CA, light falloff and flaring. With that said, I prefer the 24-105 most of the time due to the versatility of the range. Light falloff, CA and barreling are easy to fix in PP and flare is only a problem with sunsets.

Jan 08, 2017 at 01:25 AM
childan

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Repair or Replace?

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I ended up getting a used 24-105 for $475 which is probably the one that @Mitesh mentioned.

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:23 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Repair or Replace?

I bet you could get a little cash for your lens as-is!

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.