end

Archive 2017 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

Bruce n Philly wrote:
Your NAS may be bad.

Are you "certifying" your disks outside of the unit? Pull one of your troubled drives and do reformatting in your PC or in an external caddy? The NAS box is another variable here.

Do you know anyone with a spare NAS you can try the drive in?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

The one drive that went "bad" yesterday without any use passed the overnight certification so back to the original 3 bad drives. The older drive that passed Verify, failed Certify so I'm going to RMA the 3 drives through Toshiba.

I think I will get a single or double drive dock/caddy and check with that in the future. However, my SoftRaid software is only licensed for use with the Thunderbays and it costs extra for a full version to use with other enclosures/docks. The SoftRaid version I have is included with the purchase of the ThunderBays.

I was certifying in the ThunderBay unit. I still am worried the unit has issues but OWC doesn't seem to think so (no surprise at that) and it is out of warranty as of Nov 2016 so we shall see.

Plan now is RMA the 3 Toshibas. Buy 4 WD Reds or 4 HGST Deskstar Raid drives. Wait to see if more Toshiba's fail. If so I will swap over to all the Reds or HGSTs. Right now I have no spare drive to swap but I have mutliple backups so not too worried. Including an offsite backup which is only out of date by 2.5 weeks right now. But I have that 2.5 weeks in 3 other places (laptop, external I travelled with and the ThunderBay Mini clone).

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:24 PM
aubsxc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

GOVA wrote:
Don't mean to start any debate now, but RAID w/out dedicated controller is not RAID at all.

Beg to differ, but it is quite possible, and even preferred under certain circumstances, to create RAID arrays without a dedicated controller. As an example, Oracle offers ZFS as part of their OS solution that provides enterprise grade storage and data protection without using dedicated controllers. My home servers use software RAID arrays built around ZFS that offers scalability, security and price that is unmatched by anything I can get with conventional Raid-on-chip solutions.

Jan 12, 2017 at 02:30 PM
Chris Court
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

Sounds to me like your ThunderBay may be faulty. That many drive issues in such a short timespan is statistically highly unlikely without other factors being involved.

I find an external USB3 drive dock similar to this to be an invaluable accessory for testing new drives. It will also give you a different interface to the drives, eliminating another potential trouble area.

C

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:10 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

GOVA wrote:
After seeing your "definition" of RAID, I have to stop our debate now. My dignity will suffer too much. Sorry.

Pompous much?

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:28 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

Chris Court wrote:
Sounds to me like your ThunderBay may be faulty. That many drive issues in such a short timespan is statistically highly unlikely without other factors being involved.
C

I suspect that also. The one time i had weirdness like this, with drives failing that then read as OK on intensive checking, it was actually a failing PSU in the host computer that was causing the drives to "brown out" intermittently.

Jan 12, 2017 at 04:31 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

It may seem trivial, but check that the cooling fan on the ThunderBay is operating.

Jan 14, 2017 at 02:42 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

Chris Court wrote:

I find an external USB3 drive dock similar to this to be an invaluable accessory for testing new drives. It will also give you a different interface to the drives, eliminating another potential trouble area.

C

I have a dock like that in my cart to buy along with my new drives. Will be making my final decision on which drives to buy today.

I think I will go with HGST DeskStar 4TB as Amazon.ca won't let me order more than one WD Red 4TB at a time (must be a hot commodity) and HGST is owned by WD anyways. Also HGST has the lowest failure rates at BackBlaze over all their years of running tests.

My version of SoftRaid only works with my ThunderBay (and came with the enclosure) so I can't use it to test drives with a USB3 dock.

Does Apple's Disk Utility have a function that can thoroughly test a drive or do I need some other software? I could upgrade my SoftRaid to the full version to use with the USB 3 dock.

Jan 14, 2017 at 09:29 AM
Chris Court
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

I'm in the same boat, stuck with the ThunderBay-specific version of SoftRaid, but in my case – ThunderBay apparently working as it should – that's not a huge issue.

Disk Utility does allow you to do a "Security Erase," which I believe writes 0s to every sector. That's probably the closest thing that it offers to the SoftRaid disk certification, although without the same level of fault reporting.

C

Jan 14, 2017 at 10:29 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

Just a small update and a big complaint against Toshiba in general....

I am having a nightmare of a time with Toshiba and getting an RMA for my three bad drives....

The issue stems from me buying the drives from Amazon.com (US site) but live in Canada. Toshiba Canada is saying they can't do the RMA because bought in the US and they are also useless and say they don't have those drives to even send a replacement. Toshiba US has escalated the RMA but their issue is their website for RMA only accepts US addresses..... Never will I buy a Toshiba HD again....if I ever get the 3 drives replaced they will sit around for emergency backup and that is it. HGST and WD for me going forward.

I've ordered two 4TB HGST RAID drives for now. Will add more of those as I need in the future or else WD Reds....however Amazon.ca restricts WD Reds to one drive per purchase so I went for the HGST instead to avoid that hassle.

Jan 20, 2017 at 08:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Frustrated with disk failures in my RAID....please help

I'm using traditional NAS with 10GbE ports, so I don't know about the Mac Thunderbowls stuff. I prefer to use enterprise capacity drives such as the Seagate or HGST 10TB helium drives for primary data. I use 8TB WD RED (helium) for the backup set. I'm long done with using drives not designed for arrays and I'm a big fan of the helium filled drives.

EBH

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:57 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.