FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2017 · Most impractical exotic lens

M. Best
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Most impractical exotic lens

I think I'd go with a TSE lens. I've wanted one myself but it's last on my list of things to get. It would force me to use a tripod as well as be more creative with my shots.
Actually, maybe it should be first on my list 😆

Jan 07, 2017 at 06:59 PM
daleg
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Most impractical exotic lens

and if the 200/1.8 needs service? you'd have an oversized, very expensive paperweight. same with the 50/1.0. exotic bricks don't do much for this photog. just sayin'. I have made a point of discussing both of those "bucket list" lenses with folks who service and repair them - the overwhelming consensus? avoid them - as risks seems to significantly exceed rewards. Then again, without IS, there's less to break - so, as many attest, ymmv...

as far as "wow" factors, the 8-15/4L, 11-24/4L and MP-E 65mm have already been mentioned. don't forget you can "de-fish" the 8-15mm, and don't dismiss the 11-24mm - it's amazing. can't speak to the mp-e.

another lens - a bit less exotic - the 100-400mm IS II, with its 3.7' MFD is a marvelously practical lens (probably disqualifies its selection) - a lens that I'm constantly finding new ways to use. and another curiosity that may be worth a look - the 28-300mm L IS with its 2.3' MFD at all focal lengths - an underappreciated hulking beast that can substitute for a bag full of primes - with little, if any, loss of IQ. a lens that is fun to mount on a monopod and take for a long walk?

or - revert to your initial instinct - the 200/2. but it might become your favorite lens - and imagine hauling it to every shoot (what a terrible challenge!).

good luck - with your relatively pleasant challenge! and enjoy & report back.

dale

Jan 08, 2017 at 03:07 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Most impractical exotic lens

I would vote for the canon ef 8-15mm
while the fish-eye effect is usable at 14-15mm, I found the wider ranges a one-shot-giggle thing - hence kept the ef 15mm and dished the 8-15.
surprised seeing people mentioning the tse lenses and the mp macro lens as impractical - they are specialized tools, just the super-teles. The mp comes as the most specialized/specific IMO

the 8-15 is a jack-of-all-trades, master of none in the UWA's fish-eye lens world

Jan 08, 2017 at 07:00 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Most impractical exotic lens

I've got an unusual lens in the Hartblei (Ukrainian) Super Rotator (tilt/shift) 65mm f/3.5 lens, in Canon EF mount (no electronics).

After you have all the TSE lenses, this is one place to go!

Jan 08, 2017 at 07:56 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Most impractical exotic lens

How does that one perform?

Jan 08, 2017 at 08:13 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Most impractical exotic lens

Me,with the 65mm?

It has 10 degrees of shift and 10 of tilt (both rotated to any angle). It has great resolution, but only moderate contrast and control of veiling flare if bright light source is on front element. Responds very well to LR enhancements with Contrast, Clarity, and Dehaze controls. Gives a nice medium format sort of look. Heavy lens with metal body and controls.

Jan 09, 2017 at 12:51 AM
panicatnabisco
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Most impractical exotic lens

I'd probably pick up a canon cinema prime and shoot with those. F1 photog Vladimir Rys uses a pair for pit lane and portraits and they look stunning

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:02 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Most impractical exotic lens

I say the benchmark exotic is the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 280/4, perhaps the best telephoto ever made. It fits the budget, and fits EOS mount with any R/EF adapter. Being a manual lens with stable demand, you can enjoy it with no financial loss—if you don't drop it. Image taken with 1Ds, AT280 and studio lights:

Edited on Jan 09, 2017 at 06:45 AM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2017 at 02:55 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Most impractical exotic lens

rico wrote:
I say the benchmark exotic is the Leica Apo-Telyt-R 240/4, perhaps the best telephoto ever made.

Wow.

Just curious, by what metrics is it considered the best?

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:34 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Most impractical exotic lens

@Liquidstone, AT280 gets high marks for resolution, being close to diffraction-limited wide open. The published MTF is quite impressive and distortion stays under 1%. Not bad for 7 elements in 1993, although the latest Canikon 20-element monsters with fluorite should be performing similarly (with AF and IS). At a certain point, lens designers are trading one technical deficiency for another: weight, bokeh, field flatness, vignetting, CA, manufacturing variation, serviceability. We consumers have to pick something that seems to do the job and, as you know, there are plenty of fine telephoto options. Most of them are mainsteam and, if exotic, are exotic only in price!

Oddly, my favorite tele these days is the Rokinon 135/2: ridiculously cheap at $400 or so, insane optical performance, FL more applicable to studio. Hard to call it exotic, though.

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:55 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Most impractical exotic lens

Thanks for the info. Is its optics better than, say, a 300 2.8 IS II?

Jan 09, 2017 at 04:53 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Most impractical exotic lens

@Liquidstone, I'm interested to hear an authoritative opinion from an owner of both lenses (surely a small optical elite). My guess is they are equivalent, but have different features. I expect the AT280 to have superior contrast, better manual-focus ergnomics, inferior correction of lateral color, inferior bokeh at same apertures. The modern shooter really wants things like AF, IS, EXIF, magnesium construction, so Canon is the natural choice. I have those kind of lenses, too.

Jan 09, 2017 at 05:47 AM
gheller
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Most impractical exotic lens

Still contemplating what to get. I kind of like the idea of the 8-15... could actually use it occasionally for my weddings (which may defeat this whole exercise), but still a lens to consider

greg

Jan 09, 2017 at 06:57 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Most impractical exotic lens

Which island are you on? Can you get to some dark skies? How about a telescope and mount so you can try some astrophotography?

Just trying to think out of the box. Big commitment though.

Mark

Jan 09, 2017 at 08:21 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Most impractical exotic lens

50/1.0L FTW.

Jan 11, 2017 at 02:06 PM
Macrogirl

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Most impractical exotic lens

I have the Mp-e 65mm and LOVE it. I am definitely not bored of it - I got it in April. It's unlike any other lens and really opens up new perspectives. I have not used it outside yet because of work commitments, but hopefully will this spring in our local butterfly farm and the beach. So far the thrill has been to find many interesting objects to photograph and take back to my studio - shells, moss, cocoons, minerals, fungi, flowers, feathers, vegetables... I could go on and on. But you will need a great flash and/or stacking software.

Next on my list is the T/S 90mm (I love macro as you can see from my name...)

Jan 11, 2017 at 03:10 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Most impractical exotic lens

Try a tilt shift lens of your choice

Jan 11, 2017 at 03:23 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Most impractical exotic lens

Michael White wrote:
Try a tilt shift lens of your choice

Exotic ? Yes. Impractical ? No.

Jan 11, 2017 at 03:40 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Most impractical exotic lens

When I think of Exotic, I think of the Canon 5200mm lens. Its not only exotic, but quite impractical. Its mounted on rails.

https://youtu.be/IRq18WpQZC0

Then there is my 2 element lens from a WWII B25 Bomber that would make a good front element.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-MhpR9Gw/0/XL/lens%20front%20element-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-4rMPwGQ/0/XL/scanning%20lens%20for%20B-25%20Bomber_0009-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-jtdmZ4H/0/M/scanning%20lens%20for%20B-25%20Bomber_0010-M.jpg

Jan 12, 2017 at 01:28 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Most impractical exotic lens

scalesusa wrote:
When I think of Exotic, I think of the Canon 5200mm lens. Its not only exotic, but quite impractical. Its mounted on rails.

https://youtu.be/IRq18WpQZC0

Then there is my 2 element lens from a WWII B25 Bomber that would make a good front element.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-MhpR9Gw/0/XL/lens%20front%20element-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-4rMPwGQ/0/XL/scanning%20lens%20for%20B-25%20Bomber_0009-XL.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Vintage-Stuff/Old-Lenses/i-jtdmZ4H/0/M/scanning%20lens%20for%20B-25%20Bomber_0010-M.jpg

Hmmmm, let me compute.... that's about 350 mm diameter. At f/5.6, that would yield about 2000 mm focal length. As is, that "magnifying glass" should focus noon sunlight to interesting temperatures.

Jan 12, 2017 at 03:20 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.