FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Carry-on woes

chez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Carry-on woes

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Yeah. I won't be traveling on vietnam air. Anything is possible, though I haven't heard of any other airline doing this

Well, you asked for advice and I gave you some real world experience. I've traveled a lot and that was the first time I see weighing everything a person is carrying on. I'm just telling you to plan ahead just in case your carryon is rejected...what would you do. It's OK to bury your head into the sand...but personally I'd have a plan.

Jan 07, 2017 at 11:20 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Carry-on woes

chez wrote:
Well, you asked for advice and I gave you some real world experience. I've traveled a lot and that was the first time I see weighing everything a person is carrying on. I'm just telling you to plan ahead just in case your carryon is rejected...what would you do. It's OK to bury your head into the sand...but personally I'd have a plan.

Yes, working on it...

Jan 07, 2017 at 11:34 PM
Aztatlan
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Carry-on woes

There is no magic bullet on this issue, short of simply carrying less gear. Some airlines don't care, some have more lenient policies, and some enforce them rigidly. I can say for certain that in Australia, Jetstar and Tiger Air both enforce their 7kg limit to the gram, although Tiger allow you to buy extra carry on with your ticket (12kg, I believe.) Not sure if you are flying either airline on your trip but I can say that you will almost certainly have your carry on weighed if you do.

Air NZ in my experience do not weigh carry on flights coming into the country (that is, flying from Sydney to NZ on Air NZ my carry on has never been weighed) but they do weigh and enforce the limit on both domestic flights within NZ and international flights leaving NZ.

Your options are:

- Run the risk; be prepared to check something if caught
- Buy a small pelican case to go inside your suitcase, check some items in advance
- Fly in a higher class or buy two economy tickets to gain extra luggage
- Bring less gear
- Bring a lighter mirrorless kit (eg Sony A7 series)

Personally I experience the same dilemma regularly. When I fly with my wife it isn't an issue as she carrys very little on, so I can take advantage of her unused allowance but when I travel solo it's hard to be under 7kg. Where possible I fly premium classes, purchase extra carry on if an airline allows it, and I try and avoid airlines who I know are very likely to enforce the limits.

Jan 08, 2017 at 03:37 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Carry-on woes

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Yeah. I won't be traveling on vietnam air. Anything is possible, though I haven't heard of any other airline doing this

Last time I checked the budget Euro airlines charge you for air usage on board, so I would not be surprised. But there is a creative solution for everything I guess

Jan 08, 2017 at 08:09 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Carry-on woes

Aztatlan wrote:
There is no magic bullet on this issue, short of simply carrying less gear. Some airlines don't care, some have more lenient policies, and some enforce them rigidly. I can say for certain that in Australia, Jetstar and Tiger Air both enforce their 7kg limit to the gram, although Tiger allow you to buy extra carry on with your ticket (12kg, I believe.) Not sure if you are flying either airline on your trip but I can say that you will almost certainly have your carry on weighed if you do.

Air NZ in my experience do not weigh carry
...Show more

I'm flying into Queenstown which has a stop on Auckland on the way in... hopefully no issues on the final leg of that journey!

Apart from that, my flights are with Air Canada, United and Virgin Australia. I think AC+United are completely fine, but Virgin appears to be somewhat strict according to their site?

How does the process actually work - if I run into an issue at the gate, how do I go about actually checking something or some things? I can't just throw a random item for someone to bring, but my suitcase would have already been checked/loaded on to the plane?

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:10 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Carry-on woes

You may get turned back by TSA at the security line if you are an obvious offender. Or an airline employee may flag you and ask you to check in at the gate, at which point they take your luggage from you and walk it down to the tarmac through a side door on the jetway. Most airlines will not charge you extra in the latter case, but you are handing your lenses to the baggage handlers.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:46 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Carry-on woes

GroovyGeek wrote:
Last time I checked the budget Euro airlines charge you for air usage on board, so I would not be surprised. But there is a creative solution for everything I guess

http://images.halloweencostumes.com/products/4425/1-1/adult-fat-suit-costume.jpg

NOW.. This is the most hilarious picture!!!

Jan 08, 2017 at 11:44 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Carry-on woes

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
NOW.. This is the most hilarious picture!!!

What are they going to do, discriminate agianst you?

Jan 08, 2017 at 11:49 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Carry-on woes

Kaitlyn,

1. If you have not ticketed yet, then it would be wise to have the ticket for the entire trip to the destination on one ticket. Like, TORONTO-LA-AUKLAND-QUEENSTOWM. That way after you check-in from Toronto, you will get the luggages at your detonation. Trouble comes in for the domestic flight. I was flying from Auckland to Christchurch on a cheap flight, JetStar?, they were giving me all kinds problem. BTW, JetStar is notoriously bad in dealing with carry ons.

2. In case your checked bag gets overweight... they will charge you an extra hefty $, sometimes $100 extra. My advise is that find not-that-heavy duffle bag and collapse it. Put inside your regular bad side pocket. At the airport, when the regular bag gets overweight, then you can take this duffle bag out and put all the clothes, soft stuff, into that bag and check-in. They charge about $35 for the second bag.

3. If you have business class, then they allow two checked ins. So.. go on the business class!!

4. Best thing: make sure your bags are packed far in advance. And as the days are passing by, you should start taking things that are not100% necessary to take along..out of the luggage.

I am not sure if I gave you any helpful advice.. but.. my thought.

Take care.

Jan 09, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Carry-on woes

Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Kaitlyn,

1. If you have not ticketed yet, then it would be wise to have the ticket for the entire trip to the destination on one ticket. Like, TORONTO-LA-AUKLAND-QUEENSTOWM. That way after you check-in from Toronto, you will get the luggages at your detonation. Trouble comes in for the domestic flight. I was flying from Auckland to Christchurch on a cheap flight, JetStar?, they were giving me all kinds problem. BTW, JetStar is notoriously bad in dealing with carry ons.

2. In case your checked bag gets overweight... they will charge you an extra hefty $, sometimes $100 extra. My
...Show more

Yes my flight to queensland, for example, is booked under 1 ticket I believe.

But my issue is not checked luggage - I will comfortably meet any luggage restrictions (but I think they are all 23kg/50lbs). It;'s the carry-on I am concerned about. And I have enough items I don't want to check because I've heard enough horror stories about damage and theft (I'm not even sure which is worse...)

Jan 09, 2017 at 12:34 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Carry-on woes

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Yes my flight to queensland, for example, is booked under 1 ticket I believe.

But my issue is not checked luggage - I will comfortably meet any luggage restrictions (but I think they are all 23kg/50lbs). It;'s the carry-on I am concerned about. And I have enough items I don't want to check because I've heard enough horror stories about damage and theft (I'm not even sure which is worse...)

Get insurance.

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:22 AM
bflood
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Carry-on woes

It's pretty clear that the collective experience in this conversation indicates that you're going to have to find a way to live within the 15 lb weight limit. It looks to me like your camera gear would stay within that limit, and the drone & controller plus batteries probably would, too, but no way both sets of gear are going to meet the 15 lb limit.

I understand your reluctance to turn over either set of equipment to airport baggage smashing systems, so you obviously need other ways to cope.

One option is to ship the gear separately. I suspect you could get some pretty accurate estimates of shipping costs and timeframes online - you might just find that the total cost for all shipping from home to AUS, AUS to NZ, and NZ to home might be around the cost of the drone itself, so - what about buying a drone (probably of lesser size/capability in AUS? Might be the cheaper option, and it probably would eliminate the airline/weight problem.

Pockets have been suggested and could well work. But carrying a jacket on a trip to warm weather would kind of stand out and maybe draw unwanted attention at the gate. A vest could be helpful, and a fisherman's vest from a local sporting goods store with its many pockets might work. The pockets are apt to be small, but if the batteries all fit in them, you can tell the airline folks that it's the way you comply with the requirement to not put lithium, batteries in a checked bag. But another garment might work better.

Carrying a warm jacket of some sort to warm weather could stand out too much, but a raincoat won't. I think you'll find that raincoats at outdoor sports stores are likely to have decent size pockets on the sides, and probably have pockets on the inside to protect your belongings from the wet. Nothing unusual about carrying a raincoat of a vacation, and I expect it wouldn't get much attention.

By the way, all this presupposes that you are travelling alone. Obviously, a companion's 15 lb allowance for a carryon would solve the problem. But if there's no companion, or if that companion is so rude as to use the carryon limit themselves, then you're back to square one.

Jan 09, 2017 at 05:02 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Carry-on woes

bflood wrote:
It's pretty clear that the collective experience in this conversation indicates that you're going to have to find a way to live within the 15 lb weight limit. It looks to me like your camera gear would stay within that limit, and the drone & controller plus batteries probably would, too, but no way both sets of gear are going to meet the 15 lb limit.

I understand your reluctance to turn over either set of equipment to airport baggage smashing systems, so you obviously need other ways to cope.

One option is to ship the gear separately. I suspect you could
...Show more

Yep, basically a good summary

I'll have some work to do to make it all work!

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:58 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Carry-on woes

I've never had an issue with checking camera gear -- I just pack it tightly in the center of the suitcase. Remember that pretty much all camera gear gets shipped halfway around the world on a boat, plane and/or truck before it reaches you anyway. If it concerns you, then buy a pelican case to check. Problem solved!

Jan 19, 2017 at 08:49 PM
EGrav
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Carry-on woes

mdude85 wrote:
I've never had an issue with checking camera gear -- I just pack it tightly in the center of the suitcase. Remember that pretty much all camera gear gets shipped halfway around the world on a boat, plane and/or truck before it reaches you anyway. If it concerns you, then buy a pelican case to check. Problem solved!

Theft is more of a risk than damage. You can pack it to prevent damage (for the most part). The thieves will be appreciative that the camera gear is undamaged.

Jan 19, 2017 at 09:00 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Carry-on woes

I have only been weighed one time for a flight from Guam to Palau in all my decades of air travel. What matters is how your carry-on looks to the people at the gate and whether it will fit in the overhead and or under the seat in front of yours.

I take a international qualifying 26 liter photo backpack when space is at a premium as with very small commuter type planes (Bombardier Q400, etc.) and otherwise use a 32 liter size backpack. If I need to take more on board the plane than will fit in the backpack I will wear a Domke Photographer's Jacket with it many large pockets as it is a lot less conspicuous than a vest and will hold two cameras, a 70-200mm, flash, and other items easily.

Another option that I am exploring is to have a personal piece of luggage which must fit under the seat in front of you, which is the only size limitation. With most planes that means a bag that is smaller than 17 x 20 x 9 inches deep. The depth below the seats is commonly 17 inches.

One bag I am considering for that use is the Tamrac Nagano 16L packpack at 17.25 x 9.75 x 5.5, though my current Kiboko backpack at 17 x 12.5 x 5.75 would also quality. I wheel on the 32L or 26L backpack anyway using a $20 folding cart and so having a "personal" carry-on that holds a netbook and additional camera gear is not going to be a problem with the majority of major airlines.

A big advantage of this approach for me is lightening my load. On my last trip with the 500mm f/4 and two cameras and assorted lenses my Bataflae 32L weighed over 36 pounds. Having that 36 pounds split between two bags would have been a blessing for my back.

There are decided advantages to using the same airline so as to get frequent flyer status and this often applies to "partner" airline of another company. With this I get early boarding and have less problems with sorting out my gear in the overhead bin. I have also paid for a premium coach seat on Asian air carriers to get early boarding and to be able to take more in terms of carry-on onto the plane.

I have also started to hand carry my tripod sans ballhead or gimbal onto the plane as well. It does not count as a piece of carry-on or personal luggage. On commercial jets there is enough depth in the overhead bin for a 22 inch or shorter tripod to fit in perpendicular to the opening for the bin and so take very little space and no worries about it getting scrunched by a suitcase crammed into the same bin.

If I have a last leg with no overhead bin for my gear I will still wait and gate check the photo backpack on the tarmac as this way it is not out of my sight with TSA or the baggage handlers and it is last on the plane and first off when the plane lands.

I have zero confidence of any checked luggage making it to my destination intact based on my own experiences with the airlines. Anything I need at the other end is on my person or in my carry-on bags.

Something to note is that my full frame cameras and lenses and flash barely fit in a 32 liter backpack. My wife fits the equivalent gear but Olympus MFT Pro cameras and lenses kit into a 18 liter backpack and her kit weighs half as much as mine.

In terms of checked gear I often did that with my underwater photo equipment and it was in Pelican type cases that I could stand on without them flexing. American Airlines managed to completely crush one of these cases and destroy it completely. Fortunately it was on the return journey or my trip would have been destroyed as well. I have had American Airlines lose my baggage 7 times over the years and again it was on the return leg so I could afford to wait a week for them to locate the bags and deliver them to my house.

Theft is real and Miami airport is infamous among travel agents for having clients luggage pilfered and then there was the more than two dozen TSA people at New Orleans airport that were stealing items from the luggage they were inspecting. As of 2012 according to ABC News the TSA had fired more than 400 employees for stealing from baggage.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/top-20-airports-tsa-theft/story?id=17537887

Jan 20, 2017 at 09:00 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Carry-on woes

EGrav wrote:
Theft is more of a risk than damage. You can pack it to prevent damage (for the most part). The thieves will be appreciative that the camera gear is undamaged.

I think damage is far more common than theft. From what I've read, in the U.S. about 25,000 thefts were reported, compared with about 2 million incidents of damaged luggage. This, of course, makes sense, because a typical bag in a major airport gets pushed, shoved and tossed far more than it gets inspected by an airport employee.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password