Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Carry-on woes
  
 
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carry-on woes


I've been asking SO many questions lately... just want to really thank everyone who has helped me so much!


I recently freaked out over carry-on restrictions during my recent trip to Japan+southeast Asia. Turns out didn't have a problem at all.

I am traveling again, this time to AUS+NZ and am starting to perhaps get even more worried. It looks like Air New Zealand, for example, has a 7kg (I am used to 10kg) limit AND I've heard plenty of stories in my quick searches that they DO weigh bags. If I'm not mistaken, this is similar with Australia.

Aus might be hard since it won't exactly be cold, I might be able to do something like loading up my jacket for new zealand... maybe.

I'll be carrying different things this time, camera gear, drone (+ extra batteries that need to be carried on board), laptop.

This will certainly push the limits. Any advice? I've never checked in gear besides my tripod and am concerned about putting anything in checked luggage - both damage and theft. And if I got something like a hard case... well, that's an option but I plan to be out hiking and such and this would effectively be totally unusable except for purely aircraft transport.

I believe I'd have this gear:
- Canon 5D Mark IV
- 16-35 F4L IS
- 100-400 II IS
- MAYBE another lens, something like 24-105 or 24-70
- DJI Mavic + controller
- 3 mavic batteries total

I'd estimate this total weight to be about ~23-25lb

I'll have my backpack, a separate tote which will carry my laptop + misc purse items. I could get creative and put at least one item from above in here, plus whatever I can on my person depending on what I am wearing (but bringing a winter coat to an airport in Australia is.. suspicious?

Any ideas what I can/should do? One viable option is to ship at least something separately, but I worry about what the cost for this might be plus I'll need to ship it at least 3 times (Canada->NZ->Aus->Canada) and ideally don't want to be without it for too long!



Jan 07, 2017 at 04:19 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carry-on woes



I believe that this posting should belong to some other forums.






Jan 07, 2017 at 04:32 AM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carry-on woes


Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
Hello Kathy,

I believe that this posting should belong to some other forums.



Wasn't sure where to put it. I thought it definitely fell under a "landscape photographer" category, but where do you think it fits better?



Jan 07, 2017 at 04:34 AM
Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Wasn't sure where to put it. I thought it definitely fell under a "landscape photographer" category, but where do you think it fits better?


I think you can try the forum "Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups".

BTW, Aus and NZ are not that cold this time of the year. Also from my experience, their carry-on restrictions are rather tough. They even check if you have batteries in the carry-on bags. I had to take all camera batteries out and put them into the checked luggage. Kind of very unpleasant. However, it all depends on who is in charge of at the counter.

Have a great time there!!

Kee
(Sorry that I misspelled your name.)





Jan 07, 2017 at 04:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carry-on woes


moved!


Jan 07, 2017 at 04:44 AM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carry-on woes


For what it is worth, 4 years ago I traveled to NZ with an F-stop Loka fully loaded - D800, 14-24, 70-200, nifty fifty, Series 2 tripod. Never had a problem, either on the LAX-AUK leg or on the internal flight to Christchurch. Admittedly that was four years ago. The only airline that has ever weighed my carry-on was Air France, that was 5 months ago. I don't travel that much though.

The easiest thing you can do is to have a neck strap handy, if you see them measuring carry-ons slap on the 100-400 on the camera and hang around your neck (and pray that the line is not too long and your neck gives in before you go through luggage check. And leave that third zoom at home, mid-range zooms have no business on a landscape shoot :-)



Jan 07, 2017 at 05:26 AM
Aztatlan
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carry-on woes


Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
They even check if you have batteries in the carry-on bags. I had to take all camera batteries out and put them into the checked luggage.


This is very strange. Airline regulations are typically the exact opposite of this - that lithium batteries (ie camera batteries) must travel only in carry on and they are not allowed to go in checked luggage.



Jan 07, 2017 at 09:00 AM
Keith B.
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carry-on woes


Some have suggested a generously pocketed vest, possibly a photographer-specific vest, that can be loaded up with heavy lenses while checking in.


Jan 07, 2017 at 09:24 AM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carry-on woes


Kee Woo Rhee wrote:
I think you can try the forum "Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups".

BTW, Aus and NZ are not that cold this time of the year. Also from my experience, their carry-on restrictions are rather tough. They even check if you have batteries in the carry-on bags. I had to take all camera batteries out and put them into the checked luggage. Kind of very unpleasant. However, it all depends on who is in charge of at the counter.

Have a great time there!!

Kee
(Sorry that I misspelled your name.)



Hmm - I'd be happy to put batteries in my checked baggage. I thought the rules were that spare batteries actually had to go in CARRY ON though?



Jan 07, 2017 at 02:55 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carry-on woes


GroovyGeek wrote:
For what it is worth, 4 years ago I traveled to NZ with an F-stop Loka fully loaded - D800, 14-24, 70-200, nifty fifty, Series 2 tripod. Never had a problem, either on the LAX-AUK leg or on the internal flight to Christchurch. Admittedly that was four years ago. The only airline that has ever weighed my carry-on was Air France, that was 5 months ago. I don't travel that much though.

The easiest thing you can do is to have a neck strap handy, if you see them measuring carry-ons slap on the 100-400 on the camera and hang around
...Show more

Well loka is what I have... I certainly could put the 100-400 on a strap if needed, but wouldn't that be considered another personal item? Then I'd have my F-stop loka backpack, a tote purse that has my laptop in it, and some weird barrel-looking bag hanging from another strap...?



Jan 07, 2017 at 02:59 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Kee Woo Rhee
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Hmm - I'd be happy to put batteries in my checked baggage. I thought the rules were that spare batteries actually had to go in CARRY ON though?


The best thing would be to ask each airline. They all have different regulations as to the batteries. It is rather cumbersome but getting written material and print it and take it along with you would be good.

Personally, I would not worry about it. I would just carry my cameras in carry-on bags with batteries in them. I sometimes need to take pictures from the airplane.

As to the weight of the carry-on. I had trouble in domestic air between Aukland and Christchurch, NZ. You may need to concern about this. When I mentioned that I would take the heavy camera with lens attached out of the carry-on bag to hang around my neck, the airport agent didn't like that at all. Overall my experience to NZ was rather unpleasant, from the beginning that my two checked luggages were not delivered until 5 days after.. with so much hassle checking and rechecking with airlines.

Good luck with your upcoming travel. I personally loved the Lake Matheson!!




Jan 07, 2017 at 04:30 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carry-on woes


Bottom line is be prepared to need to check some of your gear if you are over the limits. I personally hate the people that come on board dragging a huge case and in the other arm having another huge ( personal ) bag crammed full.

I travelled on Vietnam Air which weighed all carryon, and they did not allow lenses in pockets or cameras hanging around your neck. I was just under their 7kg limit. I saw others being forced to check in their carryon that was over this limit.

Bottom line, if you try to bypass the regulations, be prepared for the consequences.



Jan 07, 2017 at 05:23 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carry-on woes


chez wrote:
Bottom line is be prepared to need to check some of your gear if you are over the limits. I personally hate the people that come on board dragging a huge case and in the other arm having another huge ( personal ) bag crammed full.

I travelled on Vietnam Air which weighed all carryon, and they did not allow lenses in pockets or cameras hanging around your neck. I was just under their 7kg limit. I saw others being forced to check in their carryon that was over this limit.

Bottom line, if you try to bypass the regulations, be prepared
...Show more

My goal is to figure out a solution, but if I am forced at the gate to check items until it fits, what am I supposed to do? If I put lens(es) into checked luggage, they are highly likely to get damaged - or worse - stolen.

Also, if you've already checked luggage earlier, how do you check item(s) when you're at the gate?

I think I'm very efficient when it comes to air travel. Certainly fit within size restrictions. I also think it's unfair I am limited to 7kg carryon, yet might be forced to sit between TWO people who each weight 20kg+ more than me.



Jan 07, 2017 at 05:36 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
My goal is to figure out a solution, but if I am forced at the gate to check items until it fits, what am I supposed to do? If I put lens(es) into checked luggage, they are highly likely to get damaged - or worse - stolen.

Also, if you've already checked luggage earlier, how do you check item(s) when you're at the gate?

I think I'm very efficient when it comes to air travel. Certainly fit within size restrictions. I also think it's unfair I am limited to 7kg carryon, yet might be forced to sit between TWO people who each
...Show more

It's obviously not an overall weight issue as the weight just gets transferred from inside the plane to underneath.

If you know you are going to be over the limit, then plan for it. Have some strong cases like Pelicans that you can fit into your checked bags. Or don't take all your gear with you. I'm just saying there are rules and sure you can skirt them most of the time...but if you are forced to check your gear...don't blame anyone else but yourself.

Read the regulations of all the different planes you plan on taking and be prepared...or take planes only that have a higher carryon limit...which might cost more for the flights. Usually 1st class has a higher carryon limit so that is an option as well.



Jan 07, 2017 at 06:16 PM
GroovyGeek
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Well loka is what I have... I certainly could put the 100-400 on a strap if needed, but wouldn't that be considered another personal item? Then I'd have my F-stop loka backpack, a tote purse that has my laptop in it, and some weird barrel-looking bag hanging from another strap...?


It might, but at that point what do you have to loose? If they make you check in the bag you can keep the camera around your neck, stuff the 16-35 in a pocket and let them have a go at the Loka. It will take anythign an airline employee decides to throw at it. At least your gear is safe, I am not aware of any airline that is measuring the personal weight of their passengers :-)



Jan 07, 2017 at 06:58 PM
Wilbur Su
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
My goal is to figure out a solution, but if I am forced at the gate to check items until it fits, what am I supposed to do? If I put lens(es) into checked luggage, they are highly likely to get damaged - or worse - stolen.

Also, if you've already checked luggage earlier, how do you check item(s) when you're at the gate?

I think I'm very efficient when it comes to air travel. Certainly fit within size restrictions. I also think it's unfair I am limited to 7kg carryon, yet might be forced to sit between TWO people who each
...Show more

Read this. There might be some advice here for you.

http://bythom.com/photographic-travel/weighty-advice.html




Jan 07, 2017 at 07:00 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Carry-on woes


Wilbur Su wrote:
Read this. There might be some advice here for you.

http://bythom.com/photographic-travel/weighty-advice.html



Thanks for the link. I might have to find a cheap vest or jacket that is a little better pocket-oriented, just in case.



Jan 07, 2017 at 07:15 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Carry-on woes


GroovyGeek wrote:
It might, but at that point what do you have to loose? If they make you check in the bag you can keep the camera around your neck, stuff the 16-35 in a pocket and let them have a go at the Loka. It will take anythign an airline employee decides to throw at it. At least your gear is safe, I am not aware of any airline that is measuring the personal weight of their passengers :-)


Vietnam air made you take your jacket off and everything of substance you had on you and weighed it all. Carrying things around your neck and stuffing pockets would have not helped.

Like I said earlier, plan on an alternate means if you carry more than the set weight limit...be it checking some of the equipment in, purchasing 1st class which most allow more weight or taking alternative airlines.

If you don't plan accordingly, you can end up in a pickle.



Jan 07, 2017 at 07:48 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Carry-on woes


kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Thanks for the link. I might have to find a cheap vest or jacket that is a little better pocket-oriented, just in case.


Won't work in some instances...read above.



Jan 07, 2017 at 07:49 PM
kaitlyn2004
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Carry-on woes


chez wrote:
Won't work in some instances...read above.


Yeah. I won't be traveling on vietnam air. Anything is possible, though I haven't heard of any other airline doing this



Jan 07, 2017 at 11:01 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password