New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Falling leaves

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Falling leaves

I've always wanted to take one of these photos. Obviously, Lisa does an immensely better job. But I still wanted to try it. Sadly down here in Miami we don't really have these trees, those leaves, that light. But during our recent trip to Georgia we visited the Amicalola Falls State Park and as soon as we drove in, I knew this was the best chance I would have to take such a photo. Obviously a 200mm f/2 or 400m f/2.8 would have done a nicer job with the background, but I still think it's lovely. What do you think?

Jan 06, 2017 at 08:39 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Falling leaves

The light isn't dramatic, but I like this; I think you did a very good job on this.

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Jmac88
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Falling leaves

Lovely indeed

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:52 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Falling leaves

Very well done.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:28 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Falling leaves

I have a few suggestions to try.

The leaves look carefully arranged. I think a more random pattern would add realism. It's obvious that the photo has a shallow depth of field, yet almost every leaf is tack sharp. They actually look sharper than the rest of the photograph. Compare to leaves on the ground. It takes away the feeling of dimension. Try adding some blur to some of the leaves, perhaps even a little motion blur.

You've got a great subject. Personally, I'd love to see more natural, less gimmicky photos of him.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:41 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Falling leaves

I like it, nicely done.

Birdie

Jan 07, 2017 at 11:45 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Falling leaves

For me, exactly what Doug said. And don't be so hard on yourself.

Jan 07, 2017 at 11:46 AM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Falling leaves

Thanks for the comments guys.

The leaves are not photoshopped in, we took a bunch of tries dropping leaves on him

But I'll take the criticism

Jan 07, 2017 at 11:51 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Falling leaves

Max_Pain wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys.

The leaves are not photoshopped in, we took a bunch of tries dropping leaves on him

But I'll take the criticism

Then Photoshop in some more!

It's crazy that they are all so sharp. Sorry for making an erroneous assumption. Many photographers like Elena Shumilova regularly drop in elements not in the original capture. Some have made it a sport to find reused elements in different Elena photos.

Jan 07, 2017 at 12:15 PM
Lisa_Holloway
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Falling leaves

dmacmillan wrote:
Then Photoshop in some more!

It's crazy that they are all so sharp. Sorry for making an erroneous assumption. Many photographers like Elena Shumilova regularly drop in elements not in the original capture. Some have made it a sport to find reused elements in different Elena photos.

And all the while they are making it a 'sport' and wasting time, she's out enjoying her passion, traveling the world, and making money. I wonder who's really winning here?

Great shot, Max.

Jan 07, 2017 at 12:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Falling leaves

Lisa_Holloway wrote:
And all the while they are making it a 'sport' and wasting time, she's out enjoying her passion, traveling the world, and making money. I wonder who's really winning here?

Good point. Since December of last year, I've been to Tuscany, the Eastern shore, Southern California, Ohio, Oklahoma, Switzerland, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Alaska and Hawaii. It's been a great year out enjoying my passion of travel and photography.

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:04 PM
Vcook
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Falling leaves

fun stuff, I'd find a more colorful patch of leaves next time!

Jan 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Falling leaves

Ah... I still stand behind my agreement with Doug on the too-sharp leaves. Whether they're photoshopped or not, it still doesn't look right that they're all in focus like that.

So, just because they were really tossed in the shot, they were still only tossed within the plane of focus. The image was manipulated, whether with PS or during the shot itself. And I think the image would look more realistic if some of the leaves were out of focus or even partially out of focus.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Falling leaves

A fine shot. Keep working to make it even better. If you are going to blur the leaves, remember to only blur some of them.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:49 PM
ucphotog
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Falling leaves

Being late to the party, I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said, but I like the picture.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:09 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Falling leaves

nice

Jan 11, 2017 at 09:52 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.