New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

San Diego area

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Diego area

So my brother is opening his brewery in Carlsbad in March - very exciting time. Wiseguy Brewing

anyways, they are flying me down to take pictures to fill the brewery will images of local area. I will be in La Jolla at the "potholes", but i need to check if there is a high tide when i am down there (feb 24-27). I will also sneak in a day trip to Joshua Tree NP since it isn't that terribly far.

any suggestions? i think there are some sand dunes somewhere down there, and will look into that. The mountains of San Diego might have some good stuff as well, but i never spent much time in SD growing up in Huntington.

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:24 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Diego area

Many here will disagree with me, but I would skip Joshua Tree in favor of the hills around Ramona and the Santa Yzabel creek, Anza Borrego and Sunrise Hwy. The downside is that the first two locations, while far more interesting and diverse, require scouting, considerable legwork, and quite a bit of driving. SUV recommended, though I have seen a Prius at Font's Point. Would not recommend it though, and going to Vista del Malpais in a Prius is definitely asking for trouble. We are getting tons of rain now (by San Diego standards) so wildflowers in Anza Borrego are likely to be great this year, though likely not at the end of February. In that same area the Sunrise Highway has a few photogenic locations, for example Kwaaymii Point and a short easy hike to Garnett Peak for views stretching 100+ miles over Anza Borrego. The sun is not in the right location for sunrise at Kwaymii Point unless you get a very strong sky, but Garnett Peak has near 180 degree views east.

If you are willing to invest two days just a bit farther are the Kofas, 4.5 hrs from San Diego and they wipe the floor with Joshua Tree any time of day, especially if you are willing to drive down Kofa Queen Canyon Rd and hike around. On the way to the Kofas you will drive by the Imperial Dunes. They are great for photography in the summer when it is obscenely hot and noone is around, especially during monsoon season when monsoons clip Eastern California. During the winter the place is infested with ATVs and the dunes are heavily defaced, don't waste your time. Within that same driving range are the Ibex Dunes at the southern tip of Death Valley. I have done a day trip to the Kofas for a special occasion (the blood moon eclipse) but that is a long drive for a day, especially if you are not familiar with the area and need to scout it out.

In San Diego the La Jolla puddles are a standby as is Scripps Pier. Another popular place is Broken Hill in Torrey Pines SP. I am quite fond of my "secret" spot - drive to Point Loma all the way to the end of Sunset Cliffs Blvd, part at the dirt lot there, then find the beach right next to the park - you need to go down a steep slope with the help of a rope. Walk as far south as the water will let you, there are some gorgeous cracked rocks during sunset and you are likely to all by yourself. Requires low tide though, not necessarily negative though it helps. I am yet to get good light at that spot, so maybe I should not advertise it on an open forum :-)
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaDRZYXRna1lNNkE

Another favorite spot of mine is Delmar beach. Yup, you read that right. Last winter El Nino exposed some striated rocks, but they are now covered by sand once again
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoZXZ2Sk84ZFJxbWM

Even then, when the water is receding from high tide, at about 1ft above sea level, you get these wonderful exposed greenish rocks that are treasure trove of intimate landscapes
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoZVdHdWZfT282RTA
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoS2ttZDRjQkpuZDA
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoVEJzSzdjdkNmZzA
http://www.lghtbx.com/u/groovygeek/0BxMbtrAZYEMoaVhtUnFzOTdjeGs/0BxMbtrAZYEMoX09CWm96bk56V0k

You will be the only photographer around, there will be beach walkers staring at you curiously wondering W*F you are doing. From the main entrance at Powerhouse park walk south for about 1/2 mile and watch for the rocks near the end of the beach. They are easy to miss if you are not looking for them. You need low sun and wet rocks for the green to come out, since they are so far back do not go there during low tide.

P.S. Wish your brother good luck, he will need it. I am not a beer drinker but from everything I have read San Diego is THE most saturated microbrew market in the US.

Jan 07, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Diego area

Are you looking landscape or general local color, city views, etc., that say Carlsbad or maybe iconic local stuff? Palomar Observatory isn't too far away. Legoland but that may not fit the brewery feel. There are a couple of lagoons that may be of interest along with the bridges, etc. on the old highway (1 or 101 not sure or PCH, not sure what they call it these days, most of my recent trips like in many years have been on I-5. The old Carlsbad Station. There are flower fields but Feb may be too early.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:24 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Diego area

thanks guys! He wants some photos that local people will recognize, and some of places that people may not have realized are from there.

This is strictly a "business" photo trip. as much as i would love to shoot the Kofas, i don't think it will fit his theme at the moment. I have looked up some some spots, and found swamis Beach to be of interest. Ponto Beach, Scripps Pier, Torrey Pines, La Jolla Cove and some piers (Carlsbad, Oceanside, etc).

Jan 08, 2017 at 05:29 PM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Diego area

If strictly business then also Soledad Mtn, Potato Chip Rock, definitely Sunset Cliffs Blvd (though not the somewhat obscure beach I suggested), Mt. Helix. All of them heavily affected by human activity but all are very popular local outdoor locations. And of course there is Julian and its apple pie, which is indistinguishable from any frozen store brand but people still drive 2 hrs to get it :-). Julian gets snow occasionally, which would be a fairly unique image for San Diego.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fsphoto

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Diego area

http://photosecrets.com/photosecrets-san-diego

Jan 09, 2017 at 01:31 AM
jdc562
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Diego area

If you want to celebrate the icons of San Diego County--here are some examples of things most locals are likely to recognize: the original old Spanish revival buildings in Balboa Park are historic icons. There is Old Town. San Diego is one of the few natural ports in California--with a long history shown by the older and newer ships on display--such as the square riggers, historic Navy vessels, and America's Cup Yachts (if any of the last are still around). Carlsbad is in the area of big Marine, Navy, and Air Force installations (not that any of their folks drink beer ), and there are a number of local museums that have displays of historical ships, aircraft, etc., from San Diego's long, proud, military history. Don't forget the offshore areas: iconic fishing and underwater scenes. Surfing is a big deal there. Pelicans, seals, and sea lions are also iconic for this area and can be photographed at La Jolla, among other places.... for starters....

Jan 09, 2017 at 03:43 AM
bflood
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Diego area

I agree with the Balboa Park and Old Town recommendations. Add a shot of the port from the elevated location of Balboa Park, too. With the large navy presence, a few good shots of navy vessels will be appreciated, especially if there's a carrier in port. Be careful to not look like a spy! Shots of the Hotel Del Coronado will work as a local and national landmark. Seaport Village, a touristy shopping center on the edge of the bay, would also be recognizable. Street shots, morning and evening, near the brewery should also please your "customer."

Jan 09, 2017 at 05:13 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Diego area

And of course THE shot of San Diego from the ferry docks on the north side of Coronado island
https://www.google.com/maps/place/3241'56.8"N+11710'11.6"W/@32.6991145,-117.1720627,17z

NOW we are digressing into postcard territory :-)
http://www.sandiego.com/rotator/san-diego-skyline

Jan 09, 2017 at 05:25 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password