Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Third Son

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Hi folks...pardon my ignorance but how do you turn off the default sharpening in LR? I have LR6....not CC

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:14 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

leighton w wrote:
Thanks for the comparisons guys! I think I'm sold.

The only concern I have now is the extra storage needed because of having both the DNG and RAF files. Why couldn't you delete the RAF files once you have the DNG files in the folder?

You can - just as long as all your software opens DNGs, you'll be fine. Be aware of course that the demosaicing of the DNG has been done by Iridient, so if you like their method, why not?

I think I'm actually going to do this, because

a) I think Iridient's method varies from 'just as good as optimal LR" to "ridiculously better than LR ever could be" but I love LR's other features and editing tools, so I still use it as a workflow platform.

and

b) I can see DNG as previews/icons using Windows Explorer

My plan is to segretate my Fuji RAFs (using LR's metadata sorting method) into their own folder, convert using the Iridient method I like the best (medium sharp, 'more detail' rendering), rei-mport those into LR, remove the RAFs from Lightroom catalog, then move them to an external catalog. I'll play around with a DNG-only experience and if all goes well, I plan to do this for any future Fuji files.

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:40 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Third Son wrote:
Hi folks...pardon my ignorance but how do you turn off the default sharpening in LR? I have LR6....not CC

In the development module, click on an image, set sharpening to desired level. Then hold down the alt/option key and click on the reset button in the lower right. This now becomes your default setting.

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:42 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

cputeq wrote:
You can - just as long as all your software opens DNGs, you'll be fine. Be aware of course that the demosaicing of the DNG has been done by Iridient, so if you like their method, why not?

I think I'm actually going to do this, because

a) I think Iridient's method varies from 'just as good as optimal LR" to "ridiculously better than LR ever could be" but I love LR's other features and editing tools, so I still use it as a workflow platform.

and

b) I can see DNG as previews/icons using Windows Explorer

My plan is to segretate my
...Show more

I like your reasoning however, I can't see my DNG previews in Windows. Hmmm...

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:47 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Third Son wrote:

Should be the same in LR6 -- The method I use is to open up any RAF you have and make sure it's totally "Reset" (no edits), then drop down sharpening to zero (I also drop color NR to zero). If you want, pick any other defaults you like, such as the color profile (Provia, Adobe default, etc.).

Then, while still in the develop module, one of the Left-hand panes should have the "Presets" title. Click the "+" to create a user preset such as "Fuji NoSharp" or whatever you want to name it.

You can now apply this during import -- On the Import screen, on the right-hand side, you have a pane called "Apply During Import". You can select your develop profile that you just created.

Additionally, I believe this selection 'carries over' through imports -- so if you import more Fuji files in the future, then you won't have to reselect it.

I'll have to do more testing to see what happens when one imports files that cannot match the parameters (like a Canon raw file but my preset has Provia as a profile) -- My hunch is either nothing is applied, or the color profile stays adobe.

This is one way -- might be another way to do it.

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:48 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

leighton w wrote:
I like your reasoning however, I can't see my DNG previews in Windows. Hmmm...

I'm using Windows 10 btw, unsure if that has anything to do with it. Also, LR CC.

Oh, and to amend my previous post -- I plan to move my RAFs to an external DRIVE, not catalog. 1TB USB 3 drives are pretty darn cheap I might actually picked up a 2nd in case one fails.

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:48 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

leighton w wrote:
In the development module, click on an image, set sharpening to desired level. Then hold down the alt/option key and click on the reset button in the lower right. This now becomes your default setting.

Lol wow, so much more elegant than my suggested method ! Very nice, I didn't know this.

Jan 07, 2017 at 10:51 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

cputeq wrote:
I'm using Windows 10 btw, unsure if that has anything to do with it. Also, LR CC.

Oh, and to amend my previous post -- I plan to move my RAFs to an external DRIVE, not catalog. 1TB USB 3 drives are pretty darn cheap I might actually picked up a 2nd in case one fails.

I'm still on Windows 7. I just loaded a DNG codec from Adobe and all is well now.

Jan 07, 2017 at 12:09 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

leighton, the reason I'm keeping the RAFs (not in my catalogue, but in a separate 'archive' location) is because the DNG has been processed by Iridient. If you only have the DNG then you no longer have the option to try a different processor down the road, or different settings in Iridient.

It's totally a personal preference but I always keep the 'rawest' RAW (ugh, couldn't resist) so that I have the most options in future.

leighton w wrote:
Thanks for the comparisons guys! I think I'm sold.

The only concern I have now is the extra storage needed because of having both the DNG and RAF files. Why couldn't you delete the RAF files once you have the DNG files in the folder?

Jan 07, 2017 at 12:36 PM
Third Son

p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Thanks...I will give it a go!

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:17 PM
Third Son

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Thanks for the info...going to use Leighton's method and give it a go!

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:18 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

rdeloe wrote:
leighton, the reason I'm keeping the RAFs (not in my catalogue, but in a separate 'archive' location) is because the DNG has been processed by Iridient. If you only have the DNG then you no longer have the option to try a different processor down the road, or different settings in Iridient.

It's totally a personal preference but I always keep the 'rawest' RAW (ugh, couldn't resist) so that I have the most options in future.

Makes perfect sense.

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:29 PM
Termite
• •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Iridient X/Transformer seems to be just as good as it was promised to be. I am trying it out now. What settings would you recommend for high-ISO images? I haven’t found the ideal settings yet. Iridient can produce rather nasty noise compared to Lightroom. Here are two examples. ISO 1600 and 12,800, Iridient to the left.

http://images.x100forum.com/images/dsf4264.jpg

http://images.x100forum.com/images/dsf40542.jpg

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:53 PM
sfogg
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

If Iridient Transformer is like Iridient Developer the default sharpening method (ID has multiple methods) can cause artifacts on noisy images. That looks like what you have happening. Turn up the NR in Iridient and turn the sharpening down or off.

Shawn

Jan 07, 2017 at 01:57 PM
dankin
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

When I was shooting Fuji, Iridient was always my favorite from a detail standpoint, but it was week compared to LR and C1 for the other aspects of delevoping a raw. Particularly when it came to highlight and shadow adjustments. Being able to have much better demosaicing and still have access to the LR Fuji profiles and tone adjustments seems like a win to me! Looking forward to trying it on some of my Fuji files when the Mac version comes out.

Jan 07, 2017 at 02:48 PM
gyoung143
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Would anyone have a view on how this would conpare with using the 'free' Silkypix raw converter to produce a tif file and then working on that in LR?
I did try it once and it showed promise, but I couldn't be bothered with the Silkypix interface :-(

Gerry

Jan 07, 2017 at 02:54 PM
ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Interesting. So do you plan on converting all RAFs to DNG and then moving out the RAF files? I have struggled with the decision related to what to do with RAFs since I started using Lightroom. What I do is that once I import them in LR, I process files and export jpegs. After the jpegs are uploaded to social media/Flickr, I delete the jpegs. The problem with this is that when my wife wants to print any pictures, she always complains that she cannot find any (becasue they are in LR and she doesn't know how to use it)

Is it possible to apply Fuji film simulations in LR to DNG files?
rdeloe wrote:

Jan 07, 2017 at 03:09 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

My plan (as of now) is to convert RAFs to DNG as a matter of course. This will replace the basic RAW development that Lightroom would otherwise do.

This will only work well if the same Iridient settings can be used as the base conversion. As the above posts show, this may only work with images that have similar needs. For example, it might not work well with a collection of RAFs that are combinations of ISO (high, low, in between). I haven't got a clue yet how much I would need to sort the RAFs into groups with like conversion settings. That's to be determined!

Anyway, my basic approach has always been to copy the RAW files to an archive (I do it with one folder per day of shooting), and then to import the RAWs into Lightroom off the card. That's what I do with my Sony files, which convert fine in Lightroom. I have to adjust this a bit now that I also shoot the Fuji. I'm simply going to copy the RAFs into my archive, often alongside ARW files from Sony (they can all live together happily in the archive folder!) Then I run the RAFs through the Iridient Developer and import only the DNGs into Lightroom.

Sharpening and noise reduction have happened in Iridient, so I use a preset that zeros out sharpening and noise reduction during import into LR.

I like to keep the RAFs in case I need to try again with different settings in Iridient (short-term) or in case I need the RAF for whatever reason (e.g., a better processor comes along and I want to re-do an image).

As for your last question, Yes! I wondered that too and all the Fuji simulations are available with the DNG. This may be controlled by Iridient. I've been using the default settings, which seem to pass through whatever is needed to have access to the camera profiles.

Some loose ends I have to figure out (and maybe someone knows already) are posted in a following post in this thread.

ajamils wrote:
Interesting. So do you plan on converting all RAFs to DNG and then moving out the RAF files? I have struggled with the decision related to what to do with RAFs since I started using Lightroom. What I do is that once I import them in LR, I process files and export jpegs. After the jpegs are uploaded to social media/Flickr, I delete the jpegs. The problem with this is that when my wife wants to print any pictures, she always complains that she cannot find any (becasue they are in LR and she doesn't know how to use it)

Is
...Show more

Jan 07, 2017 at 04:05 PM
rdeloe
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Some more loose ends (anybody know the answers?)

(1) Iridient can take care of lens correction directly (Apply Corrections to Image); these include distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting. It seems to do this better than Lightroom (do a side-by-side and check the corners to see what i mean -- or look at examples posted earlier in this thread).

So, if we let Iridient deal with these, we can turn them off in LR? I notice that the CA setting is still on by default.

(2) Has anyone tested to see whether or not Lightroom does a better job on noise reduction than Iridient developer? If so, for high ISO images the answer might simply be to turn it off in Iridient (which is an option). Iridient's developer does recommend leaving some noise reduction on even for low ISO images (and you certainly can add noise reduction in Lightroom).

My approach to Iridient Developer is to use it to get to a better starting point in Lightroom than I can with Lightroom alone. It seems to be entirely appropriate for this purpose given that if you import a RAF into Lightroom it's also applying "one size fits all" sharpening, noise reduction and lens corrections as a starting point (exactly what Iridient Developer is doing). So from my perspective I'm trying to figure out the Iridient settings that will give me that better starting point because I don't want to have to mess around with multiple different settings and imports in Iridient Developer depending on the character of the image (e.g., low ISO versus high ISO).

Jan 07, 2017 at 04:08 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

rdeloe wrote:
Some more loose ends (anybody know the answers?)

(1) Iridient can take care of lens correction directly (Apply Corrections to Image); these include distortion, chromatic aberration and vignetting. It seems to do this better than Lightroom (do a side-by-side and check the corners to see what i mean -- or look at examples posted earlier in this thread).

So, if we let Iridient deal with these, we can turn them off in LR? I notice that the CA setting is still on by default.

(2) Has anyone tested to see whether or not Lightroom does a better job on noise reduction than
...Show more

I agree I am also using Iridient X Transformer as the initial demosacing and developer for the RAF files within Lr CC. From my evaluations there is no other program that comes close, except for RawTherapee and this requires setting many modules to optimize the raw conversion. RawTherappee could even be better, but this requires considerable time to set it up for a range of images. The beauty of Iridient is the simplicity and ease of the raw converter.

My workflow will not change for now, as I just import all my images normally within Lr CC. I have set up the external editor with Iridient X Transformer, and it is just a matter of Ctrl-Alt-E, to convert one or more images. This is the same for PS, just a Ctrl-E will export quickly in PS, with a Ctrl-S back in LrCC. The difference using this technique is that the files are named as TIFF's, rather DNG when you directly import the RAF files via Iridient. My understanding there is no difference.

Lr CC is very powerful, and the noise reduction for luminescence and color noise is superb. For all high ISO images I use usually a setting of 5-20 for luminescence and detail of 80. This works really well for all cameras, A7rII, A7s, D750, D810 and XT2. For very high ISO images if there is any color noise, just use a setting of 5 as this is more than enough surprisingly

With the Iridient converted DNG/TIFF files in Lr CC, all the normal functionalities remain, like the Fuji color profiles. I use the lens profile corrections via Iridient too.

In effect I am using Iridient X Transformer as demosaicing/development module with default settings. I am really surprised that Adobe, C1 Pro and others have not developed a dedicated XTrans demosaicing converter. This really should be the responsibility of Fuji if they wish the continued growth using the XTrans sensor.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:42 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.