Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              10       11       end

Archive 2017 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

charles.K
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Great news that Iridient Developer in now available for Windows

I have not tested it yet, but I would be very interested to see how it performs.

http://www.iridientdigital.com/products/xtransformer.html

Edited on Jan 06, 2017 at 02:49 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2017 at 01:17 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Test run with Iridient for Windows

Shot with the 50-140 and XT2
#1 Iridient DNG via Lr

#2 Lr RAF, default 25.

100% Crops first
Next full image

Edited on Jan 06, 2017 at 03:41 AM · View previous versions

Jan 06, 2017 at 02:04 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

#1 shot is with Iridient via Lr, sync'd and default sharpening at 0.
#2 shot with Lr CC with sharpening as for optimal detail for my eyes

In Lr CC when you have converted the Iridient DNG and then syn'd the folder, make sure the default Lr CC sharpening is turned off. Otherwise the default sharpening in Lr CC even at 25 will bring in artifacts.

Initial impressions: Yes there is a definite improvement in detail and feel even with the default settings with Iridient. At 100%, the detail in the leaves appear to be more defined. Of course you can increase the sharpening with Lr CC but I suspect it may be at the expense of artifacts. Interesting!

Jan 06, 2017 at 02:25 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Wow. My 10-24 just got a turbo boost

I knew Iridient was good on macOS, but frankly the workflow just didn't jive with LR and I was fairly happy with LR anyway (still am).

But this is awesome. I took an f/11 shot from my 10-24 and noticed even the bottom-right corner is MUCH better with Iridient on windows than LR. I think the developer has a sale from me.

Sharpnening - Low Method -- "More detailed"

It's like a layer of Vaseline has been removed.

Note: The LR Image was already processed to taste prior to doing this comparison. I had it at about the best I could get it.

Jan 06, 2017 at 08:45 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Looks great

I have been looking at foliage at 200% and the structure of the sharpening is very different compared with Iridient to Lr CC.

Another comparison. This high frequency detail in foliage that sometimes is hard to define !

#1 Iridient in Lr CC sharpening at 0

#2 Lr CC with optimal sharpening

#3 100% Crop Iridient

#4 100% Lr CC

Iridient developer is quite amazing! Combine this with the work flow of Lr CC/PS and it so easy, and very powerful.

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:06 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

how does this work?
do I just download the demo, convert RAF to DNG and then import into LR?

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:30 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

taemo wrote:
how does this work?

Yes

You might also be able to use it as a plugin from within LR but I didn't have time to test it out, I think Charles did (OP).

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:36 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

taemo wrote:
how does this work?

I open up Lr CC, determine which RAW files I wish to convert with Iridient DNG, then convert with Iridient separately in the same folder all settings at default, then go back to Lr CC and sync the folder and the new DNG files will appear.

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:38 AM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

A plug-in to LR would really be useful.

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:43 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

leighton w wrote:
A plug-in to LR would really be useful.

I'm betting it's possible. Within LR, try registering Iridient as an external developer. I thought (maybe I'm wrong) it was possible to open the RAF via this method, from within LR, but I could be totally wrong...I haven't tried it in a while.

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:44 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Do you have to have lightroom on the computer to try this product?
Will it work with Bridge or Photoshop?
A stand alone converter?

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:48 AM
taemo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

thanks, ill give this a try over the weekend!

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:59 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Daniel Smith wrote:
Do you have to have lightroom on the computer to try this product?
Will it work with Bridge or Photoshop?
A stand alone converter?

As long as your software can read a DNG, it'll work.
DNG was invented by Adobe as an open format and of course it's readable by Bridge and PS, so you're good

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:12 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

If anyone has some time how about some comparison of different types of images? Portrait, street, architecture?

thx

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:29 AM
Termite
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Thanks for the good news! I knew it was coming and will definitely try it. (Update: Well, I will try it as soon as I'm able to convince my anti virus program that it's not a threat: Norton anti virus deletes it every time.)

Jan 06, 2017 at 10:46 AM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Forgive my ignorance, but I've NEVER ever touched a DNG file before. So explain if you will what the process really is. If I take a RAF raw file in my Fuji X-T2, then place it on my desktop lens say, then open up Lightroom CC. What is the next thing I do? Does Lightroom just magically know what the DNG file is and open it translating it without any other manipulation? Or is there an additional move one has to make to open it? I'm a bit confused. So I'm sure the file FIRST has to be opened up in Iridient to be translated in it's own manner, but then what? I assume it's saved as a DNG at that point, but what does one do from there to just open it in Lightroom CC to finish the job? Thanks.

Jan 06, 2017 at 11:18 AM
Walie

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

Just wanted to point this out, this is Iridient Transformer, a pared down version of Iridient Developer, and works as a perfect companion to lightroom. You can even still use the film simulations with the Iridient DNG!

Its also still in Beta, so hopefully the option to be a lightroom plug-in will be added as well

Jan 06, 2017 at 11:41 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

traveler wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but I've NEVER ever touched a DNG file before. So explain if you will what the process really is. If I take a RAF raw file in my Fuji X-T2, then place it on my desktop lens say, then open up Lightroom CC. What is the next thing I do? Does Lightroom just magically know what the DNG file is and open it translating it without any other manipulation? Or is there an additional move one has to make to open it? I'm a bit confused. So I'm sure the file FIRST has to be opened up
...Show more

Think of a DNG similar to a PDF -- readable by many different systems as long as the system is given initial capability to read it and it'll look the same no matter what you read it on.

Most camera makers unfortunately use their own, propriety RAW format -- meaning all software has to account for all the .ORFs, RAFs, NEFs, (Olympus, Fuji and Nikon, respectively, etc. etc.) in order to be able to open and translate those RAW formats.

***technicality***
(much of the time this 'translation' is just updating the software program to update its own "authorized list" of cameras to make it recognize the new camera model header in the raw file . For instance, if an X-T3 came out, bets are unless Fuji radically changed the way they do RAW files, one could actually edit the header of an X-T3 raw (using an external program) to make it read "X-T2" and then open that modified RAW just fine in most programs (in fact, I've done this).

A DNG is a 'universal' RAW format invented by Adobe. There are actually multiple versions of DNG because features were added (like support for lens correction flags, color profiles, support for lossless compression, etc.) but for the most part, any program that is capable of reading a DNG can open it up and get very similar performance as if one were opening a native file.

Pentax is the only maker I know of that will actually natively output DNG files. However, Adobe makes a free DNG converter, so that you could conceivably batch all of your various raw formats into all DNG files.

So yes -- almost any RAW editor can open a DNG, though I'm sure there are exceptions (like Canon's own software, maybe Nikon's). LR will read a DNG just fine, as does Bridge, PS, etc.

What Iridient converter does is open the RAF and save all of that raw information into a DNG. Then, one can use whatever program they want to edit that DNG and take advantage of Iridient's sharpening and 'translation' of the RAF instead of relying on the native translation abilities of their program when it reads RAFs.

So, to break it down:

If I open a RAF in LR CC, it's going to look different than in Capture 1, Silkypix, etc. because all of those programs translate the raw information slightly differently, and a lot of people (including me) love Lightroom's workflow but hate how they demosaic RAFs.

For DNG (as far as I know...fuzzy memory here), if you open a DNG in Capture 1 or Silkypix or Lightroom, it should look the same...though whether each program supports the various flags within the DNG (lens corrections, color profiles, etc.) might vary.

Iridient will demosaic the RAF using its own code, then write this as a DNG -- When LR opens this, it doesn't do its own demosaic because Iridient has already done that.

That's why an Iridient DNG, from a Fuji RAF, will look much different in LR compared to LR reading the RAF itself.

Edit -- To further clarify (or confuse, your choice), the *creation* of the DNG can vary wildly.

If I get Iridient to make a DNG from a RAF, then get LR to export a DNG from a RAF, those DNGs are still going to look differently from one another (because each program has performs its own 'translation' of the RAF as it creates the DNG)....but they'll look the same in every program that can open DNGs -- So a LR-created DNG, opened in Silkypix, looks exactly the same as if it were opening in LR itself.

The cool thing about DNGs is that they're fairly universal (not completely though). So if I'm using ancient Lightroom 3 and I have an X-T2 and still want to shoot raw -- I could do so just by running my RAFs through a DNG converter (Iridient, Adobe's free one, whatever) and then import those into Lightroom 3 and it would read most of it just fine (might not support the color profiles) and I'd still have the editing headroom that a native raw would give me.

Again, an Iridient X-T2 DNG will look different than a LR X-T2 DNG, but both would be able to be read by older programs as long as they supported DNGs.

Jan 06, 2017 at 12:36 PM
traveler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

OK so bottom line. tell me this is going to work or not. I haven't had the time yet to shoot but will later:

*Take a shot in RAW with the X-T2
* Take that file off the card and open it in Iridient to turn it into it's DNG file.
*Take that DNG file and miraculously open it in LR? (this is the biggie will Lightroom just open it because it knows DNG in general or is there another move to be made first?
*Assuming the DNG opens in Lightroom automatically by default, just look and admire the initial things done by Iridient, then adjust to taste from there.

Did I miss anything?

Jan 06, 2017 at 02:30 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Iridient Developer in now available for Windows !!!

No that is essentially the workflow. What Irident is doing is translating the demosaiced Fuji file into a somewhat universal at least to Adobe raw DNG file that can be loaded by Adobe software. Other programs may or may not have issues because there are many forms of DNG they are not as universal as Adobe claims. However for your question that is not important.

So yes what you asked will work as you think it will.

Alan

Jan 06, 2017 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.