Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2017 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

I have a Yashica 44 on my camera wall that's a constant reminder of a day when the Japanese were followers, not leaders (it's a total rip off of the baby Rolei that was big in the early 60's).

In the last year, I've been saying how the Chinese are emerging from following to leading. On top of consistant innovation and revision on their drone products, it was announced DJI now has a controlling interest in Hasselblad (which can only be a great thing).

Now this ....

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-ad200-witstro-cordless-strobe-coming/

Godox » the noise you can't ignore. What I love about this new product is that it breaks previous physical forms. It's it's own thing. Looks like leading to me.

Jan 05, 2017 at 08:06 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

LeeSimms wrote:
Now this ....

http://flashhavoc.com/godox-ad200-witstro-cordless-strobe-coming/

Godox » the noise you can't ignore. What I love about this new product is that it breaks previous physical forms. It's it's own thing. Looks like leading to me.

I was looking at those yesterday and they look pretty promising.

Jan 05, 2017 at 08:11 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Yeah, I was discussing this with a friend who is in the lighting industry (not Godox, a competitor). We both agreed that the barebulb head on the AD200 seems like a winner, but the speedlight head seems like it could be prone to overheating really easily. Hopefully they engineered some cooling in to make this less of an issue.

Agreed, though, AD200 looks like a big hit and will probably be in my bag eventually.

Jan 05, 2017 at 10:14 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Where is the pre-order button?

Jan 05, 2017 at 11:30 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

I was going to buy another V860 but with a bit of luck these things won't be too long in arriving and I can get a couple for my winter season T&I work.

Jan 06, 2017 at 03:57 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

https://www.adorama.com/fplfev200.html

SloPhoto wrote:
Where is the pre-order button?

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:21 AM
JohnnyArguedas
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Very smart- there are already barn doors and a grid as accessories. I want.

Jan 06, 2017 at 11:27 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

This looks like a great idea: a speedlight-type flash made to be used off camera; better stand mounting, bare bulb and a stop and a bit more power. Built it radio too.

The interchangeable heads thing is like the old sunpak 622 flashes.

Jan 06, 2017 at 05:54 PM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

But, but...Canon and Nikon have $400 speed lights that use AA batteries! You can just buy and bring along lots of AA's guys!

Jan 06, 2017 at 06:25 PM
ckhagen
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

I'm curious as to how/what modifiers will mount to it. Hmm.

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:50 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

$349 US?
That makes them at least $500 here. I just bought the V860 for $250 and that's what I would buy again if these come out at even $349 here.
Only paid $699 for the wistro a few weeks back so again, better value than these things if the price equates to what I think and would likely be.
They don't represent real good value for money from my POV unless the price falls a lot.

I was also wondering if they will have the same battery as the V860. I have that many freaking battery chargers now, I couldn't bloody stand another one to cart around when I go away shooting because these manufacturers want to force you into buying more proprietary batteries. Fed up with it.

I have 7 Different chargers now to run the main gear I use. More than enough.
Chuck in another one for the phone and the laptop and I need a bag just for Chargers and cords.

Jan 06, 2017 at 11:43 PM
leethecam
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

The second they discover the concept of customer service (at least in the UK), they'll definitely be a hit.

But for now, I'd only use their speedlights because they're cheap enough to regard as disposable.

Multiple emails to them with simple queries - directly and through FB, never an answer.

Jan 07, 2017 at 04:57 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

In my experience, that seems to be the Chinese/ Asian Culture.

Cheap price is the be all and end all. I worked in an Asian dominated industry for a while and I was amazed by this. Clients would ring and the other Asian sales people would outright lie about delivery dates. The merchandise would turn up a week or more late and they never complained once.
My non Asian clients of every other background would go into orbit.

Same thing with botched orders. The asians would get charged for the right parts to get sent out after the warehouse sent them incorrectly and the Asian clients never said a thing. I was never game to try it on my clients. I would have told them to stick it in their nether regions. When I told the boss this, he could not understand why. I couldn't understand how he couldn't see the problem of charging clients for YOUR mistake.

It's just cultural differences and (mis) understandings.
I think in years to come the east will better come to understand the west's desires and expectations.

In a way it's very similar to the outlook of many shooters. Do fantastic pictures, Blog them on facebook and that's all you need to do to become another rockstar shooter. Any other marketing is unnecessary.

I am surprised at the price of these Lights though. I don't think the company is quite far enough along to compete on features and quality alone. IMHO few people are going to buy at the same price they can get OEM or known brands even if they Chinese stuff is better featured.

Lets face it, most of the time these features are are " interesting" but you are unlikely to use more than one of them.
When you are competing against your own product like the V860 or the even cheaper speedlights that have much the same features, I think the price point needs to be very carefully considered if you want to see any return on the R&D of your new offering.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:15 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Here are some numbers on the AD200, as tested by Ed from Cheetah. Looks promising! I love that the bare bulb and fresnel head are reading the same on the light meter. The fresnel heaed, IIRC, is a fixed zoom at 35mm, so a fairly wide pattern as well. I read somewhere that by not having a zoom head, they were able to put more space around the bulb for cooling.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

BSPhotog wrote:
Here are some numbers on the AD200, as tested by Ed from Cheetah. Looks promising! I love that the bare bulb and fresnel head are reading the same on the light meter. The fresnel heaed, IIRC, is a fixed zoom at 35mm, so a fairly wide pattern as well. I read somewhere that by not having a zoom head, they were able to put more space around the bulb for cooling.

That's packing a pretty good wallop.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:06 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

They need to make a unit like this that is 3x more powerful so it can compete with a Profoto B1 and then I will be in heaven.

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

BSPhotog wrote:

What looks to be almost 2 stops above a speedlight is impressive. Why do the 360 and 600 have the same result though?

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:17 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Mark_L wrote:
Why do the 360 and 600 have the same result though?

Was wondering the same thing, typo? Or is the 600x over priced and the 360x a great buy?

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:37 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

MRomine wrote:
Was wondering the same thing, typo? Or is the 600x over priced and the 360x a great buy?

Maybe the 360 has a higher profit margin?

Feb 14, 2017 at 01:53 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Godox :: the hits just keep on coming

Interesting territory. Somewhere between a barebulb flash and a strobe. Would be a nice addition for the heavy hitting magmod folks out there.

Feb 14, 2017 at 02:00 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.