New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

VINCET
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

I'm very drawn to this camera and I like the form factor. Never did like the menu system of the Oly but can tolerate it. What I like to know is when focusing a manual focus lens. If I remember correctly, with the E-M5 Mk II, I press a fn button to magnify the view, but instead of pressing the shutter half way to go back to normal view, I have to press the fn button again to go back to full frame. Is this the same for the E-M1 Mk II?

Jan 05, 2017 at 01:17 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

Disclaimer: I haven't explored all settings to their limit. Right now, after having access to the camera for four days, I have set magnification to one of the FN buttons.

Press the button once and you get the frame showing what part of the image will be zoomed in when you press the button a second time. In zoom in position the image stays enlarged until you press the button again.
You can take images while zoomed in. Doing so returns you to the zoomed in view after the exposure.
All this works the same with a native lens as well (more options available though about MF and AF in different combinations).

The camera's behaviour in this case can be good or it can be bad - it depends on what you are doing. I haven't found any way in the menu to set the camera to go back to the whole, not enlarged, view, after half pressing the shutter button when in manually chosen enlarged view.

I hope somebody chimes in telling us how to do this.

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:25 PM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

You can change the level of magnification(5x,7x,10x,14x) while in magnified view by turning the rear dial. Do note that the AF box may now be a different size when you exit.

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:54 PM
VINCET
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

With some other system, when you half depress the shutter button, it takes you out of the magnified view and back to the whole screen. I know it is just one more push of a button with the Oly but I wished that have a way to by pass that and just allow you to use the half depress the shutter.

I was kinda expecting that since that is how the E-M5 Mk II function.

Thanks

Vince

Jan 05, 2017 at 06:16 PM
nma
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

If we mean "old fashioned" manual focus, this is available via the Oly Pro lenses with the focus clutch. Engaging the clutch is accomplished by pushing/pulling the focus/aperture ring on the lens, simulating manual focusing without increasing magnification. It works very well IMO.

Jan 05, 2017 at 08:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

VINCET
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

I mean really old fashion manual focus only lens. Yeah, using the Oly pro lens is great with that feature but I have a bunch of Leica R glass that I like to use.

Jan 06, 2017 at 12:05 AM
nma
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

Hi Vincet,

If you have an adapter for your Leica's they will focus manually, just like the pro lenses Probably no auto focus, though.

Jan 06, 2017 at 02:34 AM
Lleuallen

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

Menu Cog D2 LV Close Up Mode set to mode 1 will give you what you want. From magnified view, a half press of the shutter button will return you to the normal view.

Larry

Jan 09, 2017 at 06:50 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

Thank you Lleuallen. I missed that when scrolling through the menu as well as when checking the manual. Great.
I wonder what more there is. I'll have to repeat reading the manual. Ouch.

Jan 10, 2017 at 04:38 PM
Lleuallen

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Manual focusing with E-M1 Mark II

Oh, there is more! I prefer the Panasonic focusing system because back button focus implementation is infinitely better than Oly. Further, I have a hard time seeing the focusing rectangle in many situations, it is not prominent enough so I resorted to using magnify which gives a good bright green rectangle. I set magnify to a button and press it once and get the focus rectangle. I rarely press it again to get the actual magnified view. Problem is that is is often automatically turned off and I have to keep pressing the button. No solution for that.

The dim focus rectangle problem has been solved. Under Cogs D3 > Grid Settings you have Preset 1 and Preset 2. Select one of them and expand. You see three settings R, G, and B. They are set 38, 38, 38 and the brightness is 75%. Select one color and jack it up to 255 and set the others to 0, I chose red. Set the brightness to 100%. Make sure that preset is selected. Now the grid lines will be too prominent so turn them off (second menu item down), the color remains and colors the focus rectangle.

Now that shows up on the monitor and we want it to show in the EVF. To do this, the EVF must be set to Style 3 (Cog I {eye} > EVF Style) and the Apply Settings EVF must be on.

I had to give up Grid Lines but it was worth it.

To set up back button focus go to Cog A1 > AEL/AFL. For S-AF set it to Mode 1. For MF set it to Mode 3. Now when you set S-AF, it will focus and a half press. Change to MF and it will focus on whatever button you have assigned for AEL/AFL, I use the default. I have assigned a button to MF so that when you press it, it toggles between S-AF and MF thus activating back button or half press. The glitch is that when you switch to MF there is no focus rectangle and you have to press magnify to get one. OK, so I want to be able to switch between back button and half press quickly I'll put up with that. To get the Magnify focus rectangle quickly I set it to the Fn2 button which is prominent and easy to reach.

Contrast this with the Panasonic method. There is a button on the back labeled AF/AE Lock. I have is set to AF lock. Press it and it focuses and the focus is locked. The focus rectangle turns a prominent green. Half press now does nothing. Want half press? Press the AF/AE Lock button again, the focus rectangle returns to normal (much more visible than Oly) and you can half press. The minor drawback is that if you are focus locked and want to focus lock on another spot, you must press the button twice, big deal. This is why I reach for my GX8 in many situations.

Larry

I forgot to mention that when set to MF, a slight touch of the focusing ring will throw you into magnified view. Very annoying when using AF. So go to A3 > MF Assist and turn Magnify Off. You can still manual focus and use the MF Assist because it is set on Fn2 which is easy to get. Remember this is a set up for auto focus. If you need to MF because it is a MF lens, then the whole set up would be different. I would probable set it up the variations in Custom Modes.

Also this set up was easier and less complicated the the EM-1 mark 1 version where you could do the switch with the lever. I was pissed when I saw that they removed this option.

Jan 10, 2017 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password