Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

PhotoMaximum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

Hi All,

I am looking for a new light and hope some of you might have suggestions.

I have a Canon 5D mk IV as my main system and a Sony a7RII. I have a bunch of seldom used Buff White Lightning Ultras, several older Nikon Speedlites and several new/old Canon Speedlites. I am a "Swiss Army Knife" photographer in that I shoot a wide variety of subjects.

I would like to get a semi powerful battery(rechargeable) powered strobe that offers a wide range of light coverage options. Wireless is a must but TTL not essential. I need this light to be comfortable for hand held use and on a stand with various modifier options.

One shoot I have coming up is to photograph a really high end house on an island. At this point I am not sure if I will be taking my car on a ferry or flying in a small plane. If I fly I need to pack a very compact kit. I dislike straight HDR for real estate work and am used to using several Speedlites. This time I would like to try using some kind of wide bare bulb/dome diffused strobe to help with exposure and color balance.

I would like to keep the budget under $1000 if possible?

Any tips would be most welcome.

TIA...

Jan 04, 2017 at 04:21 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

@PhotoMaximum, I use the Profoto AcuteB: studio-grade lighting, 600J, battery. It comes with a shoulder strap, although a backpack might be more comfortable for extended use. Battery options include SLA (heavy, cheap) and LiFe (light, expensive). The flash tube is enclosed in Profoto's trademark frosted glass dome for beautiful, omnidirectional illumination. I generate ambient all the time with bare bulb, but it takes full power at ISO 100, f.5,6 to handle a 200 sq.ft. room. The AcuteB is technically discontinued, but widely available new or used. One is listed currently on FM (with AcuteB head) for $1K.

Jan 04, 2017 at 08:00 PM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

I have six of these

They have been dead reliable and the triggers superb. Great range and adjustability from the camera.

There are TTL versions but they are more and the menus are far more complex. Good units though as the receivers are integrated.

I shoot all high end homes and these are perfect for ease of placement, power and long battery life.
PM me if you would like to see my site.

Jan 05, 2017 at 12:40 AM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

markd61 wrote:
I have six of these

They have been dead reliable and the triggers superb. Great range and adjustability from the camera.

There are TTL versions but they are more and the menus are far more complex. Good units though as the receivers are integrated.

I shoot all high end homes and these are perfect for ease of placement, power and long battery life.
PM me if you would like to see my site.

Delighted to read of your satisfaction with these units - have copied your comments to our Flashpoint tech and development team, and I know they will be delighted.

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:17 AM
PhotoMaximum
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

^^ thanks to all. I will be doing more reading...

Jan 05, 2017 at 02:29 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

Another vote for the AcuteB. Very small, light, powerful and 100% reliable. Since advent of the B1/B2 the prices on used ones have tanked and they are probably one of the best bargains out there in high-end location packs. You can readily find complete clean kits for under $1K.

Jan 05, 2017 at 07:51 AM
markd61
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

Another thing in favor of the Streaklights is the user replaceable tube.
Haven't needed one yet but they are reasonably priced and pop in and out in an instant.

The Profotos are good units but service and parts are expensive.

Jan 05, 2017 at 09:59 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

Elinchrom Quadra or Profot B2. Best lights, best modifiers.

Jan 05, 2017 at 05:04 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which semi-powerful battery powered strobe for wide coverage?

rico wrote:
@PhotoMaximum@, I use the Profoto AcuteB: studio-grade lighting, 600J, battery. It comes with a shoulder strap, although a backpack might be more comfortable for extended use. Battery options include SLA (heavy, cheap) and LiFe (light, expensive). The flash tube is enclosed in Profoto's trademark frosted glass dome for beautiful, omnidirectional illumination. I generate ambient all the time with bare bulb, but it takes full power at ISO 100, f.5,6 to handle a 200 sq.ft. room. The AcuteB is technically discontinued, but widely available new or used. One is listed currently on FM (with AcuteB head) for $1K.

I have the B2 600r and love it. I'd never trade it for the new B1, B2 stuff from profoto.

Jan 05, 2017 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.