Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

I took some movies with my 1DXII and I can play them in my camera but cant play them in my computer....do I need a special program to play them?
help!

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

I should add that the movies out of our 7DII play no problem......like I said this shouldnt be this hard....

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:46 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

I should add, Windows 10.....

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:47 PM
WarrenL
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Depends on the computer! There is a lot of data in the video files.

What is your OS? What program are you using to watch them?

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:48 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

WarrenL wrote:
Depends on the computer! There is a lot of data in the video files.

What is your OS? What program are you using to watch them?

Windows 10, Windows Media Player

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:54 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Windows Media Player is not the best option.

Try EOS MOVIE Utility 1.6 for Windows which will play the videos:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x-mark-ii?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

WarrenL wrote:
Windows Media Player is not the best option.

Try EOS MOVIE Utility 1.6 for Windows which will play the videos:
https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x-mark-ii?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

I can play the movie now and I can hear it as well...but it looks jittery, the best way to describe it where in the camera it is smooth.....I am trying to figure out what setting and where that setting might be......help?

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:17 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Have you tried to play the video from the camera using a HDMI cable to your TV?

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:55 PM
WarrenL
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

The other option is to use editing software and convert it to H264 or another codec that is easier for your computer to play.

What video setting did you use? 1080P, 4K, 4K60?

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:57 PM
jwalker
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

If your video was shot in 4k you most likely will have trouble playing it on your computer unless you have a really robust system. It's just the nature of 4k. Google specs for computers that will play/edit 4k video well and you'll see what you need.

JW

Jan 03, 2017 at 10:06 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

For 4k playback as other have states you need a quite powerful machine. Modern i7 + good GPU. Also you must realize that 4k 60p is double the amount of data being displayed than of 4k 30p so first thing to try is 4k 30p.
Converting it to h264 may help just a bit depending on the player/settings that you are using, but in my experience is almost worst. For editing in in Resolve h264 is terrible, MJPEG works quite well.

Last make sure that you are not reading the video file from a single HD that can be the bottleneck. A SSD or playing directly from a USB 3.0 CFast card reader will work.

As a reference a Notebook with i7 4810MQ with a Nvidia Quadro M2000 2GB can playback 4k 30p in real-time in both EOS Movie and Resolve. A i7 4790 with a GTX 980 can play back 4k 60p MJPEG in real-time in EOS Movie and Resolve.

I would say that a CPU that can do more than 8000 in this benchmark http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html and GTX 970,980,1070 or 1080 will do.

For 4k editing a i7 6800 with a GTX 1070 8GB and SSD is a good starting point.

PS: I edit 1DX II 4k MJPEG video every week.

Jan 04, 2017 at 05:45 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

gt3rs wrote:
For 4k playback as other have states you need a quite powerful machine. Modern i7 + good GPU. Also you must realize that 4k 60p is double the amount of data being displayed than of 4k 30p so first thing to try is 4k 30p.
Converting it to h264 may help just a bit depending on the player/settings that you are using, but in my experience is almost worst. For editing in in Resolve h264 is terrible, MJPEG works quite well.

Last make sure that you are not reading the video file from a single HD that can be the bottleneck. A
...Show more
I have the Surface Studio with all options so it is fully loaded with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GPU GDDR5 memory and Quad-core 6th Gen Intel Core i7. and 32GB ram.

I tried to use the CFast card and reader to play back and it still didnt look right...made me feel nauseated to wtch much. After looking at the camera, since i really hadnt used video it seems that I had the 4K at make speed running...perhaps that is part of the problem. I noticed that even though I have dual card being written to with redundant info, there we not any videos on the non CFast card so that would probably serve to confirm that I had the max 4K video recording..

I will admit that I should have known ahead of time what I was doing, but I didnt think (UGH!) it was a big deal....now I know. I will adjust the settings and try a few more videos....I might also try to get a HDMI cable that matches the camera and my TV. I have a 4K Sony 75" TV....so maybe the camera will be able to pump it out. As I said it looks fine on the camera...just when I try to play it on my new Surface Studio monitor. The monitor is a sight to behold and the photos look great on it...portions of the video look great as well....so I will slow down the 4K and see how that goes....stay tuned!!!

And thanks to everyone that has provided comments here, it is very much appreciated!

Jan 04, 2017 at 01:19 PM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

so I adjusted the Movie settings in the camera and that made the difference....I will get the cable I need and give a try direct from camera to TV.....might be a while until I get the right cable.....but I will go down that road and see......thanks to everyone again....problem....operator error!

Jan 04, 2017 at 01:37 PM
gt3rs
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Herb wrote:
I have the Surface Studio with all options so it is fully loaded with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M 4GB GPU GDDR5 memory and Quad-core 6th Gen Intel Core i7. and 32GB ram.

I tried to use the CFast card and reader to play back and it still didnt look right...made me feel nauseated to wtch much. After looking at the camera, since i really hadnt used video it seems that I had the 4K at make speed running...perhaps that is part of the problem. I noticed that even though I have dual card being written to with redundant info, there we
...Show more

The Surface Studio 4 core cpu and the GTX 980M should do it but the Studio uses a hybrid HD so it can be the bottle neck. CFast USB 3.0 reader will do it. ¨

As far as I know the 1dx II hdmi is 1080p only so yes you will be able to watch the movie directly from the camera on a TV but it will not be 4k. In record mode I'm 100% sure is 1080p only in playback I never tested but I doubt it will be 4k

Jan 05, 2017 at 08:24 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

Check oout vlc player. It will play any file.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:09 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · This shouldnt be this hard...but playing movies from 1DXII...help!

The native 4k video produced by the 1dx2 are very taxing to even very powerful computers. Your best bet is to re encode them to a different format. I have a subscription to Adobe, so use Premiere Pro, but found a program called Wondershare Video Converter that does a great job of converting the 4k to 1080 and makes them very use to watch and is much easier to use than Primiere Pro. There is a trial version to play with. In PP, I convert them to a different 4k format (can't recall which one off hand), but that also makes them much easier to view. I just got a 4k monitor, so now I can experiment some.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:31 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.