Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

kaitlyn2004
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Will be heading to Australia + New Zealand soon and very excited for the landscape opportunities. I hope I'm not overlooking something - are there obvious great opportunities apart from the landscapes?

I have a full frame 5D and my current lenses are:
- 16-35 F4L
- 100 F2.8L Macro
- 24-105 F4L
- 100-400 F4.5-5.6L
- Sigma 351.4 Art

On my trip to Japan+Korea+Thailand I took the 16-35, 24-105 and 35.

I was thinking that for this trip, perhaps the ideal combo would be the 16-35 that I have and add either my existing 100-400 or a 70-200 (F4... can't think that the f2.8 would add a ton of value for this trip?)

What do you guys think would be a good lens kit for traveling to these two countries?

Jan 03, 2017 at 03:46 PM
wbrad
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Can you take three lenses? You might miss the gap in the middle. I'd take 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200. Only take the 100-400 if you are planning on shooting wildlife but size and weight could become an issue.

Wayne

Jan 03, 2017 at 04:26 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

wbrad wrote:
Can you take three lenses? You might miss the gap in the middle. I'd take 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200. Only take the 100-400 if you are planning on shooting wildlife but size and weight could become an issue.

Wayne

Yeah, I wonder about the gap between 35-70, but wonder if that's enough of a concern. Getting wider can be difficult, but often if I wished to get closer than the 35, hopefully I'd be able to throw on the 70 and just be further back...

I don't exactly have a limit on lenses, but don't want to bring more than I need. I enjoy my 35 prime but I just don't think it would get used on this specific trip...

Jan 03, 2017 at 04:41 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
Yeah, I wonder about the gap between 35-70, but wonder if that's enough of a concern. Getting wider can be difficult, but often if I wished to get closer than the 35, hopefully I'd be able to throw on the 70 and just be further back...

I don't exactly have a limit on lenses, but don't want to bring more than I need. I enjoy my 35 prime but I just don't think it would get used on this specific trip...

I think Wayne gave the best suggestion with his list. You don't want a suitcase full of lenses, but the 3 he listed are just common sense lenses yo bring when traveling.

And don't forget to bring your tripod.

Jim

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:11 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

And don't forget to bring your tripod.

Jim

Neverrrr! Although it's broken right now.. still trying to figure out WHAT'S actually wrong with it

Jan 03, 2017 at 11:10 PM
mcaruso753

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Hi,

Australia's coasts give great opportunities for seascapes, definitely don't overlook them. I live in Sydney now and can say Sydney's Northern Beaches are just great for that at sunrise.

I'd say the 16-35, 24-105 and 70-200 would be a great combo to have on a trip here. There are a lot of great parrots/birds/wildlife here that are fun to shoot too, if you're ever into that.

There is a group here that meets up every Saturday in Northern Sydney for sunrise called FOCUS that you can find on Facebook if you'd like to meet up with a group while you're here for a shoot and a good breakfast. If you find yourself needing to borrow a tripod there's no doubt to be someone in the group with a spare for you to borrow, just let someone know ahead of time .

Cheers,
Mark

Jan 04, 2017 at 06:24 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

I've been there for a great trip 4years ago and it was as much an adventure as a photography trip.
( had been to many different locations and also visited the Melbourne Cup horse race, where I almost
a thousand pictures).
Back to your question- I had a Nikon D800, 17-35mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 105 2.8 macro, and
70-200 2.8 .
Looking on my pictures taken there I have to say I sometimes wished for an even wider option for the many fantastic landscapes there, and sometimes I wished I had a converter ( 1.4) for the tele-zoom.
The wildlife there is absolutely amazing and I can only recommend taking your 100-400mm with you -
It will be of great use and will also be very handy for landscape shots here and there.
If you like to shoot some astrophotography then I would also advice taking the Sigma 35mm 1.4 with you, as I was told that it is really great for these kind of shots as well. It will also be great for general and available light photography.
Of course it all depends on your style of shooting - perhaps you really like the versatility of your 24-105mm, and it is probably a really good lens I guess, but somehow this would be the lens I would leave home, if I was in your position. You can do almost everything with the other lenses and to get the 50mm focal length you could crop pictures taken with the 35mm.
If you are not too much interested in macro you could also leave the 100mm at home - but I would personally miss this one as an optically great little Tele for many opportunities.
A tripod will serve you well - I took so many great photos of waterfalls with ND filters and long exposure time using mine, and of course I used it for astrophotography as well as for shooting the total eclipse back then.
So If you like shooting the great wildlife as well, don't leave your 100-400mm.

In any case you can be looking forward to this trip!
I still have so many pictures of it in my mind and they are linked to great emotions too.
Only take care of snakes when being in the outback on small tracks or hiking trough the grass-
Always use firm high ankle hiking shoes and perhaps even firm jeans, depending on the temperatures.
I was extremely careful in the first days and even after some weeks there, but for I did not come across a single snake I was getting more relaxed and in the end almost stepped on a very very little Taipan on my way to Ayers Rock - and funny enough it was so small it literally jumped off the track and escaped to one side and I jumped back to the other one. (. As if we had an agreement not to harm each other).

Wish you an amazing and astonishing journey!
Enjoy down under, it is really special!

Edited on Jan 04, 2017 at 11:02 AM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2017 at 07:05 AM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

I lived in Australia for a few years and based on my experience there, I would recommend to travel as light as possible. The deserts and rainforests can be boiling hot, and you will regret every single ounce that you have to haul around. If I were you, I would take the 24-104 and the 100-400mm with me. That covers the range (from wide angle to tele) that you will need to shoot great landscapes and even greater wildlife. Make sure to seal your gear as tightly as you can while you carry it around. The fine red dust in the Outback as well as the humidity in the tropics gets everywhere.

-Phil

Jan 04, 2017 at 10:54 AM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

I love my 100-400, but not so sure I'd be bringing it on this trip (in favor of a much smaller/lighter 70-200 F4)

I used to shoot wildlife more, but not much anymore... would the 100-400 (moreso beyond 200mm) only really be good for wildlife? I know when I was in newfoundland I was shooting landscapes with icebergs in them at 400mm...

Jan 04, 2017 at 12:01 PM
went
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Hi Kaitlyn, to some extent it depends where your'e going, I've recently returned on an 8 day trip with a group of professional Chinese photographers, wanting to go some where not so touristy locations and we went from Akld - Nelson - Collingwood - Picton - Blenheim - Kaikoura - Hanmer Springs - Reefton - Greymouth - Hokitika - Westport - Murchison - Nelson - Akld, (top half of the South Island) just before the earthquake, I took 1500 photos & the others say x 10 about 15,000 photos in total. The group had Canon, Nikon & Sony high end gear aprox $10K/person. Our transport a 12 seater Mini bus rental perfect for 10 people. A mix of weather but we shot pre sun rise, during the day, at sun set & night skies, take camera weather protection, a good quality travel tripod, trampling boots, wet weather gear, sun glasses, a hat, insect repellent & sun tan lotion, our sun burns down here. We stayed in book a batch, && air B&B all great. Took D750 & D600, 14-24 2.8, 24-120 F4.0, 80-400 Nikon G Series & MeFoto A2350 tripod shot RAW processed with Adobe CC LR & PS, We all had an awesome trip, take a cellphone as you can imagine they all use WeChat with their iPhone 6+'s.

Enjoy Regards Went

Jan 04, 2017 at 02:39 PM
kaitlyn2004
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

went wrote:
]Took D750 & D600, 14-24 2.8, 24-120 F4.0, 80-400 Nikon G Series & MeFoto A2350 tripod shot RAW processed with Adobe CC LR & PS,
Enjoy Regards Went

Thanks I'll look into those locations! Have you posted your photos anywhere?

Also with your 80-400 - were you shooting out towards 400 much? What subject matter?

Jan 04, 2017 at 02:42 PM
PhilPDX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

kaitlyn2004 wrote:
would the 100-400 (moreso beyond 200mm) only really be good for wildlife?

No, of course not. There are many areas in both NZ and Australia that you cannot reach on foot or by car, or which are off limits for visitors (like some very beautiful and interesting areas around Uluru/Ayers Rock and Kata Tjuta/Olgas for example), so a long lens is really beneficial.

Except for the occasional Kea in the mountainous areas of the South Island and some seals and penguins, NZ doesn't have much native wildlife left, but Australia has so much to offer that you would certainly regret not having brought the 100-400.

-Phil

Jan 04, 2017 at 03:40 PM
went
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Hi Kaitlyn, yes about 50% 70-200, & 50% 270-400

Jan 04, 2017 at 05:21 PM
went
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

Supporting photos for trip to the top half of the South Island
Regards Went

© went 2017

Coal Creek Greymouth

© went 2017

Hokitika Gorge Glacial River West Coast side of Southern Alps

© went 2017

Collingwood River-mouth early morning in the rain

© went 2017

Punakaiki Boulders on the West Coast

© went 2017

Reefton Old Gold & Coal mining settlers houses from the mid 1850's

Jan 04, 2017 at 05:56 PM
melcat
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which lenses for AUS+NZ?

I think you should consider taking your 100mm macro lens for insects, reptiles and flowers in Australia. Those (and the birds) are probably the things you'll find most stunning coming from Canada. Insects, reptiles and birds are most of the wildlife you'll see in the wild here in Australia. The mammals tend to be nocturnal or crepuscular, which makes photographing them harder (other than in zoos, of course).

From your existing lenses, and for the Australian leg of the trip, I'd take the 16–35mm f/4 IS, the 100mm macro, and maybe the 100–400 for birds (if that's your thing and you're skilled at bird photography - otherwise, just some binos).

Jan 06, 2017 at 03:55 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.