New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

G85 - A Very Nice Camera Indeed

jhinkey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · G85 - A Very Nice Camera Indeed

Grabbed a Pany G85 right before the Holidays primarily for use while skiing - cold, damp, etc. - something my GX7 was never really meant to handle (but still did). Traded in a bunch of gear (including my G5 and LX7) that I had not picked up in a year, so effectively cost me nothing . . .

So far:
- Great IBIS both during video and with stills, both with and without OIS glass
- Great IBIS performance with adapted glass - excellent with my 135/3.4 APO Telyt
- Video has far surpassed my expectations, even in low light
- AF performance with my 42.5/1.2 and 75/1.8 is excellent
- EVF is great
- Weatherproof so far
- Battery life is as expected for mirrorless - not great, but not terrible either
- Back button ergonomics working well
- Like the articulated screen - primarily because I can flip it around to the closed position when needed
- Have not tried the touch screen - not really a touch screen kind of person for cameras
- Love the mechanical shutter - smooth and quiet!
- EVF lag is low and the high speed shutter works well

So far it's been a very positive experience and is a worthy replacement for my E-M1 (sold 6 months ago) which was my skiing camera (but I could not get along with the Oly UI or externals). It doesn't feel as bullet-proof constructed as the E-M1, but then again I'll not likely be pushing the mechanical robustness and water-proof-ness to a great extent.

A few things that would be nice to have:
- Native ISO 100
- Faster mechanical shutter speed (or ISO 100)
- 20MP (but that's a minor quibble)

Looking forward to seeing other people's experience with this camera and of course their images.

- J

Jan 03, 2017 at 05:36 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · G85 - A Very Nice Camera Indeed

Thanks for sharing!

There was a post on 43rumors with a "year end" review of the Panasonic GX85. It is pretty subjective, but I think it is an overview of the 5 Axis IBIS anx Dual IS for 4k video. So most of the comments should apply equally to the G85:

"The GX85 is the best camera of the year, according to Hugh Brownstone"

http://www.43rumors.com/the-g85-is-the-best-camera-of-the-year-for-hugh-broiwnstone/

+++

Plus, DPRewiew said that the G85 is the "best mid range interchangeable lens camera":

Best mid-range ILC

Winner: Panasonic Lumix DMC- G85

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/8938321250/dpreview-products-of-the-year-2016

Actual review here:

https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g85-g80

+++

I think Panasonic could get a lot more press and a lot more traction if they would differentiate their camera names. Especially with people who are new to Panasonic and M 4/3.

Go ask anyone to explain the difference between the GX8, GX85, and G85. How do those compare to the GX80 and G80?

Absolutely meaningles and confusing naming scheme for most people.

I just realized when reading the review of the G85 that it is the updated G7. I owned the G7 and I didn't realize that, or that it was more of an "SLR-like" body. Versus the "rangefinder-like" GX8 and GX85.

Jan 04, 2017 at 05:03 PM
Sgt_Gatr
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · G85 - A Very Nice Camera Indeed

I just got this camera and it is indeed very nice. The focusing is the fastest I have ever used and I have tested the D500. I am not sure why this camera doesn't get more attention. Maybe the fact that it isn't very good looking?

The files seem pretty good and the buffer for raw or jpeg is ridiculous. I shot over 130 jpeg files before I released the shutter. The camera could have kept going but I didn't want to have to erase all the images. For raw it will do at least 40-50 images. The tracking seems pretty decent as well. Also the dual i.s. is a dream. The video is unbelievably stable.

Just my 2 cents.

Panasonic knocked it out of the park and as far as I am concerned this makes the em1 mark ii obsolete given the $1100 price difference.

Jan 30, 2017 at 01:53 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · G85 - A Very Nice Camera Indeed

Sgt_Gatr wrote:
I just got this camera and it is indeed very nice. The focusing is the fastest I have ever used and I have tested the D500. I am not sure why this camera doesn't get more attention. Maybe the fact that it isn't very good looking?

The files seem pretty good and the buffer for raw or jpeg is ridiculous. I shot over 130 jpeg files before I released the shutter. The camera could have kept going but I didn't want to have to erase all the images. For raw it will do at least 40-50 images. The tracking seems pretty
...Show more

Yes, the E-M1 MKII is getting all the press, but the G85 does it all for me except for PDAF if I wanted to use 43 lenses which desperately need it. Much happier with the G85 and glad I sold my E-M1 some time ago.

Now I would be ecstatic if Oly came out with a 150/2 replacement to complement the excellent 75/1.8.

Jan 30, 2017 at 03:33 PM

FM Forums | Micro Four Thirds Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password