New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Solar Eclipse 2017

Mickey
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Solar Eclipse 2017

AUGUST 21, 2017

A total solar eclipse visible only in the United States along a line from Oregon to South Carolina.

I think it would be very helpful to those of us interested in photographing this once in a lifetime event if those of you living along the centerline of totality could post information on good places to shoot from, stay, camp, etc. Possibly even have a get togather somewhere. Below is a link to a state by state listing showing the centerline. We'll only have about 2 and a half minutes of totality (at centerline) so better be ready.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/best-places-to-view/

AUGUST 21, 2017. Put the date on your calander and get ready. There is preparation that must be done (filters) and reading up on the process.

Mickey

Edited on Mar 06, 2017 at 01:52 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2017 at 04:50 PM
Keith B.
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Solar Eclipse 2017

I'll be going to central Oregon, closest on the path to my home location, Southern California.
Reports are that hotel/motel rooms in western Oregon are mostly booked, but up to $950/night for those that are still available.
Needless to say, I plan to camp out at as remote a location as is possible.

Jan 07, 2017 at 09:30 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Solar Eclipse 2017

The path of totality runs right over my house. I have no plans to photograph the event but I do hope to experience the eclipse, it has been a while since I've seen one. I suppose as the day nears I might change my mind about photos and I'm sure I'll scout a location just in case the weather and everything else falls in place to get a few photos.

Jan 07, 2017 at 07:43 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Solar Eclipse 2017

I'll be in Jackson Hole, WY for the eclipse. If there are any folks from the area who can suggest good locations for shooting the eclipse in and around the area, that would be very helpful. I'll be driving, so if there are any suggestions within a reasonable driving distance from Jackson Hole, those would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Jan 19, 2017 at 08:06 PM
Monkey Falls
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Solar Eclipse 2017

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting excited about the eclipse. It seems Canon DLC is as well.

Canon DLC

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:59 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Solar Eclipse 2017

NCAndy wrote:
The path of totality runs right over my house. I have no plans to photograph the event but I do hope to experience the eclipse, it has been a while since I've seen one. I suppose as the day nears I might change my mind about photos and I'm sure I'll scout a location just in case the weather and everything else falls in place to get a few photos.

It looks like it will go pretty much right over Standing Indian Campground up in your area, which I've heard is pretty nice.
I will prob go scope some areas in the spring and summer, try to find a cool location to take the wife and kid for the eclipse.
I plan on trying to get tickets to the clingman's dome event as a backup, and if I can't figure out someplace cooler to go (for free), we will do that. If/when I find that better place, I'll cancel my tickets for that.

Feb 27, 2017 at 09:08 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Solar Eclipse 2017

ISO1600 wrote:
It looks like it will go pretty much right over Standing Indian Campground up in your area, which I've heard is pretty nice.
I will prob go scope some areas in the spring and summer, try to find a cool location to take the wife and kid for the eclipse.
I plan on trying to get tickets to the clingman's dome event as a backup, and if I can't figure out someplace cooler to go (for free), we will do that. If/when I find that better place, I'll cancel my tickets for that.

Problem is Standing Indian Campground is in the woods. It would be a good spot to base and there are a few good lookouts near that area that aren't hard to get to. I think it's going to be crazy though, if you think people are nuts on a full moon I expect this will be to the tenth power crazy.

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:25 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Solar Eclipse 2017

I found a spot on maps that I'm gonna shoot for as a hike or camp destination from Bryson city or Alarka.

Feb 28, 2017 at 01:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Solar Eclipse 2017

Thinking I might try for a first-come campsite at Craters of the Moon the day before, then find a not-too-busy spot along a forest road north of Mckay. If weather suggests that the Idaho mountains may generate clouds, a detour to far eastern Wyoming should provide clear skies.

EDIT
Now leaning toward the Wind River mountains in Wyo. Pretty scenery and much nicer temperatures.

Edited on Jun 01, 2017 at 03:07 AM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2017 at 01:45 AM
Henry W
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Solar Eclipse 2017

Monkey Falls wrote:
I'll be in Jackson Hole, WY for the eclipse. If there are any folks from the area who can suggest good locations for shooting the eclipse in and around the area, that would be very helpful. I'll be driving, so if there are any suggestions within a reasonable driving distance from Jackson Hole, those would also be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd try to find a spot with no trees overhead.

Mar 01, 2017 at 10:11 PM
Unclejoe1116
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Solar Eclipse 2017

I'm based in VA, so I'm thinking about heading down to the Smokey Mountains in the Tennessee/South Carolina/North Carolina region. I'll have two bodies then, so I'm thinking one wide, to capture some mountain views, and then one tele, getting just the sun.

Mar 03, 2017 at 05:57 PM
Mickey
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Solar Eclipse 2017

My plan is similar to unclejoes. One camera with ultra-wide to catch the phases leading in and out of totality with some foreground and one with a telephoto for just totality. I'm also making reservation in two far apart locations in case of bad weather conditions. If you do that make sure you can cancel those reservations without it costing you. We should be able to trust the weather forecast within two or three days leading up to the 21st.

Mar 06, 2017 at 02:02 PM
billsamuels
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Solar Eclipse 2017

Keith B. wrote:
I'll be going to central Oregon, closest on the path to my home location, Southern California.
Reports are that hotel/motel rooms in western Oregon are mostly booked, but up to $950/night for those that are still available.
Needless to say, I plan to camp out at as remote a location as is possible.

I'm probably too late because all I can find between western Oregon and western Idaho are the rooms going from $650/night on up. I wanted to take my son on this rare event that's not that far from home and because of my health, I may not be around for the 2022 eclipse.

Does anyone have a campsite reserved they would be willing to share, or if they're taking off into the National Forest off-road, can we join you? I have a Subaru Forester and a lot of off-road experience, but I don't know Oregon well enough to go camping overnight with my 16 year old son by ourselves.

Thanks. - Bill

May 22, 2017 at 03:10 AM
crteach
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Solar Eclipse 2017

The centerline is just a few miles from my home and I've already got some family lined up to visit along with having purchased some good filters for the event!

May 27, 2017 at 01:53 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Solar Eclipse 2017

billsamuels wrote:
I'm probably too late because all I can find between western Oregon and western Idaho are the rooms going from $650/night on up. I wanted to take my son on this rare event that's not that far from home and because of my health, I may not be around for the 2022 eclipse.

Does anyone have a campsite reserved they would be willing to share, or if they're taking off into the National Forest off-road, can we join you? I have a Subaru Forester and a lot of off-road experience, but I don't know Oregon well enough to go camping overnight
...Show more
Bill, I don't know dickety-weenie about central and eastern Oregon, but I'm researching using maps(both free online and bought) and InterWeb data as available. The Benchmark Oregon Road And Recreation Guide is an excellent way to begin your planning. Combine that with one of the [free]eclipse path maps at
Good eclipse maps
and you can certainly position yourself right in the path. I'd tell you where I am planning to go but I don't know yet!

Jun 05, 2017 at 06:24 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password