Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/androi...

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

Looking for something like camranger that can auto-transfer images to a tablet or computer.

What I'm looking for is instant and auto transfer of each picture as I take it. I want them to go to a gallery on my ipad, android or folder that lightroom is monitoring. I don't want to manually intervene because I'm often shooting in a situation where a client is monitoring the photos and I don't want to have to explain to them how to click on thumbnails and open them. I just want them to automagically open up full screen on the tablet or in lightroom. Lightroom can do this already if it's monitoring a folder that the images get auto-transferred to.

I also shoot in raw and med jpg so I'd want only the jpg image to auto transfer.

Is cam ranger the only solution that does this?

I was previously using eyefi and shuttersnitch which work well but eyefi no longer supports in software the version of the card I purchased and I'm not going to give them more money by buying a new version of the card which continues to work fine on my ipad but not my tablet or notebook computer because they no longer support the app.

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:53 AM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

Try DSLRController app on the Android. You can add a TP-MR3040 wifi router and you have the same functionality as a camranger. Only problem is it works on android only and not iOS.

Jan 04, 2017 at 01:27 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

just ordered the router and donated to the software author.

Jan 04, 2017 at 07:08 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

i got the 3040 router and DSLRController. So far so good. It's a little quirky to get the custom firmware downloaded and to get the app setup but it works. I have a photosession today and I'm going to use it on my windows 10 notebook to transfer images as I'm shooting. Hopefully it works, lol. It was working while testing it but occasionally I'd get it into some mode where it no longer transferred files and I had to quit and re-enter the program but I think it's user-error on my part.

Part of the problem is that the documentation is poor and there are no tooltips.

Jan 08, 2017 at 10:33 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

unfortunately, it's a total #fail. It crashes badly when I hook my notebook computer up to HDMI and I can't get it to transfer the files with it running in the background and then switching to HDMI.

Jan 08, 2017 at 04:58 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

so , if I connect to the router with qdd without the hdmi cable plugged in and then bring up another program that is full screen (such as lightroom), I can plug the HDMI cable back in and it will transfer files in the background and all is good. However, if I accidentally disconnect the camera or bring qdd to the foreground, it will crash. Once it crashes, the router seems to be holding onto network handle and I can't bring up qdd again without shutting down the router, turning it back on, waiting for it to be seen by windows 10, reconnecting to it, unplugging the HDMI cable, reconnecting with QDD, putting another program into the foreground, plugging into the HDMI cable again.

Not really a clean workflow.

Jan 08, 2017 at 06:06 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

well, i made it work. I had one snafu where the notebook went to sleep and when I woke it up, it triggered the UI for QDD which then crashed but this time, I was able to run the program again and it reconnected without me having to reset the router. It was much more reliable than eyefi which disconnects 7-8 times per photosession but doesn't crash...

Jan 08, 2017 at 10:23 PM
mrgetalife
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for wireless/battery router to autotransfer files to ipad/android/lightroom

Not sure when i'll have time but the Toshiba Air wifi card might work out.

The only issue is that it's peer to peer so you laptop's wifi network will only be connected to the card. I think.

However the downside to the product is the same as the EyeFi. Which is if your camera goes to power conserve mode. Like my Nikon D500 they took off the "eye-fi" integration they use for their other consumer models. All that option does is not turn off the SD card power while the camera goes to low power mode. I suspect your canon camera has the same issue.

My workaround is i have the LCD review screen set for 5 minutes so when i'm done shooting or not actively using the camera I press the Review button and it keeps the power to the card going.

Jan 09, 2017 at 12:40 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.