Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Exhibitions, preparing for them and expectations from the...

DM270

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Exhibitions, preparing for them and expectations from them. Patreon, will it help fund my work

Dear Members of FM forum,

It has been some time since my last thread (6 months ago I believe). Since then I have been busy with my documentary work and with setting up my charitable NGO. A couple of months back the Director from a communication based university offered me the chance to exhibit my work there. The university is one of the large ones in India with (According to the internet) over 28,000 students from 52 countries.

I want to try make most of this chance and wanted to ask the forum members if they have any experience in exhibiting or publishing their work. I also wanted to know what to expect from these kinds of events. The following are some thoughts and questions that I have been having:

1. I currently do any PP in an uncalibrated monitor, if I am getting the photographs printed should I make sure they look accurate on a calibrated monitor?
  2. Can I leverage the event to exhibit it in other places, such as art galleries in my own city?
  3. I need to fund raise, can I use these kinds of events for that?
  4. If yes how do I go about doing that?

Some examples of the kind of work I do:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B79y5eFglgZcYVdzZlJRUWpNZzA?usp=sharing

It may be my pessimism and nervousness talking but I have doubts regarding if the type and quality of my work is at the level where it should be for this kind of public event.

In order to continue doing my work in a non commercial manner I have to find other ways to raise funds. I wanted to know if any of the Forum Members have thoughts on Patreon.

To give context (Optional reading):

I am a photographer based in India. My goal has been, for a long time now, to use the creative arts as a way to help people. I found two ways of doing so. One is to create Learning Aids/Tools based on the Montessori Method and the other is as a story teller. Photography has been my go-to medium for this purpose.

Most of my work thus far has been centered around the field of Education. My products are used by over 700 children in 15+ schools in the country. My work as a creative artist has been used for Outreach/Awareness programs, Training and Research.

After witnessing first hand the fact that even the little bit of help that I can offer does help these children I decided to start this in a more formal fashion. As such I have created a charitable trust so that I can collaborate with other organizations and individuals.

It will take some time for me to find people who are willing to support my work because my organization is not tax exempted as yet. This process itself can take a few months. Because of this I wanted to turn to alternative ways of fundraising. I have been considering a site called Patreon since it claims to help content creators raise funds to continue doing what they are already doing.

This is also why I want to know if I can use an exhibition as a way to raise some funds. Thank you in advance for any advice or guidance on this matter.

Thanking you,
Arjun P

Jan 03, 2017 at 11:51 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Exhibitions, preparing for them and expectations from them. Patreon, will it help fund my work

These are very open ended questions and the answers will vary greatly depending on your locale and willingness to pursue your options.

1) Yes. Technical issues are best handled separately in the Post Processing & Printing forum as printing should be regarded as its own artistic endeavor. Since it is apparent you have not done much if any printing, find a photo printing house that you are comfortable working with and produces high quality results, high enough for gallery and museum sales.

2 etc.) You should work with galleries in your own city. You may also want to discuss your aspirations with other photographers and others in the artistic community in your locale for guidance. You may also want to seek legal advice regarding tax advice since your efforts are not currently exempted yet. This will have a significant impact on future income and disbursements.

Jan 04, 2017 at 05:16 PM
DM270

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Exhibitions, preparing for them and expectations from them. Patreon, will it help fund my work

Dear Bernie,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do intend to speak with a couple of photographers in the coming week. I will be applying for tax exemption status in a few days time. Without this there are few, if any, funding options. I have been considering using Patreon to generate a little income. If possible I'd like to request your thoughts on whether it can help.

I will be meeting the person who is offering the space in the coming week so I might get some more details. I do know that a local gallery has held exhibitions to support various causes but I felt that they may be more confident in allowing me to share my work if they know that others have done so too.

My financial requirements at this point in time (coming 3 months) are not high (at least according to me). I have a few people who claim that they are interested in supporting my work but till I get the tax exemption status both our hands are tied. At this point in time I am looking at the following requirements:

A fast lens between the ranges 24mm-35mm.
A fast lens on the longer end 85-135mm.
1-2 speedlights (in an Ideal world something from Yongnuo)
1 Rode mic (very basic mic for my video work)
In an ideal world I would also have a fish eye to capture tight areas. This is especially important for giving some context to the lives of people in a slum where we work with a couple of schools.

Since the places I shoot vary greatly in space (very often poorly lit) I am in desperate need for something other than my 50mm. I want to get some content to show that one of our schools needs another classroom desperately. There are 2 classrooms which can hold 25 children each and there are 125+ children.

If you look at the examples linked you will see one photograph where the children are working in the corridor. This has left them exposed to the weather. Parents have pulled some of the students out because of this. Getting the Govt to help has been virtually impossible (we have been trying for the past year). Thus my desire to get some local philanthropic organizations to help out.

Another project I want to do this month is to work with an organization offering education to children with cancer. They have been requesting my help for a while now but I really really want to do a good job. The stories they shared were nothing short of heartbreaking.

I am desperate enough to use a fully manual lens like the Samyang/Rokinon lenses even if MF isn't the best for focusing on constantly moving children. Sadly the lenses are way way overpriced here. The 85mm, for example, is 615 USD here versus 270 USD in the USA. The 35mm is worse at nearly 1000 USD.

Sorry about the rant, just a little frustrated because I'm not sure what I should do. I have a couple of months to complete some of these things or they will get pushed to 2018.

Thank you for your advice, I will take it to heart.

Regards,
Arjun P

Jan 04, 2017 at 06:44 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password