New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

FunkyPDB
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

First time asking for advice on anything I've shot before. No need to go easy on me!

Looking for advice on image composition and post processing critiques. I have messed around with each of these on Lightroom but I am admittedly a total noob at that. Also looking for good places for tutorials / online classes? Suggestions and critiques welcomed and appreciated!

SanDiegoSunset

Yellow Mushroom

Jan 03, 2017 at 12:09 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

First things first ... Welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

FM ROCKS !!!

Hey, that total noob thing ... guess what, we were all there at one time, so you're in good company.

More on the pics later, gotta run.

Jan 03, 2017 at 07:33 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

If you are going to post of this forum on a regular basis, you might want to find a different photo hosting service. A different service would allow posting of the images instead of links. Also your images cannot be copied. If that is what you want, fine. Many of us like to post images so others can work on them and show examples of how they would process them. Personally I just pay a few dollars a year, subscribe to this site and then can directly upload my downsized images.

As to the images themselves:

You have posted two completely different images: a sunset and mushrooms. There is nothing in common I could provide about processing so I will just make a few general remarks about each.

We all like the colors of a sunset, but photos of sunsets are more than common. In order to have some interest there needs to be something beyond just color. This lacks any sort of special interest and even the colors are nothing special. You can use post processing to modify the color but you are still not going to do much with this image.

The mushrooms seem more interesting because of the lighting. As a first step, I would suggest darkening the background to help retain interest on the mushrooms.

You asked about learning to use Lr. You can probably find some free online tutorials. I have not checked recently but you might find something at the BH Event Space video collection. There are many excellent pay sites. Kelby is probably the best known and most extensive. Other options are camera clubs and classes at a local college with a photography program.

Jan 03, 2017 at 08:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Jim gave and excellent reply, welcome to the forum.

Jan 03, 2017 at 11:52 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Welcome to the forum and PC!

+1 @ Jim's suggestions and comments.

I just stumbled upon this thread if it helps any. I don't use flickr so I have no idea what they're talking about but thought you might find it helpful.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1369568

Dave

Jan 03, 2017 at 12:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Looks like if you link directly to a specific size the image will display. I still suggest ponying up the small amount of cash and supporting this AWESOME site! I'll reply in a separate post.

San Diego Sunset
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/752/31258500703_fda52ef769_b.jpg

Yellow Mushroom
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/690/31970007386_9c8b6f31d3_c.jpg

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Well, the first step (posting) is usually the hardest so congrats on getting over that hurdle! Sounds like you've already got a receptive attitude and that helps as well.

+1 @ Jim's critique of the sunrise. Additionally the image is overly static with the very centered sun and 50:50 land/sky ratio.

I also agree that the mushroom is the more interesting subject between the two. I think you included a bit too much room up top that doesn't do much to enhance the image. You can crop it tighter and still convey the calm/subtle nature of a shaded forest.

I put together a quick food for thought B&W conversion below.

Cheers and welcome!

Jeff

Jan 03, 2017 at 09:14 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

+1 @ much of the others.

Took a stab at trying to provide varying points of interest. Not really where I'd like to land it just yet, but hopefully you get the gist.

BTW, what is your location / vantage point? I'm not quite able to discern where that stone wall is.

Edited on Jan 04, 2017 at 05:01 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2017 at 11:02 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Kent, the contrast and saturation boosts def help.

Maybe a little less aggressive on lifting the wall exposure?

Jeff

Jan 04, 2017 at 12:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Yeah, maybe a bit much ... needs some color NR applied also.

Jan 04, 2017 at 01:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

A few tweaks, including a WB shift warmer, USM, NR & crop.

Jan 04, 2017 at 09:50 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Quite a pleasing palette.

Jan 04, 2017 at 10:05 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

beavens wrote:
Quite a pleasing palette.

Thanks Jeff.

Jan 05, 2017 at 03:19 AM
FunkyPDB
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · San Diego Sunset & Yellow Mushroom

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

RE: sunset, I was hoping that the rock wall (which I am leaning up against on my left) offered enough in the way of interesting foreground to set the stage for the dramatic drop and ocean / islands behind, but maybe they are too far away to be interesting and there's not much in between?

RE: the mushroom, I like the cropped color rendition.

Trying to figure out what my overall style is. I have been shooting casually for about 8 years and am basically self taught. Trying to figure out what my style of shooting is, I can't seem to narrow down my interests enough to get good at one thing. Composition (I think) is my biggest hurdle to get over and the rest will follow. I'll keep the shots coming and look forward to more feedback in the future!

Jan 06, 2017 at 09:17 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.