Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · X100 Focus...Am I doing everything I can?

unangelino
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X100 Focus...Am I doing everything I can?

I've owned and pretty much loved two X100 and an X100S (which I didn't love quite as much).

I use the X100 for pretty much everything I enjoy to shooting with the rare exception of some macro stuff that I use my trusty Nikon D200 for. I love the X100's weight (or lack thereof) and the color I get from the Fuji JPGs. Of late, though, I've been bugged by too many OOF portraits. I'm sure it's operator error. My landscape stuff simply lets me get away with too much but my portraits show I have yet to master the X100's focusing potential.

First, a question:

In AF-C the center focusing rectangle becomes a cross. Does the center of the cross truly become the point of focus or is the cross shape intended more as just a reminder that I'm burning up a lot of battery power in AF-C? My hope is that it would define the true center of the focus point but I'm not sure this is true.

Here are the steps I've taken to minimize OOF so far:

1) I'm upping the minimum shutter speed to 1/60th.
2) I'm letting ISO go all the way to 3200.
3) I'm trying to focus on a high contrast area.
4) In AF-S I'm trying to make sure the entirety of the box is over my intended area of focus so that I don't have a portion of the box over my point of focus with a bit of the box on the background.
5) I'm trying to stay away from f/2 (and its razor thin DOF) unless I really need it.

Again, my simple tests show me there's not a dang thing wrong with my X100.

Is there more I can to maximize my percentage of in-focus portraits?

Thanks for reading!

Jan 02, 2017 at 10:41 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X100 Focus...Am I doing everything I can?

unangelino wrote:
I've owned and pretty much loved two X100 and an X100S (which I didn't love quite as much).

I use the X100 for pretty much everything I enjoy to shooting with the rare exception of some macro stuff that I use my trusty Nikon D200 for. I love the X100's weight (or lack thereof) and the color I get from the Fuji JPGs. Of late, though, I've been bugged by too many OOF portraits. I'm sure it's operator error. My landscape stuff simply lets me get away with too much but my portraits show I have yet to master the X100's
...Show more

This is what I would try first. Up your shutter speed to reduce camera shake and make your focus square smaller to focus on the eyes.

Jan 03, 2017 at 06:13 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.